PDA

View Full Version : 375 Ruger Hawkeye

missionary5155
03-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Good morning
I was reading the latest Rifle Mag (that I have seen) and there is an article about the 375 Ruger. I have a fondness for 375 bore firearms ( I even have a 375 Supermag) .
Anyone out there reloading this cartrige ?
Mike in Peru

bigted
03-27-2009, 11:19 AM
dosnt sound like you have a ruger yet so id like to poot in my 2 cents worth.

i bought my 375 ruger when they first came out. like you, i like the calibuuur and just wanted a cartridge that would fit in a standard lenght action. this is the real thing!! the pull on the trigger will let you know that big guns will and do take meat on both ends, so i foolishly went rite down and had holes drilled in the muzzel to keep the shoulder in the place where god assembled it in. after the holes were in place, i went out and tryed it and shazam...shot like an old 270 i own. BUT.....after i enjoyed the gun for a few mounths, i took off my ear muffs to see just how loud it was to shoot in a hunting situation. wowwwww, the dang mezzel blast almost took my breath away. couldnt believe the noise so i fingered another round thru and just stood there with my head ringing and my ears bleeding. what a terrible noise. came rite home and removed the lil holes and started rite then reloading my own for this beast.

i started out with cast boolits at around 1900 fps and walla...what a fun shooter and easy on the pocket book.

i also load 270 and 300 gr hornady boolits to around 2100 fps and they are just what the doctor ordered.

if you want a rifle that will give considerable authority to your emotional and confidence in the knowledge that nothing that walks or crawls on this continent or any other for that matter, will lay rite down and cry at the mere thought of you in the woods with this power-packed little gun, then do go rite down and buy a package that will make you a legend [ in your own mind anyway] .

have fun and let the rifle gods talk you into getting this fun and serious rifle.

missionary5155
03-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Howdy Bigted and WELCOME !
Thanks for the reply... There is something about 375īs that just seem to sing the right note. That will probably be one of those items I latch onto this time up there.
Good to see someone casting for one to... We have a saying down here.. "Never be the first and never be the last".
Mike in Peru

NHlever
03-27-2009, 06:40 PM
I noticed that the new Lyman manual had some cast boolit loads for the . 375 Ruger.

Lead melter
03-27-2009, 07:29 PM
missionary,

Keep changing your avatar from time to time. I'm learning new things. Thanks.

softpoint
03-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Dang, I have a full box of .375 gaschecks, a box of Hunter Supply cast boolits made for GC's and a .377 sizer I bought for another project that didn't happen. I was going to try those boolits before I bought a mold.
Now I am thinking I might have to buy a new Ruger rifle to fit those supplies! This forum does things to a person's mental capacity to resist!:-D:mrgreen:

missionary5155
03-28-2009, 08:03 AM
missionary,

Keep changing your avatar from time to time. I'm learning new things. Thanks.

Good morning What-cha want next critter or scenery or vilage or....
Mike in Peru

Lead melter
03-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Critters, varmints, what have you.

missionary5155
03-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Critters, varmints, what have you.
Done
Mike in Peru

Cheshire Dave
03-29-2009, 05:57 PM
If the .375 isn't big enough for you guys I just saw Guns and Ammo do a spot on their TV show on the new Ruger .416 based on the same case. 2400fps with a 400 gr. boolit. I allways thought a .416 Taylor would be cool this one would do anything the Taylor does and then some.

missionary5155
03-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Goodevening Yep that should be about enough to thump a whitetail... I bet even a 25 foot croc would roll over from that muzzle blast.
Mike in Peru

Four Fingers of Death
03-30-2009, 10:14 AM
dosnt sound like you have a ruger yet so id like to poot in my 2 cents worth.

i bought my 375 ruger when they first came out. like you, i like the calibuuur and just wanted a cartridge that would fit in a standard lenght action. this is the real thing!! the pull on the trigger will let you know that big guns will and do take meat on both ends, so i foolishly went rite down and had holes drilled in the muzzel to keep the shoulder in the place where god assembled it in. after the holes were in place, i went out and tryed it and shazam...shot like an old 270 i own. BUT.....after i enjoyed the gun for a few mounths, i took off my ear muffs to see just how loud it was to shoot in a hunting situation. wowwwww, the dang mezzel blast almost took my breath away. couldnt believe the noise so i fingered another round thru and just stood there with my head ringing and my ears bleeding. what a terrible noise. came rite home and removed the lil holes and started rite then reloading my own for this beast.

i started out with cast boolits at around 1900 fps and walla...what a fun shooter and easy on the pocket book.

i also load 270 and 300 gr hornady boolits to around 2100 fps and they are just what the doctor ordered.

if you want a rifle that will give considerable authority to your emotional and confidence in the knowledge that nothing that walks or crawls on this continent or any other for that matter, will lay rite down and cry at the mere thought of you in the woods with this power-packed little gun, then do go rite down and buy a package that will make you a legend [ in your own mind anyway] .

have fun and let the rifle gods talk you into getting this fun and serious rifle.

I don't know if I invented this saying or got it from someone else, but I have been using it forever:

"The laws of Physics will always be obeyed!"

I really fancy one of those Hawkeyes.

Four Fingers.

bigted
04-03-2009, 12:53 PM
If the .375 isn't big enough for you guys I just saw Guns and Ammo do a spot on their TV show on the new Ruger .416 based on the same case. 2400fps with a 400 gr. boolit. I allways thought a .416 Taylor would be cool this one would do anything the Taylor does and then some.

dang it...i always thought that 416 would be the next step for this super platform and also thought about wildcatting one and shazam...looks like it is here. this should be a super fit in this short and sturdy rifle and a killer for anything that moves. looks like i got some pondering ahead. this should be just the ticket for the angry grizz up here.

Four Fingers of Death
04-04-2009, 09:42 AM
I got me a NO1 in 416 Rigby, man! what a powerhouse, I love it. I really fancy a 375 Ruger, but have a pair of 300WMs, a 338WM, 375Big Bore, 444, and a couple of 45/70s, I really have trouble justifying another big bore hunting rifle.

I have a sweet old Sporterised M17 with a shot barrel. I have always wanted to do a H&H on a 17, sooooooooooooo, maybe this will be the way to go.

it would probably be easier to just buy a Hawkeye, good luck with yours, I'm sure you will enjoy it for a long time.