PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 50th Anniversary Flat Top question

MakeMineA10mm
03-28-2009, 12:54 AM
I know a bunch of others here have the Ruger 50th Anniversary Flattop 44 Magnum (with the out-of-line sights... [smilie=1: ), and so I hope you can help me with a question or two.

First, are the frames on these smaller, as in a "Blackhawk" vs. the larger Super-Blackhawk size frame?

I know these come with the original-style XR3 grip frames (but steel rather than aluminum), and just like with Colts', I find these a tad too short. They feel great when not shooting, but half or more of my pinky hangs off as well as some of the meaty part of my hand's heel, and this causes a lot of gun-shifting/unbalanced feeling, especially when shooting 44 Mags...

I finally dug through and found the old article by Skeeter Skelton in Shooting Times when the Ruger New Model Bisley was introduced. He mentions in there that the Bisley grip-frame, hammer and trigger are supposed to be a one-for-one swap for the standard parts, and mentioned that Bill Ruger had talked about putting out an "upgrade kit" to change over a standard Blackhawk to a Bisley. (I don't think this ever transpired, and then Bill died, so it may never happen...)

So, ultimately, put all this info together, and you can probably see where I'm going. Why couldn't I order a Bisley grip frame, hammer, and trigger and make a Bisley-grip version of the 50th Anniversary Flat Top, so the grip fits my hand better?

kingstrider
03-28-2009, 05:25 AM
Good question. I just picked up the .44 as a stablemate to my .357 but haven't shot it yet. I'm on spring break this week though so some range time is definitely in the cards. As you can see in the photo, the frame is a little longer but the grip frame appears to be identical. I would venture these are interchangeable but have no idea if your idea will work. I would be happy if Hogue or one of the other manufacturers came up with a boot grip to fit the new grip frame but haven't been able to find anything. The plastic grips look okay but they tend to dig into my palms with stout 357 loads so I can't imagine what 310 grain hard cast loads are going to feel like in the .44...
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/kingstrider/blackhawks2a.jpg

targetshootr
03-28-2009, 09:09 AM
You could do that. The only issue is the top of the backstrap may not line up perfectly and the stubs on the grip frame that are made to fit into slots in the receiver will have to come off. I turned my 44 mag anniversary model into a Bisley. Here's how it looks with a one-in-50 kind of target.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/targetshootr/DSCN4131.jpg

lathesmith
03-28-2009, 08:14 PM
I converted an "old" Vaquero frame to Bisley. It was a stainless gun, and required quite a bit of hand-fitting, but worked fine. The only snag is, this is really a costly conversion; the parts will probably be half again as much as you paid for the entire gun, unless you get lucky. Good luck...
lathesmith

Throwback
03-29-2009, 09:45 AM
The plastic grips are terrible with top loads. I kept them on my .357 and have rosewood on all the rest. The originals fit me OK I suppose but the SBH and Bisley fit me better. I haven't changed handles on any of mine to see how well they fit but I have heard people have done it.

MakeMineA10mm
03-29-2009, 10:18 AM
targetshooter - That's what I'm talkin' about!!! That looks AWESOME!

I know what you're saying about the humps. Was it a large amount of fitting, or just very mild fitting to get the parts to line up smoothly with a nice tight seam?

Since I don't yet have a Bisley frame, you lost me on the "stubs that are designed to fit in slots in the receiver"... My only Rugers before this Anniversary were Old Model Single Sixes, and I'm not sure I ever took any of thse apart anyway... You didn't happen to take pics while you were doing the conversion did you?

Did you order the parts direct from Ruger?

44man
03-29-2009, 10:19 AM
SHOOT A BISLEY FIRST before going that route. Some love them and others like me, HATE them. It depends on your hand size.
Pachmeyer will have a rubber grip to fit the gun, I found one for my old Vaquero. Use them for shooting, put pretty on for show.

MakeMineA10mm
03-29-2009, 10:20 AM
uploaded the picture of targetshooter's conversion for folks to see on the thread:

MakeMineA10mm
03-29-2009, 10:22 AM
44Man,
Thanks, that is sound advice. Can you describe why you didn't like the Bisley?

Dale53
05-08-2009, 01:47 AM
I wrote Pachmayr regarding the New, New Vaquero and the 50th Anniversary revolvers and Pachmayr does not make grips for these and apparently is not going to:confused::confused::confused:

That would absolutely solve my grip problem with the 50th and also the "yet to be delivered" Lipsey .44 Special.

I am a Pachmayr fan from WAY-Y-Y back for my Smiths, TC's and Rugers.

Dale53

targetshootr
05-08-2009, 06:16 AM
IWas it a large amount of fitting, or just very mild fitting to get the parts to line up smoothly with a nice tight seam?

I used blued parts off another gun so I didn't do any fitting other than grind the stubs off. Whenever you get around to it you'll see what I mean by the stubs. As far as how a Bisley feels, I think the grips make a lot of the difference.

Since I did that gun I've started to bend Bisley triggers a little straighter. As curved as they are, they bite my finger sometimes.