PDA

View Full Version : MidwayUSA rocks!

supv26
03-28-2009, 04:59 PM
I just placed an order about an hour ago for my .44 mag mold and some brass and other things and it has already shipped!!!!!!!! And this is Saturday!!!!
Ok, time to get to smelting!!!! I have to get ready to make some 44 slugs!!!!!!
:Fire::Fire::Fire:

docone31
03-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Sometimes, Midway is not the absolute best price, but, I feel good dealing with them.
They stand behind their products.
Maybe they are just a tad higher, I am satisfied.

j20owner
03-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Uh, yeah. I ordered a mold, a taper crimp die, some 1911 magazine base pads, and a pistol rotor and mic for Hornady's powder measure. It took about 41 hours from time order was placed(1:00am Wednesday morning) to Thursday afternoon(6pm) to get to me. Time would have been shorter had I orderd later in the morning and if UPS wasn't such a pain in the bumpkiss to do business with.

snaggdit
03-28-2009, 05:20 PM
I've had a set of Lyman 380 dies on backorder since the beginning of Feb with Midway. Today I found a set of RCBS dies at the gun show (for $20), look next to brand new. I called Midway and cancelled my backorder. The rep was really nice. Looked for some .243 bullets for me (no luck in 100gr). Turns out the 380 CP bullets I was also waiting on will ship now that I'm not waiting on the dies. I have always been happy with Midway. Most everyone is backordered on stuff. The price might be a buck or 2 more, but I have had the best luck finding most of my shopping lists in one place there.

j20owner
03-28-2009, 05:33 PM
I agree snaggdit. I had the mold that I ordered on my wishlist since Jan. I didn't wait once it was available.[smilie=l:

supv26
03-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Yea, I have found out that is you do not order ASAP when it becomes available you are gonna be out a luck!

Fire_stick
03-28-2009, 06:54 PM
+1 for Midway

kingstrider
03-28-2009, 08:38 PM
I ordered items from both Miday and Midsouth on Wednesday as neither had everything I wanted. Both orders landed Friday but I cannot say one has any advantage over the other. Midway's prices are higher but they do have a bigger selection.

dwtim
03-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Midway has never same-day shipped anything I have ever ordered. It usually takes at least 48 hours, and they charge a lot for shipping. Plus they charge more for product than any competitor except Cabelas. On the upside, they stock a lot of items.

I'm crossing my fingers hoping that Midway is not a sponsor here, but that's the honest truth.

Willbird
03-28-2009, 10:16 PM
I can top that story, I ordered last week, it was on Wednesday at 8am, 38 seconds after I clicked the mouse it was delivered, they split shipped my 9 items in 10 boxes and charged me $12.95 per box, but DAMN was it fast.

Bill

2muchstuf
03-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Willbird now that's just not true is it?

But I will say that just last night I made an order and within about 38 seconds it was confirmed.

waco
03-28-2009, 11:16 PM
last night i ordered a 20# lee pot, and lyman 4 cavity handles
both are backordered, but it confirmed in minutes
hope to have the pot in a week or so.......mabey a month for the handles:twisted:
waco

Tom Herman
03-29-2009, 12:59 AM
I'm not quite happy with Midway at present... I ordered a caliper on special back in late January along with a mold and handles. The caliper shipped, but the savings on the item were more than erased by a ridiculous shipping charge.
Now it's the end of March, I still don't have my Lyman .38/.357 mold or the handles... And last week they showed the mold in stock, now it's out again, so I don't know what's happening.
I'll be happy to see the mold when it comes in, but I'm less than pleased right now.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

buck1
03-29-2009, 01:12 AM
The $hipping has seen me move some to graft and sons . not as fast but easy on the wallet.
I bought 303 brit brass from midsouth at about half the price of midway.
But all in all I like em all. Midway does give us Wednsday night at the range on the outdoor channel.
I guess I have came to spread it arround some kind of thinking. Keeps the compitition strong and helps keep em all honest to a point....Buck

Recluse
03-29-2009, 03:42 AM
My biggest beef with Midway is their ridiculous shipping charges and policies, along with the nasty little habit of something suddenly going on backorder, then getting shipped out the following day for a whole new shipping charge. I've had that happen on several occasions and I called them up about it. Was polite, but in no way did they mistake my unhappiness. Got the charges "reduced" and credited back to my card.

Last order I did with them, I found out that the actual shipping cost from UPS was less than $7 and I got charged over $15--and that's not taking into account the discount they get for volume business with UPS.

