PDA

View Full Version : Pistol paper cartridges

docone31
03-28-2009, 08:55 PM
I have searched for, and could not find, any tutorials on makeing paper cartridges for my Walker, and Navy .44.
A long time ago, I had a book on makeing paper cartridges involveing a dowel tapered into a cone.
Any info?

Slowpoke
03-28-2009, 09:40 PM
I have searched for, and could not find, any tutorials on makeing paper cartridges for my Walker, and Navy .44.
A long time ago, I had a book on makeing paper cartridges involveing a dowel tapered into a cone.
Any info?

Try this

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15009&hilit=Paper+Cartridges&sid=1bb04074da5ac63241586f914fa3339f

Old Ironsights
03-28-2009, 09:43 PM
No text... but you will get the drift.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/Paper%20Cartridge/

docone31
03-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Ask, and Ye shall recieve!
I do find myself running with the right crowd.
Thanks guys.
When I am not paper patching, I can be rolling cartridges.

Yance
03-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Before I "knew better" I used a short piece of aluminum tubing that was slightly under the diameter of the chambers on my Colt repro to form cigarette paper tubes and secure them to the ball with a light ring of Duco cement.

The tubes were charged from my flask, then the excess paper was trimmed to a length that would allow slitting and folding to close the back end. That was secured with another dab of Duco.

Being a styrene glue cap flash had no problem burning through to the charge.

While not "period correct" it was a very workable solution for an early "speed loader".<G>

The tied cartridges, and especially the labeled packaging are WAY neat!!!

jhrosier
03-29-2009, 07:45 AM
With all of the new state and federal taxes, cigarette papers are going to be very expensive.
The thin tissue paper used to wrap gifts might make a good substitute.

Jack

Maven
03-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Also, cigarrette papers are treated so that they continue to burn even when you're not puffing.drawing on the cigarrette. If you use tissue paper, which should be perfect, would you also dip it in a saturated KNO3 solution* (and dry it, of course) so that it would be completely consumed upon firing?

*Not sure how easily you can get KNO3 anymore.

docone31
03-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Stump out. Home Depot.

1874Sharps
04-27-2009, 06:23 PM
I have had good luck "rolling my own" C&B revolver (an original 1863 Starr that shoots as well as any modern handgun I have) using cigarette paper. I lick the adhesive and stick it to the ball at the corner and use a dowel butted up to the ball and roll it up. I then charge the rolled paper and twist off the end. In the field or at the range (or at a CAS match) I bite off the twisted end and pour the powder into the chamber and push the paper into the chamber over the powder and ram it home. The cigarette paper is not cheap, but it is thin and nitrated so it is quickly and completely consumed.

I did not know that KNO3 was available from the Home Depot as "stump out". Thanks for that info! I think I will try picking some up and treating some watch paper (it comes in 4X4 squares and is quite thin and strong) to make some paper C&B cartridges. That is bound to be cheaper than buying cigarette paper!

1874Sharps
05-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Docone31: I looked up the material safety data sheet (MSDS) for "stump out" and it turns out it is actually not KNO3, but rather it is sodium pyrosulphite (Na2S2O5). I searched online, though, and found that KNO3 can be obtained cheap from American Pyrotechnic Supply, alond with alot of other cool stuff.

WickedGoodOutdoors
05-11-2009, 10:32 AM
KNO3

Homey Depot has 50 pound Bags of it for $47.00 and be sure to ask for your 10% Veterans Discount!

Boil some water and mix it in until it is the consistancy of Maple Syrup. then dip your PRECUT gift wrap paper into it and let it air dry on a plastic window screen outside with News papers under it to catch the drippins.

Use the Newspapers as Firestarters for your Bonfires outside.

1874Sharps
05-11-2009, 06:29 PM
NEWENGLANDCHARTERS: What product name is KNO3 sold under at Home Depot? It did not show up on the HD website when searched for by its chemical name.

felix
05-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Get it at any chemical supply house. Your use for it would be experimental soap manufacturing. You can also get it at any large fertilizer depot, usually found around large farming communities. You want regular commercial or agriculture grade if cheaper than chemical grade. My favorite distributor is Harcros Chemical. ... felix

WickedGoodOutdoors
05-11-2009, 07:43 PM
NEWENGLANDCHARTERS: What product name is KNO3 sold under at Home Depot? It did not show up on the HD website when searched for by its chemical name.

They hide it in the Garden center section in Big Bags. Looks like this.\\

http://krimzonpyro.com.ve.carpathiahost.net/ep/projectsdevicesdir/kno3fertilizer2.jpg

Soap?

Granny makes Soap out of Hog Jowels and Lye

http://www.pacificspirit.org/news/uploaded_images/GrannyClampett-729655.jpg

1874Sharps
05-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the photo of the fertilizer bag from Home Depot. That makes it a bit easier to find once I get there. Just a word of advice about working with heavily nitrated paper and rolling them: Do not lick the edge of the paper to stick it together, or Little Mister Happy will take a few hours before he can again snap to attention!

JW6108
05-11-2009, 09:26 PM
When I made cartridges for a single shot many years ago, I was able to get potassium nitrate from the drugstore in 2 or 3 oz containers. Might be worth hunting up to keep from having a big bag laying around.

rhead
05-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the photo of the fertilizer bag from Home Depot. That makes it a bit easier to find once I get there. Just a word of advice about working with heavily nitrated paper and rolling them: Do not lick the edge of the paper to stick it together, or Little Mister Happy will take a few hours before he can again snap to attention!

So that is why my oatmeal has been tasting funny:roll:

felix
05-11-2009, 11:49 PM
No, get the big bag. Also at the gardening center (or chemical house) get same size bag of mono-ammonium phosphate. That will give you a very good house plant fertilizer when mixed together equally. ... felix

59sharps
05-12-2009, 08:34 PM
hair curler or perm papers (goodys Ibeleave isthe brand) from walMart rite aid or cVS hair care section
KNO3 can be bought on flea bay I mean ebay and yes that is where I buy mine. forglue i use water glass (sodium silate) cangetfromthe chemistry store. Only thing it isby the gal. bought mine 6 yrs ago still have 3 qts left.

fiberoptik
05-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Waterglass can be had at Walmart in the pharmacy dept. Comes in bottles like the rubbing alc. & peroxide.
[smilie=1:

Hang Fire
05-29-2009, 06:09 AM
With all of the new state and federal taxes, cigarette papers are going to be very expensive.
The thin tissue paper used to wrap gifts might make a good substitute.

Jack

Not my cup of tea, but scroll down and look at the Saran Wrap cartridges for C&B.

http://minionreport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32597&page=4