PDA

View Full Version : Microwave BAC

jsizemore
03-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Does anybody microwave BAC lube before you pour it in your Star? If you do, how long in the microwave? Even when mine was new, I couldn't get a whole stick in. Had to cut off about an inch.

Shiloh
03-28-2009, 10:42 AM
I asked Glenn about heating this up a while back. My concern was separation. IIRC, he says it is not an issue. That was to pour it into a Lyman 450. You may want to give him a quick email.

Shiloh

ddeaton
03-28-2009, 10:52 AM
I nuke the soft stuff, when you get into the harder lubes dont do it. The Better Half wont like the smoke. Dale gave me a good tip, buy a cheap coffee cup heater and sit it next to your lube machine with a small glass measuring cup on it. Lite it up before your lube session begins and by the time you need to refill, the lube will be liquid and ready to pour. Some heaters are better than others and I think he comprised a list. This is not a hurry up fix if you run out right away, but a good way to keep the groove going once started. I cheated and placed the container on my mold hot plate heater a couple times to get going faster. I sometimes dont plan as well as I should.:roll:

GabbyM
03-28-2009, 10:53 AM
They don't fit in a star until you trim a bit off. Glenn addresses this on his web page. That's just a little extra lube you get.

I buy the solid sticks for my Star. Then microwave the trimmed ends to poor into my Lyman.
I'm using Carnauba Red but have melted all sorts of lube in the Micro Oven. You do need some patience and maybe reduce heat towards the finish. It's much like melting butter in a pan. Small window between melting and burning it.

Jon K
03-28-2009, 10:58 AM
I buy solid stick BAC, and cut 3" to insert into the Star, then use the remains as needed.

Jon

mtgrs737
03-28-2009, 11:11 AM
I used to use a microwave to melt bullet lube but it stinks up the oven and some is found on the top and sides so I think that is not a good thing. I now use a small second hand store pan to melt the lube in on a hot plate being careful not to get it too hot. I cut off the top of a 2 litre pop bottle to make a dandy funnel to fill my star then toss it in the trash to keep clean up simple. Any extra lube I leave in the pan and when cooled I seal it in a ziplock bag to keep it clean. Remember to let the lube completely solidify in the Star before you try to re-insert the plunger or you will have a vent hole lube squirt gun! Cost of pan = 50cents!

jsizemore
03-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'm not complaining about too big a stick of lube. Like my girlfriend tells me," don't worry, it's better to have too much then not enough."
When I stuffed part of a stick in cold some air would get trapped and lube grooves don't always fill out. Figured poured lube might solve the problem.

TAWILDCATT
03-28-2009, 12:45 PM
I bought a fryer from a yard sale $3.I have 1lb blocks of lube I bought(50#)and meltin fryer,I have 1" conduit pipe cut to lenth and mounted on board.I pour the lube and set board in freezer,then use piece of broomstick to push them out.for lyman you can put a plastic rod in center.:coffee:[smilie=1:

GabbyM
03-28-2009, 03:53 PM
When I stuffed part of a stick in cold some air would get trapped and lube grooves don't always fill out. Figured poured lube might solve the problem.

If you pump it to low on lube you'll get air in the lube pump. You need to refill before it runs dry. Easier said than done sometimes.