If it weren't for their Congressional-like shipping policies/prices, I'd probably be one of their biggest fans. Great catalogue, great website, great selection, great customer service.

:coffee:

ddeaton
03-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Midway has no molds at all in stock and their website is not working right. If you click on any category you only get 1 page of items. Most of the molds are missing. Cant even get to them. I agree I have had decent luck in the past, but when they only have a few 1 cavity molds in stock I am going elsewhere.

BPCR Bill
03-29-2009, 10:48 AM
A couple years ago I ordered some 20:1 certified alloy, and when it arrived I noticed it was half what I had ordered. I checked the packing slip to see if the remainder was shipped in another box or backordered, and nope, it was a short order. I called Midway, and the rep apologized and no questions asked shipped the remainder of the alloy to me. Great customer service I think. I know some folks think they're a bit high priced and some have been jilted a time or two, but I honestly believe they are trying to put the customer first with a good selection of products and great service. I'll never order anything from Cabela's again. I have too many issues with them to even begin on this thread.

Regards,
Bill

fatnhappy
03-29-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm crossing my fingers hoping that Midway is not a sponsor here, but that's the honest truth.

even if they were, I can tell you this site wouldn't censor your post. That's not how management here conducts themselves.

mike in co
03-29-2009, 10:54 AM
I just placed an order about an hour ago for my .44 mag mold and some brass and other things and it has already shipped!!!!!!!! And this is Saturday!!!!
Ok, time to get to smelting!!!! I have to get ready to make some 44 slugs!!!!!!
:Fire::Fire::Fire:

i hate to bust your bubble, but in all probability they are on a ups trailer, sitting on midways dock till monday am.
or the same if shipped usps

check the tracking number if a ups shipment.
now, i still like midway for some items
never order unless it is in stock.
i have posted before, ordered monday rec'd on wed......

mike in co

ddeaton
03-29-2009, 11:01 AM
I just ordered 2 44 Lyman molds from Graft, in stock. Cant even get to them on Midways website. Up to now I have used Midway all the time. Anyone else having trouble with the page thing on Midways site?

j20owner
03-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Well, I just checked, and it is only showing one page of items. I was able to view Lyman molds by clicking on the lyman link to the left of the page, but it still only showed one page. Never seen that before.

ddeaton
03-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Im in the ordering mood and cant get nowhere![smilie=1:

mooman76
03-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Midway has always done right by me. I agree on the backorder thin and I won't backorder with them because of the extra shipping charges and I typically don't like waiting for something that I have no idea when it will come in unless there is no other way. I used to deal with Natchets and still do occationally. Midway is closer for me and so I get my stuff a week sooner and Natchets doesn't give me the shipping options Midway does. Not trying to pick a fight but I don't understand why allot of people here have a problem with Midway shipping costs. They seem reasonable to me and they give you allot of options on how you want your items shipped. They basically charge what actual shipping costs are.

ddeaton
03-29-2009, 01:31 PM
I dont have a problem with their shipping costs, they dont have any molds in stock and their website doesnt work now.Sorry, just ranting.

mpmarty
03-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Midway is a fine company lost in the maze of its own computer programs. I ordered a Lyman manual from them and as i was checking out noticed digital calipers on sale from Frankford arsenal. I have a pair already but would like a second set so I added the calipers to my order. Now the caliper weighs about four ounces or less but it added nearly twelve dollars to my shipping cost. I removed the caliper and just bought the book. I'll struggle along with just one until I find a deal at a show.

supv26
03-29-2009, 03:28 PM
I did see that Midway is out of stock on a lot of molds but I was lucky and they had the exact one I was looking for.

Also, I bet my stuff I orderd yesterday is sitting on the dock or in a trailer waiting to leave on Monday. Columbia is only about a 2 hour drive for me but the shipping is still cheaper than the gas it would take to pick up.

As for shipping charges, I feel they are more than fair with the price. We do a lot of mail order/shipping stuff and shipping is high anymore. By the time you buy all the packing materials/peanuts, tape, boxes, paper for printing labels, trip to the post office/ups store, you will see they are not not too high at all. I am sure they do not scrounge around the grocery stores, etc, to find free boxes and packing materials and have to pay for all of it.

mike in co
03-29-2009, 03:50 PM
dd

i just went to miday's pistol bullet mold section for 44's

YES JUST ONE PAGE
BUT
FIFTY ITEMS LONG

go back and look..i think the site is fine

mike in co

Willbird
03-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Midway is a fine company lost in the maze of its own computer programs. I ordered a Lyman manual from them and as i was checking out noticed digital calipers on sale from Frankford arsenal. I have a pair already but would like a second set so I added the calipers to my order. Now the caliper weighs about four ounces or less but it added nearly twelve dollars to my shipping cost. I removed the caliper and just bought the book. I'll struggle along with just one until I find a deal at a show.

