PDA

View Full Version : C & R License

StarMetal
02-10-2006, 11:58 AM
I was just renewing my C&R license for the first time. Hell the renewal form is more **** then the original application. Had to re-answered a bunch of questions, prove citizenship, and tell when I mailed a copy of the original application to my Chief of Police. Bunch of **** because they know I would have never gotten the first C&R license without mailing that copy to the Chief of Police. And what do they think, I renoucned my citizenship and am a Mexican or something now?

Also it says on the renewal that you MUST MAIL YOUR RECORDS IN IF YOU QUIT. Now from what the book said with the first license for a C&R is if you quit, you don't do anything. Also talking to a gunshop yesterday and he says you don't even have to keep a bound book record anymore, you can keep the records on a pc or disk and that it's legal now to fax licenses.

Somewhere inbetween the lines lies the real truth.

Joe

carpetman
02-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Starmetal---If you would quit wearing that turbine on your head maybe renewal would be easier.

Scrounger
02-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Starmetal---If you would quit wearing that turbine on your head maybe renewal would be easier.

I knew you were interested in engines but wearing a turbine on your head is a bit much. No wonder you're dizzy... [smilie=l:

KCSO
02-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Sometime read the progression of firearms laws in England from 1913 to 1990. We are about 1/2 way through the system and the system is to first make thing so complicated that most folks won't even try. Here in Nebraska to avoid the waiting period you get a firearms card, on it you answer all the same questions on a 4473 and then you go through a backround check. Then when you go buy a gun you ANSWER THE SAME questions and sign the form and then present a copy of the card you got for filling out the SAME form. Kids are not allowed to hunt until the STATE says they are ready, Permit vendors are declining because of paperwork required... We are well over the lip of the slippery slope and on the down hill plunge. And for each hunter or gun owner lost there is one less vote for our side. The sheeple are winning.

Herb in Pa
02-10-2006, 02:21 PM
My C&R expires the end of this month........I sent in the renewal form in December and am still waiting. I called the ATF and they said they would send an extension letter out. They're still processing the damn thing. Check was cashed in December!

Bodydoc447
02-10-2006, 02:42 PM
One caution. I may be wrong and out of date but before you abandon the bound book for a PC file, you must get a letter of permission from the ATF, if I understand the rules. You have some hoop to jump through to do it. Make sure you get an answer before you do it. I have not found the chore of just doing the bound book to be too burdensome yet and if my pen dies my info doesn't go away.
Anyhow, just don't want anyone to get an ATF wedgie if they can avoid it.

Doc

Shepherd2
02-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Does the BATFE mail you the C&R renewal form or do you have to request it? I've got about 15 months before mine expires.

I've been surprised twice today by what people in some states go thru to own firearms. First 357Maximum mentioned going to the sheriffs office to register a handgun and on this thread KSCO related what he has to do in Nebraska. We've got it easy here in Ohio. To buy a firearm you fill out the 4473. The dealer calls in for an instant background check and if it's OK'd you give him the money and he gives you the gun. You pay the agreed upon price plus the state sales tax. There are no other fees (yet).

Bodydoc447
02-10-2006, 03:53 PM
BATFE will mail you a renewal about 3 months in advance if they remember to. BUT they generally do a good job of remembering.

Doc

Herb in Pa
02-10-2006, 04:10 PM
My C&R expires the end of this month........I sent in the renewal form in December and am still waiting. I called the ATF and they said they would send an extension letter out. They're still processing the damn thing. Check was cashed in December!

C&R Update.......received the extension letter in this afternoon's mail. It extends my license for 6 months. Hopefully I'll have it by then, if not they will issue another extension.

StarMetal
02-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Herb,

On the renewal form there is a block that you can X if you want the extension, you must have missed it. I X'ed mine.

They mail the renewal to you, but get this, no return envelope the cheap ********.

