PDA

View Full Version : question, for docone31

goste
03-27-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm going to single out docone31, to answer this for me, since I read a thread from a member who wanted to know about patching a .44, to shoot in a .45ACP...,..docone31 answered his questions.

He mentioned the paper patch bullet was not really suited to a Mag. fed Semi, due to patch damage....Makes sense to me......

But I may have read a part of his answer wrong...Are you supposed to run the patched bullet thru a sizer? Seems to me, that would rip the paper off, and make a whole new set of problems. Is the patched boolit that frail? I Have 4 .303 british rifles I want to try to patch for, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. before I start...Thanks

Caspar..

docone31
03-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Caspar,
I have found the .303 British, the sweetest paper patching rifle I own!!! Be prepared to do a three point bedding on the forestock and barrel though.
I laid awake at night trying to visualize sizing a patched boolitt. I up and did it, and it went real well.
I use just a tad of Auto Wax, or JPW for lube after the patch has dried. I snip off the majority of what tail exists so it has about 1/2turn to compress on sizeing.
Depending on what your groove sizes to, depends on the paper I would use. If it is a tight .312, I would go with two wraps of Meade Acadieme Traceing paper from WalMart. If it is loose, then three wraps. If it is like mine at .313, I use two wraps of computer paper 8 X 11. I cut the strips 1", then cut 1 3/16" at 45* give or take. I have not found it important to narrow it down further.
I use the Lee C312/185R mold. Perfectomondo!!! Size it to .308, then wrap away.
My final diameter of the patched boolitt is .314.
I put the base 1/2way on the patch to be rolled.
I cannot tell you how much better it performs than jacketed loads of identical loadings.
My .303 is my sweetheart at the range.
I use minimum load data for jacketeds of same weight. My favourite powder in it is Surplus 4895. 4064 is similar in performance.
No, the sizer does not rip off the patch. That one suprised me also. It does shine the patch up on the outside.

goste
03-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks a bunch, That helps alot....

Caspar