That MAY be because the book can go media mail ?? The caliper cannot.

Take a look at the Lee 6 cavity pistol molds for .452 dia, Midway only shows TWO varieties of 6 cav molds, but Lee says they make a total of NINE 6 .452 6 cavity molds.

Bill

ddeaton
03-29-2009, 05:29 PM
dd

i just went to miday's pistol bullet mold section for 44's

YES JUST ONE PAGE
BUT
FIFTY ITEMS LONG

go back and look..i think the site is fine

mike in co

Not on my pc, shows 1 page of 15 molds all of which are Lee and not even all of them. Click on All manufacturers and thats what you get. Click on the other brands and you just get one page.

Tom W.
03-29-2009, 10:30 PM
I just ordered some gas checks, a bullet mold and a set of dies. No problems at all, and I even got my Birthday Discount, such as it is....

sleeper1428
03-30-2009, 02:40 AM
The only problem I can see with ordering from Midway is likely to occur should you order, for example, 5K each of two or more different sizes/types of primers which, of course, are on backorder at this time. If those backorders come in, let's say, three days apart, Midway is going to send you the first one to come in and you'll incur a Hazmat charge of $20 extra. Then three days later when the second backorder comes in, you'll once again get slapped with the $20 Hazmat charge when Midway ships that order. If Midway had simply held your first order until the second arrived, you'd only have incurred a single $20 Hazmat fee since the first $20 fee is sufficient to cover a total of 10K primers. Obviously, a simple way around this is to order primers in 10K increments, each increment incurring the $20 Hazmat fee, but not everyone wants or needs that many primers at one time.

Now, before anyone jumps on me, I know that Midway is showing virtually all primers out of stock with no backorders allowed. However, just a couple of months ago I put 5K of two different pistol primers on my wish list but then when I received notice that one of the two had come in, I called Midway and asked if they would hold that order until the other one came in so that I'd only have to pay one $20 Hazmat fee. No dice. They said they don't have that capability and that they ship out orders and/or backorders as soon as they arrive regardless of what else you may have on order. Hopefully they'll upgrade their ordering system to allow one to specify that they wish Midway to hold all backorders until such time as ALL backordered items are available, thus limiting multiple shipping charges and multiple Hazmat fees.

Other than this potential problem, I've had very good service from Midway and have ordered LOTS of stuff from them over the past 20+ years.

armyrat1970
03-30-2009, 04:19 AM
Always have ordered from Midway until my last order of #2 alloy. I ordered from Wideners because they were cheaper. Was told they had an 18 day shipping delay. Ordered on 3/20. Haven't received it yet but I can wait. Midway would have already had it to my door but as I said I can wait for it for the cheaper price. Never had a problem with anything from Midway.

C A Plater
03-30-2009, 10:22 AM
I've always had pretty good luck with Midway. One thing that keeps the frustration level down is my no back order policy with them. If they don't have it, I take the order to Grafs, Midsouth, Lock Stock & Barrel or somebody else. If nobody has it, I use the email notification when it is in stock and keep an item or two in my wish list to fill out the order. I do think their new style web site sucks. Breaks down a lot with server errors especially on the sale pages and is often just plain slow. I think their web wiz kids have run amok.

exile
03-30-2009, 12:23 PM
My biggest beef is with Cabela's. I bought 3,000 primers from them at exhorbitant prices. Got home and found that the box of large pistol primers was short 100. I called immediately and the guy acted like I was lying. Talked to customer service and they said they would make it right but never did. They will not get any more of my business. It's a shame too because every once in a while my wife and I would drive over for something. Turns out Midsouth was cheaper on primers even with shipping and Hazemat, Starline is MUCH cheaper on brass once I figured out that their prices include shipping. It all worked out though because it caused me to order primers from Midsouth.

As far as Midway goes, I try to hold off until I have an order big enough to make the shipping worthwhile. Guess it makes me feel better. I foolishly ordered a subscription to Handloader magazine from them once, and they charged me shipping, even though they did not ship anything. Go figure.

I have been very pleased though with custormer service from Midway, Midsouth and Starline. I have ordered from Starline twice lately, got the same kindly older woman both times. Sounds like she is working hard down there though, especially around the time of the DOD brass issue.

