PDA

View Full Version : Red Dot loads needed-For Everything!

Bug
02-10-2006, 11:38 AM
I just scored on an OLD caddy (12#) of Hercules Red Dot. I don't know the vintage, but it doesn't seem to have any red dots in it! The little colored flakes may have faded/degraded to the point that they are not the current bright color, I just don't know. It still had the factory seal on the can, so I'm reasonably sure it IS Red Dot. Did this powder originally have the red flakes in it? Or, were they added later on? It smells & looks just fine. I just couldn't pass it up - for $20.00!
Anyway, I forsee utilizing this powder in a LOT of cartridges, with cast bullets, of course. Who knows, I might even try it with some FLGC, too! I probably have data for all the regular pistol-type cartridges covered, but what I need is data that you have tried for rifle-type cartridges - even tho' they will likely be fired in a pistol platform (Contender or XP-100). I am aware of Ed Harris' writing about using Red Dot, and that'll likely cover the 30 calibers just fine.
The current crop that I can use help with are:
1. 223 Rem
2. 6.5mm TCU
3. 7mm TCU
4. 243 Win
5. 260 Rem
6. 7mm-08 Rem
7. 35 Rem
8. 357 Herrett
That's all I can think of right now. May think of more later.
Any information/guidance will be appreciated. Bullet weight/type, Alloy, speed, lube, etc., whether for plinking (1000-1500 fps) or real hunting loads (1500 fps & up) will certainly be tried.
Come on, help me burn up this powder!

sundog
02-10-2006, 11:52 AM
Bug, FWIW, I just finished a pound cardboard can of old Herc RD (metal ends were rusted on the outside). It had been open for years and only part used. It was old enough that the red dots had faded dark enough to be not noticeable. It still worked okay. sundog

felix
02-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Bug, you got the 1974's retail price of that powder! Good show. That powder has enough nitroglycerin (20 percent?) to protect it for many more years to come, assuming ambient heat had been kept reasonable. If not, the powder will be slower in burn rate than the books would indicate. Therefore, no harm whatsoever is expected when using normal reloading practices. ... felix

carpetman
02-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Bug---The red dots have faded in the Red Dot powder. Just paint them. I'm sure Wills can provide a link as to the type paint to use for this along with the techniques of how to repaint the red dots.

Bug
02-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Now there's an Idea!... Not a very good one, but an idea, just the same! ;D ;D ;D

Jeffreytooker
02-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Well if the dots have faded to Blue you can load it as Blue Dot.

Jeffrey

redneckdan
02-11-2006, 01:03 AM
10.0grs Red dot with 160 cast rd nose, 8x57 mauser. The bullet is the lee model made for use with gas checks, I don't even bother with the checks.

scrapcan
02-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Don't forget the scatter gun
If you want some casting fun, or all most casting, make your own shot!

winAA case, 18.5 grains RD, 1 1/8 ounce HM 7 1/2 shot, Clay buster AA12 replacement wad, win209 priner.

Federal Multipurpose hull (this is what I use, everyone throws them out but ehy reload good), win 209 primer, 1 1/8 of HM 7 1/2 shot, Claybuster 12S3 replacement wad. will give 1200fps for a good trap load.

And of course there are teh cartridges that we are really here for. Try several of the old milsurp with the Harris load.

45 acp, 4.8 gr RD, Lyman 452460, sized to fit nice shooter in my 1911 clones. if bullet seated to have .012 to 0.015 inch of shoulder exposed with a suitable crimp it will feed in a military stock ramped barrel

45 acp, lyman 452374 Round Nose, Seated as suggested in lyman 3rd esdition CB manual. 4.8-5.0 grains RD. Is also a fun shooter and if bullet fit is rigth no leading in my experience.

I have useditin other cartridges also, but will let others share their experiences.

Black Wolf
01-31-2008, 09:40 AM
Is the Alliant Red Dot the same as the Hercules Red Dot that Ed Harris mentions in his article for the "The Load", 13 grains? I know Alliant bought Hercules but want to make sure its the same powder.

I loaded up 5 rounds each of the below but haven't shot it in my Enfield 2A yet - just taking precautionary measures by asking:

10 gr Alliant Red Dot, 155gr Lee Cast WW
11 gr Alliant "ditto"
12 gr Alliant "ditto"
13 gr Alliant "ditto"

...to try and get a decent plinker round.

racepres
01-31-2008, 10:44 AM
:mrgreen: That is "envy"!!! Are ya close to me?... No!! I see Not!! I would help ya get rid of some Red Dot!!!! Pick me... I never get to go!!! MV
I think that the Lyman book has a Red Dot load for just about every page!!!
They musta used a boatload of it!!!:Fire:

Ricochet
01-31-2008, 10:15 PM
The dots have faded to gray. Dye them with Miss Clairol.

454PB
01-31-2008, 10:50 PM
I have the opposite problem. I posted a while back that I bought an opened container of Unique at a garage sale, and it has red dots in it. I don't have time to pick them out for you....sorry.