PDA

View Full Version : casting 1oz slugs

par0thead151
03-28-2009, 11:20 PM
i just bought a 1 oz lee slug mould. it works like a charm.
can i use a bird shot hull as a sabbot for this load or am i better off getting the ones that the reloading manual calls for? i am reading my tutorial tonight on loading cast slugs, so bear with my noob questions.
thanks

runfiverun
03-29-2009, 12:04 AM
you mean the wad right?
if it measures out should be no problem.
you might want to use the federal straight walled hulls.

par0thead151
03-29-2009, 12:31 AM
DOOH, yes i had meant to say wad.
i do plan on loading to the specs of the hulls, and sorting all the hulls i do have.
and only reload the hulls recommended for slugs and buckshot

thebigmac
03-29-2009, 10:15 PM
I have a 4 holer made by an old machinest and it has an adjustable base bolt that makes it a 'hollow base'. I have been shooting them for many, many years now. I use the ww white 12 ga. Wad over 26 gr. Of unique. With this load, from a modifide choke, i can hit a dinner plate from 100 yds almost every shot. BE SURE it fits the casing without making a bulge. i have a lot of mt's. from a police range. they are even marked for the slug.....Mac

par0thead151
03-30-2009, 12:42 AM
i need to buy a shotgun cast boolit manual... but until i do(im not loading till i do, so no worries there).
do i need a filler to bring the tip of the slug flush with the top crimp area of the hull? or is it ok to have the slug recessed in the hull? i tried one slug loading to see what it would look like( i am throwing this away, as it was more of a curiosity test)
thanks

lead Foot
03-30-2009, 03:11 AM
Big Mac's on the money. I don't use a filler. I use a Winchester WAA 12 1 1/8 oz wad. Be careful of wad pressure though. I do have better results with the 7/8 LEE slug and a full choke but try the modified choke first.
Lead Foot.:drinks:

randyrat
03-30-2009, 06:48 AM
I have a 4 holer made by an old machinest and it has an adjustable base bolt that makes it a 'hollow base'. I have been shooting them for many, many years now. I use the ww white 12 ga. Wad over 26 gr. Of unique. With this load, from a modifide choke, i can hit a dinner plate from 100 yds almost every shot. BE SURE it fits the casing without making a bulge. i have a lot of mt's. from a police range. they are even marked for the slug.....Mac Sounds great. Is that a 1 oz slug? And what size wad do you use?

par0thead151
03-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Big Mac's on the money. I don't use a filler. I use a Winchester WAA 12 1 1/8 oz wad. Be careful of wad pressure though. I do have better results with the 7/8 LEE slug and a full choke but try the modified choke first.
Lead Foot.:drinks:

im shooting out of a mossberg 590A1. it does not have a choke, at least to the best of my knowledge