I wish companies could figure out how important customer service is. People will put up with almost anything if you treat them with courtesy and respect.

exile

wildwes
03-31-2009, 09:12 PM
I usually have really good luck with Midway, they always ship my orders faster than Grafs or Buffalo Arms, and I've never ordered from Midsouth but once, so I can't compare to them. Generally if I order from midway on a tuesday it is here at my house in NC by thursday or friday. Cabelas does good for me too, most of the time.

SWIAFB
06-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Great customer service. I just recieved an order that I placed on Friday, A can of Kroil had seeped out about 1/2. I emailed Midway and had a no cost replacement confirmed in less than an hour. I"m very happy with them. I do not back-order any items . SWIAFB

06-03-2009, 11:55 AM
I too have had pretty good luck with midway, but it is mainly because of some of the rules you all have in place for yourselves.

1. no backorders
2. order in big enough lots to make shipping sense

I use the availibility notice for stuff I am not in a rush for. For those things that I am, I go elsewhere. I would like to do more in-person shopping, but most folks are out of stuff, there isn't alot of places close by, and the one place that could actually keep anything in stock (within reason) went out of business because the owner couldnt find a buyer. Midway has the most of what I need most of the time.

TRguy
06-03-2009, 04:24 PM
I got nothing but a big plus 1 for Midway

On time

and

Orders are always right.

I have had a few things on backorder before, I don't mind a few extra dollars shipping.

:drinks:

DeepSouth
06-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Have to go with Grafs.Placed an order on 4-1-09 recvd on 4-3-09.The ladies on the phone are some of the nicest people I've ever dealt with.I have been waiting for lr primers,5lbsRL7 and some 7.62 x 39 brass for about 2 months.Every time I've called to check on my order they have been just as nice as can be.Called today and everything but the primers are in.I said that was great and the lady on the phone reminded me if I had it sent that I would pay hazmat on the powder and then pay hazmat again on the primers.I told her I could wait till everything was there before having it sent out.I like their customer service.Think how many times a day their asked about primer orders.

Down South
06-04-2009, 12:28 AM
I've ordered from Midway a few times and may some day order from them again. I can usually find better prices and better Shipping prices at other places.

Ole
06-04-2009, 12:36 AM
I just got a shipment from Midway that I ordered last weekend.

3000 gas checks and a spare mag for my 9mm.

:) Shipping wasn't bad at all (USPS priority flat rate)

dwtim
06-04-2009, 01:16 AM
even if they were, I can tell you this site wouldn't censor your post. That's not how management here conducts themselves.

My apologies. I didn't mean it as a dig to the management. I was just hoping that I didn't say something that could financially hurt one of my favorite websites.

wallenba
06-04-2009, 03:35 PM
I have good and bad experiences with Midway. Good...they ship right away when in stock, bad...the ship what they have in stock on your order, then ship the back order separately(double shipping). Bad...they don't bring in back order stock sometimes for months, I've actually ordered Lee items that they back ordered, waited weeks, then canceled and ordered direct from Lee with no problems except higher price from Lee.

wallenba
06-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Ditto, learned that lesson too!

dolang1
06-25-2009, 09:24 AM
I've been watching an order from Midway on my wishlist since March. Everytime one of the five items would go off of the backorder list, another would come on. I tried timeing my order with their expected due date. didn't work. finally because of someone on this thread, I checked with Grafs and got three items from Graf and Sons and two from Midway. All items were ordered on the same day and they all arrived on the same day, with no discernible difference in price. I'm pretty happy with both companys.
But, now it's too hot in Oklahoma to turn on a lead pot. Later Don

inuhbad
06-25-2009, 10:22 AM
I submitted an order last Friday. They told me it'd arrive this WEDNESDAY!!!

But unfortunately they were WRONG!!!

It was on the front steps come Monday morning - a full 2 days early!

jcdean
06-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Dolang1

I live in South OKC. I just set my pot out on the drive yesterday and it kept the heat for casting to past 9 PM last night. :roll:

I got in 8 sticks of lube and a new de-humidifier for my safe from Midway that I ordered Monday. Now I just need to get up early Saturday while it is a bit cool and use some of that lube.

dolang1
06-25-2009, 01:14 PM
jcdean, We're neighbors. I live out by the airport. I'm going to cast some 38s tonight. My brother is bringing a bucket of WWs to trade for bullets. I'll just have to be careful not to let any sweat drip into the pot. Later Don

Big Tom
06-26-2009, 08:29 AM
I ordered a mold and got it within two days. The price was better than competitors and even if it was within reason higher, I would prefer them because of their customer service and commitment to quality of the products they sell.
It was a bit disappointing when they had all the computer problems but that seems to be resolved as well. So my choice (normally) is Midway and they do a good job keeping me satisfied as a customer.