Art,

You guess it right, it's a modern turbine for a 350 cubic inch engine that I wear on my head. I guess Carpetman couldn't make it out from the far distance he is away from me. I was demostrating the lightweigh of turbines today.

Joe

StarMetal
02-10-2006, 04:42 PM
KSCO

Talking about Nebraska's laws, I'm getting a handgun coming from Ohio. Well was talking to the owner and we got onto Ohio's CCW permit. He and his wife have them. Now we all know that is to be legal to carry a concealed gun. Well he's telling me that while in your car the gun must be in plain view, that is laying on the seat, or on the console, or top of the dash, but you can't be wearing it, alone concealing it. Now that's the most stupid reasoning I've ever heard....geez, the permit is for concealing. Maybe they should have a plain view permit, then you'd probably have to conceal it.

Joe

Shepherd2
02-10-2006, 08:47 PM
In Ohio there are 3 ways a person with a CCW license can have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle.

1. In a holster on your person that is in plain sight.
2. In a closed, locked glove compartment; or
3. In a case that is in plain sight and that is locked.

These are provisions that the Ohio Highway Patrol wanted put into the law to protect the citizens and law enforcement, so they said. The OHP is dead set against CCW in Ohio. The feeling is that they threw this BS in figuring that no one would accept it and it would kill passage of the law. Support for the the law was strong enough that it passed anyway and now a lot of people are working to correct this point.

I usually carry in a pocket holster so I lock mine in the glove compartment. I now use one of those 2 part key rings that seperate when you push a button. The glove box key is the only key on one of the rings. That way I don't have to stop the truck and take the keys out of the ignition to get at my gun.

wills
02-10-2006, 09:41 PM
I knew you were interested in engines but wearing a turbine on your head is a bit much. No wonder you're dizzy... [smilie=l:

It helps him spin some of his stories

StarMetal
02-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Yeah like the Ohio CCW laws that I was dead on about.

Joe

Scrounger
02-10-2006, 10:05 PM
It helps him spin some of his stories

I'll have you know StarMetal comes by his shooting and story-telling abilities honestly. He can trace his ancestry back to Alvin York, Billy Dixon, and Baron Munchausen...

wills
02-10-2006, 10:23 PM
I'll have you know StarMetal comes by his shooting and story-telling abilities honestly. He can trace his ancestry back to Alvin York, Billy Dixon, and Baron Munchausen...

I got confused. I was thinking about the Carpetman

StarMetal
02-10-2006, 11:07 PM
Art,

Dang I'm a Heinzie 57 with that many nationalities. [smilie=l:

Joe

Buckshot
02-11-2006, 05:53 AM
................I had an 01 FFL for 21 years and had a premises inspection once. Very genial guy. Asked to see my 4473's and bound book. He looked through the bound book and found the only 2 rifles I still had logged and asked me to get them, which I did. He said thanks and left.

In California for an 01 FFL you have to supply the state with:
1) A vaild busines license from your municipality
2) A letter from your CLEO stating they know you're a dealer
3) Post a YEARLY $60 fee for the state to issue you a number showing you're valid
4) Pay a $29 renewel fee (when your FFL is renewed)
5) Have 2 large banners posted about leaving guns out where kids have access and one other which I forget now.

I'm sure there is something else, or possibly 2 other somethings but it's been about 4 years since I've had the license. All the time I had it I lived in the county. They had no special licenses for home businesses and the county sheriff had no issues with FFL's so getting a copy of a letter was no big deal.

When I move to town I assumed there would be a bunch of hoops to jump through re: Business license, zoning, handicapped restrooms or parking. Plus the chief of police was an unknown and I figured they'd visualize a line of low riders all lined up waiting to pick up their machine guns and stuff.

Truth be known, the wife was beginning to get burned out on all these long skinny boxes showing up all the time :-)

..................Buckshot

Herb in Pa
02-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Ah..........Government at work........the day after I received my extension letter.......the new ffl arrives!