PDA

View Full Version : '06 and PB Boolits

Marlin Junky
03-28-2009, 04:55 PM
There's not a lot of offerings out there for PB molds suitable for the '06 anymore and I was wondering which of the following would be a better fit in a Pre-64 M70:

RCBS 30-150-CM
SAECO 630

I've tried loading 311410 into '06 cases and with my equipment, they don't go in the case straight and don't reach the rifling even seated to 3.15" (which doesn't quite cover the lube groove).

If there's anyone out there who may have a .30 PB mold that casts a boolit about 150 grains and they would like to sell or trade it, please let me know. I purchased a 4C SAECO 322 a few years ago and have never used it. I have a couple 44 molds and may even have a .35 or .30 caliber mold that I may be willing to part with in a trade.

My goal is to meet or exceed the accuracy of the best .22LR ammo and beat the rimfire by a couple hundred feet per second.

MJ

P.S. Here's something I haven't tried yet but I was wondering if I could get input on it: Is it possible to get good accuracy if the GC is left off the GC shank? Here's another idea: remove the GC shank on a suitable bullet mold by carefully drilling the mold out with a 5/16" drill.

docone31
03-28-2009, 05:05 PM
MJ, I went light when I started casting. Phooey! I was casting, and still thinking swaged.
Go heavy. 180gns is my favourite casing. round nose, good weight.
I am not even going to talk about going paper!
Go with the Lee 180gn .30cal mold. Gas check.
That is the one I paper patch. It did ok with just gas checks also. The nose on mine drops at .301.
I would size it to .310.

Jack Stanley
03-28-2009, 05:24 PM
I've had very good results leaving the gas checks off with five or six different molds and using Universal clays powder . The bullets are as light as the Lyman 311466 and as heavy as the NEI group buy for the 308-235gc . Powder charges are fron seven and a half grains up to eleven point two . Velocities may be as high as fourteen hundred but I haven't got the chronograph out as yet to see .

The heavy bullets tend to favor one hole groups at rimfire ranges and no leading has shown up to mar the fun as of yet . I think I could increase the charge a little without leading if I wanted to . The best I have shot was the 311334 but that one did like a check applied . I am working with a 314299 without checks that is showing great promise .

I do size them at .311" or .312" . As long as the loaded ammo fits the chamber without forcing it , I think that is why it's working so well for me .

Jack

Marlin Junky
03-28-2009, 05:33 PM
MJ, I went light when I started casting. Phooey! I was casting, and still thinking swaged.
Go heavy. 180gns is my favourite casing. round nose, good weight.
I am not even going to talk about going paper!
Go with the Lee 180gn .30cal mold. Gas check.
That is the one I paper patch. It did ok with just gas checks also. The nose on mine drops at .301.
I would size it to .310.

docone31,

I'm still working PP but that's with my .35W for now. I don't like casting with Lee molds however... sorry.

MJ

Marlin Junky
03-28-2009, 05:37 PM
I am working with a 314299 without checks that is showing great promise .

I do size them at .311" or .312" . As long as the loaded ammo fits the chamber without forcing it , I think that is why it's working so well for me .

Jack

Jack,

We are still talking about an '06, right? I've got a 311284 mold and wouldn't mind picking up another 200-ish grain mold but wouldn't the nose on 314299 be too fat for a M70 '06?

MJ

P.S. On second thought, scratch the 311284 idea 'cause I'm sure it won't drop a .311" boolit (it was bought recently).