Tom

CastorRiver
06-28-2009, 11:46 PM
This is a note with a big BUT.
Midway is a class act. They started the NRA Roundup program and have raised big bucks to help protect our firearms freedoms. Larry Potterfield personally answered one of my emails about an Uncle Mike's gunbelt and offered to refund my money despite a long delay between purchase and complaint. I live in the St. Louis area and several times received an order THE NEXT DAY after placing it.
I reduced the number of orders I made at Midway when they stopped pricing everything with shipping included in the price. Then they instituted minimum orders and shipping charges went up and up. The last straw, though, is that they charge sales tax for Missouri purchasers. I love and respect the company, BUT,.....
Since discovering MidSouth I have moved my business to them and never looked back. Cheaper than Midway, very personable on the phone, and no sales tax. Excellent service.
FWIW.

inuhbad
06-29-2009, 11:00 AM
CastorRiver,

The 'last straw' has nothing to do with Midway's policy. That's unavoidable. ALL websites MUST charge state sales tax if the individual purchasing from them resides in the SAME STATE as the company they're ordering from... If I order online from DPMS, SportsmansGuide, or SLR-15 or other companies - anything I buy has SALES TAX because I also live in Minnesota - same as those companies.

It's the same way across the nation and has nothing to do with Midway's policies. It's unavoidable.

MidSouth doesn't charge you sales tax because you live in MO, and they're located in TN.

It's just how purchasing on the internet works. Minimum Orders is a company policy, but to some businesses it makes sense.

As for the shipping no longer being incorporated into the price, and also the price increases - that's been seen all across the board these past ~2 years or so.

It's a direct result of FUEL PRICES.

Most retailers with such a substantially HUGE array of products being offered will have a LARGE problem keeping up with RAPIDLY changing shipping charges (which are based upon FUEL prices) and then trying to incorporate those shipping charges into the price of each & every product they offer? Last summer the prices on their products online would have been changing DAILY as gasoline prices jumped up to nearly $4 a gallon in some areas!

As such, many online retailers had to stop listing their prices as 'includes shipping'. If they didn't do so they'd get complaints from customers b!tch!ng about how their prices are changing every single day! This way they can say our price is $XX.XX plus whatever is the best going rate we can find at your time of purchase. Their prices look more stable, they get fewer complaints, and then people can't b!tc# that they're being 'ripped off' by being charged a 'Flat' shipping fee (even though the fee is NOT flat). The 'flat fee' has come back to bite Ammoman.com in the **** (as well as some other business practices he's undertaken over the years), and I'm sure Midway is just trying to avoid the same mistakes of other online retailers.

I, for one, like their business practices. I order from BOTH Midway and MidSouth and have had good service & prices from BOTH companies. But I wouldn't hold it against Midway about the Sales Tax issue - it's not their fault that they have to abide by tax laws.

Not sure if Midway does this, but with SportsmansGuide, I can print out what I want online, and simply drive 20 minutes down there and walk into their lobby to buy whatever I want - this way I completely avoid any shipping charges. Saves me about $20 bucks on ammo purchases, and I can take it home with me right away (no delay waiting for shipping).

Cowboy5780
06-29-2009, 11:39 AM
I sure cant argue about Midways service a few weeks ago i ordered a mold on Saturday, imagine my surprise about it showing up on Monday... They always give good service even thou you do pay extra for it in price comparison.

Dframe
06-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Mixed results from midway. Sometimes very good sometimes NOT. They frequently advertise items they do not have in stock and they have some bad legal advise regarding where and to whom they can ship some items. A dealer friend tried to order a black powder pistol and they flatly refused to sell him one. He is a class 2 manufacturer of machine guns and midway STUBBORNLY refused to ship to him.
On things READILY available they are good and their customer service on returns is excellent.
When I can, I order from their competition now.

XWrench3
06-30-2009, 09:49 AM
i have been buying from midway for years. they have always treated me very well. once in a while, i find some stuff a little cheaper elsewhere, but most of the time they are very competitive. plus, you can actually see what you are buying before you order it, unlike some of the other websites where you are buying a pig in a poke. someday, when computer sppeds get up to snuff, and the pricing is right, we may actually get 3-d pics from them on each item. but right now, it is just not feasable.