PDA

View Full Version : Score WWs

Papa Foxtrot
03-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Gettin' some new shoes on the lovely wife's SUV today. While writing the check, I ask "Hey, you have any old wheel weights that I can take off your hands." The salesguy responds, "Yep - I think there's a few back there." Short story, they poor 'bout half a bucket of wheel weights into my bucket and even set the bucket in the back of the SUV for me! How's that for service?

'bout 40 lbs of lead "on the house"! Life is good...

My car is almost ready for a pair of fronts. I think I'll go back by in 'bout a month with a dozen doughnuts... :mrgreen:

troy_mclure
03-25-2009, 10:21 PM
ive hit every wheel shop within 20 miles, all are spoken for by a local battery manufacturer.

Papa Foxtrot
03-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Most of 'em, including the shop I was at today have a corporate contract with a recycler. I had asked before when I was passing by and got the stock answer. It made a big difference when I was a paying customer.

Frank
03-25-2009, 11:28 PM
Here's what you do. When they say, "We send it to XYZ dipshi# company", ask them, "Do they pay you?". When he says "Yes", say "I'll pay you", then it's done. They let you in. Also, forget the bozo at the desk. Go right to the mechanic. If bozo looks at you going to the mechanic, then go deal with him. Otherwise, deal with the mechanic. Go see him, talk to him, pay him if needed and you're done.

JIMinPHX
03-26-2009, 03:32 AM
Here's what you do. When they say, "We send it to XYZ dipshi# company", ask them, "Do they pay you?". When he says "Yes", say "I'll pay you", then it's done.

The last time I tried that, the guy wanted $50 for half a bucket. I'm not buying tires there anymore.

Frank
03-26-2009, 12:00 PM
The last time I tried that, the guy wanted $50 for half a bucket. I'm not buying tires there anymore.

Begging really teaches you, who the nice people really are. You may go head over heals beating your friends over the head day after day about how 'product A' is better than 'product B', but then you try to sell something to your "favorite company" and they don't even let you into the door. [smilie=p:Welcome to the real world!:redneck:

Old Ironsights
03-26-2009, 12:12 PM
I've learned to check the daily "buy" Spot at the locak recyclers before I go out. There is one place who will sell for spot but you have to know it... AND bring a scale.

That's OK... I do both. ;) The other place lets me go for a flat $20/bucket. No place free any more.

troy_mclure
03-26-2009, 02:35 PM
about how much usable lead is in a 5gal bucket of ww?

waksupi
03-26-2009, 02:44 PM
about how much usable lead is in a 5gal bucket of ww?

About 80%.

Matt_G
03-26-2009, 03:16 PM
waksupi is right, 80% is about average.
I have gotten lucky with my last few buckets.
I averaged right at 120 lbs of ingots out of those. (140 lbs per bucket)
That's 85%.
When I'm lucky enough to get truck weights, I recall getting about 90% usable, maybe a bit more.
Love them truck weights. [smilie=w:

Hunter 24095
03-26-2009, 04:05 PM
I have a friend who's brother in law owns a recycling business I bought a 110lbs of WW's for $30.00. Took a boolit I casted an gave it to him to show what you could do with WW he sent me a bucket of WW's and wanted to know if I casted 9mm's. Life is good:drinks: