PDA

View Full Version : lyman manual

jballs918
02-10-2006, 02:43 PM
hey guys just a quick one for you, what is the latest lyman reloading manual out there. is it the 48. or is there on higher. i need know becuase i need to pick one up. if anyone out there in tv land has a extra im more then willing to recycle it for you. just send it it to me. hey a man can try

and thanks guys
jason

carpetman
02-10-2006, 02:51 PM
jballs---I'm pretty sure the 48 is the latest Lyman. Date is Dec 0f 2002 and in introduction it says best yet and will serve you well for years to come. If they had brought out another already,they would lose their credibility.

jballs918
02-10-2006, 02:58 PM
ok thanks former airforce guy. i will start looking for one.

scrapcan
02-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Latest Lyman cast bullet manual is the 3rd edition. Not sure of the printing date.

NVcurmudgeon
02-10-2006, 08:10 PM
"Latest" Lyman Cast bulllet book (Third Edition) was published in 1980! Guess they don't want to rush into an update. That Lyman book still contains a lot of good information, and a few myths. Check out the loading manual listings in Midway's big catalogue, they are listing the publication dates of nearly all the manuals. I doubt if that will warm the cockles of the publishers hearts. Speer is another manual publisher behind the times-1998. Bet if you asked them they would say, "don't use old data, make sure you have the latest." Of course, some of them are very quiet about what "latest" means.

BruceB
02-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Reading this thread, a Great Revelation came upon me.

Back in the 1958 Handbook of Cast Boolits, Lyman had the touching faith to include loads FROM THE CUSTOMERS, without pressure data or anything else beyond a few passing comments (and some WILD misjudgements as to the velocity some of those 'unwashed customer' loads were producing!).

With all the available info being generated and shared by active casters today, much of which uses components and loads which appear NOWHERE in the 'formal" Handbooks, it seems to me that Lyman could easily solicit contributions from recreational handloaders, giving chapter-and-verse for their selected and successful loads and techniques.

Before squawking in alarm about this, give it some thought.

-Many of our loads, if not most, operate at pressures well-below whatever might be "accepted maximum" pressures...i.e.: SAAMI standards. I'm perfectly aware that some cast loads are NOT low-pressure, but these couold be excluded from the "contributors" category.

-Lyman could easily form a working group to assess the contributions, and if that group concludes that "Load X" is well below industry standard pressures, there would be no harm in publishing it. In fact, if a good load happened to be reported by several contributors, Lyman could have such a load pressure-tested, WITHOUT having to do all the research normally required to 'develop' such loads. This means, of course, FAR lower costs involved in putting out a new-edition manual.

There's no doubt that a lot of excellent load data exists which has never seen print in a handbook, and in some ways the casters of today are ahead of the folks who normally set the baselines, via their publications. Instead of THEM guiding US, perhaps we could collaborate with the publishers, and turn out a better (and more-realistic) Handbook.

Waddya think???

versifier
02-11-2006, 12:31 AM
It's a great idea :smile: , but Bruce, I don't know. Corporate America has a really difficult time accepting any intelligent ideas that actually make sense. :???: I think most of the editors in question still use carbon paper, distrust telephones with buttons on them, and have at least a century of catching up to do first. But maybe I'm too much of an optimist.... We would be better off trying it ourselves and publishing the compiled results through Lulu Press or similar venue. (Not that I'm volunteering, I'm going on three book projects right now.)

NVcurmudgeon
02-11-2006, 01:37 AM
I remember, and still have one of those old Lyman books with the customer contributed loads. Entries such as ".30/40 Krag, 600 yd. target load" abounded. IIRC, the last of those books appeared in 1958. The main difference between those days and the present is the extent to which we have become a sue-crazy society. (I don't trust myself to pronounce or spell the word that has the same root as litigation.) No publisher would dare to touch any loads that were not developed in their own lab by seventeen ballisticians.

Four Fingers of Death
02-11-2006, 02:24 AM
I remember, and still have one of those old Lyman books with the customer contributed loads. Entries such as ".30/40 Krag, 600 yd. target load" abounded. IIRC, the last of those books appeared in 1958. The main difference between those days and the present is the extent to which we have become a sue-crazy society. (I don't trust myself to pronounce or spell the word that has the same root as litigation.) No publisher would dare to touch any loads that were not developed in their own lab by seventeen ballisticians.

outsourced to a reloading service that will provide insurance cover!

Four Fingers of Death
02-11-2006, 02:34 AM
I forgot to mention, I must start looking for some of those old manuals. I think I bought my one in the early 90s and the Cast Bullet Book just after they came out.

imashooter2
02-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Reading this thread, a Great Revelation came upon me.

Back in the 1958 Handbook of Cast Boolits, Lyman had the touching faith to include loads FROM THE CUSTOMERS, without pressure data or anything else beyond a few passing comments (and some WILD misjudgements as to the velocity some of those 'unwashed customer' loads were producing!).

-snip-

Waddya think???

I think I just heard Lyman's lawyer's heart explode like a water balloon.

wills
02-11-2006, 11:29 AM
As long as they did all their own pressure testing before publishing a load, cant see any good reason they could not properly attribute the scource of the load data.

Edward429451
02-23-2006, 01:26 PM
I have Lyman's 46th, 47th, & 48th. Dated 82, 92, & 02. Apparently they print every 10 years.

Quantrill
02-23-2006, 02:52 PM
I have a copy of Phil Sharpes', "Complete Guide to Handloading". It is copywrited 1937 with some "newer" addendums. There are many loads in there attributed to other folks than Phil Sharpe. There are some loads in there that seem a tad high to me. I wonder about the pressures that are given about any of those loads. What kind of pressure apparatus testing machines did they have and how valid are the numbers they got from them? I love to read the old loads and what they were used for but I am very cautious about the higher ones. Quantrill

boogerred
02-24-2006, 12:57 AM
load books are sure not like cars-they dont make a new one every year.ive got several books ive bought new in the last 3yrs and they are all 10 yrs old already.ive got some early 70s books i bought off e-bay,i dont use that data but its interesting comparing it to the data in my "new"books.

Slick Pilot
02-24-2006, 09:28 AM
I have Lyman's 46th, 47th, & 48th. Dated 82, 92, & 02. Apparently they print every 10 years.

You mean they've been doing this for 480 years?!!!!! :)

carpetman
02-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Slick Pilot--Yes they been doing it 480 years. In the 1st Edition dated 1526 Starmetal shot a one hole group with a slingshot at 100 yards. He was using FWFBL to cut down on friction.

StarMetal
02-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Ray,

Let's get this one hole slingshot group story right. It wasn't 100 yards it was 300 cubits.

Joe

lovedogs
02-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Seems to me we have the answers to the problem right here... this forum. Who needs lawyers, ballisticians, and politicians? It's like Ol' Gene said, "Boy, if you an' me was runnin' this world it'd be a far better place!" Amen, Gene... Amen!