PDA

View Full Version : I give!

The Double D
03-25-2009, 09:38 PM
I know someone recently wrote a post describing what kind and type of lead was contained in various scrap sources we normally encounter.

I used search and eyeballed page by page with nw luck.

Can anyone point to that post...

Of course, I am over 60 and have been casting for 40 of those year...so I could be hallucinating, er ah visionary.

Bob Krack
03-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Douglas,
I don't remember seeing it here but it is on the cast section at www.lasc.us

Bob

The Double D
03-26-2009, 12:20 AM
Thanks, Bob. That isn't what I had in mind, but you reminded me I had it saved in my favorites. and it serves the purposes. By the way is Camps Surplus still around Redding?

What I saw or imagined I saw in the post was what common scrap lead materials were made up of.

The scrap yard gave me 40-50 lbs lead the other day they didn't want to mess with. 3 foot long 1 1/2 lead pipe with a iron fitting on the end. A hoop of lead that looks like it was a solder joint for 12 inch black iron pipe. 30 feet of 1/4 inch solid lead wire. 10 foot long piece of lead roof flashing. Two 1-pound ingots which are pretty hard but go clunk when dropped. A 10 pound ingot that goes clink when dropped and will lightly thumb nail mark that I suspect is linotype. And a 2 lb US Divers- Aqua Lung divers weight that is so hard that that it won't dent when dropped.

The scrap yard has been good to me. The other day we stopped by to drop some off cardboard newspaper and they told me tot go check the lead barrel out back. Pulled out a lead sheet and three 12 inch pipe seals--54 lbs...out the door for $5.

I'll have to get this stuff ingotized and use it either for alloy or perhaps trade for zinc our something equally useful.

Bob Krack
03-26-2009, 11:49 AM
I believe that Camps closed down (or at least downsized and changed format somewhat) about 5 or so years ago.
Joe Brennen's book - available one chapter at a time at lasc.us - is very informative. One chapter gives specific gravity testing procedures and results. Well worth the time to read the whole book.

Bob