PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone lapped a front stuffer?

docone31
03-25-2009, 06:44 PM
I got these R.E.A.L. castings. I got to wondering if it would be worth it to grit one of em up and run it up and down the bore a few times.
I haven't fired this one yet so I do not know down range abilities.
On that note, I am considering a Creedmore sight for the rear.
Any thoughts?

JeffinNZ
03-25-2009, 07:10 PM
You haven't stated your motivation for doing so.

nicholst55
03-25-2009, 07:11 PM
I've considered lapping one or two ML barrels. Looking at the shallow rifling in a Lyman GPR barrel, I wondered how much rifling, if any, would be left when I finished. I decided against it, and it did smooth out considerably after another 100 rounds or so.

longbow
03-25-2009, 07:19 PM
I used to have a replica Remington Zouave that had a rough bore and was horrible for fouling.

Didn't matter how much or what lube I used it fouled badly after just a few shots. In the end I traded it to a friend for a gun he didn't want (grass is greener I guess). Anyway, I was happy and he solved the fouling problem by lapping so he was happy.

The method he used was to punch out heavy felt washers and attach them to a rod then coated the felt in fine valve grinding compound and lapped away. I woud be more inclined to use a lead plug poured into to bore or swaged to groove diameter but it worked and the gun shot pretty well after with no more bad fouling problem.

So if you are asking if a rough bore can be improved then yes. I am not sure a R.E.A.L. bullet would be the best lapping slug though unless there is at least one band that is a little over groove diameter. They might work the lands more than the grooves since most of the surface is under groove diameter.

Longbow

jdgabbard
03-25-2009, 08:05 PM
One question for you. Why?

docone31
03-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Kinda in case I need to.
Back in the old days, I was happy to just get one to fire more than once. This is different. I want accuracy, reliability, and some great targeting.
Mostly, I just love tweaking firearms. My primary love is single shots. I plan on putting a mid-range Creedmore sight on. The years have gone by.

Tokarev
03-25-2009, 08:35 PM
REAL bullets are supposed to have one band which is slightly over bore diameter. It's the front most band.

beemer
03-25-2009, 09:02 PM
I have lapped several, mostly to get out rough places that held fouling. It's best to remove the breach plug and lapp from the back with a stiff rod that swivels. A proper lapp needs to be several inches long.

beemer

JeffinNZ
03-25-2009, 10:24 PM
There's no real reason to lap it other than to take out 'high' spots or smooth up. I wouldn't do it for sport/curiosity.

docone31
03-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks guys.
That really helps. I was not looking forward to it anyway. It was mostly based on the concept of "freshing". However, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
More mental gymnastics to pass the time.
The original plains rifles were .52 caliber. They were "freshed" out to .54. Radically extended the life of the rifle, not to mention economics.
I should fire it before I do anything.

looseprojectile
03-26-2009, 12:35 PM
NOTHING has ever given me more pleasure and sense of accomplishment than hand lapping a rough or ruined bore.
I am able to lap a bad bore in an hour or two and have never, "NOT" improved such a gun barrel.
I have taken unusable guns and restored them to good shooters.
It is very time consuming to try to make a bore or groove dimension larger by hand lapping. I do not have the precision equipment to measure the increase in dimensions this produces. And I usually start with 180 grit and most times end with only the one lap. There was a time when the best barrels were hand lapped. Why do you suppose this was done?
The larger the bore the easier it is to work with. .22s and .17s are not the ones to acquire your initial experience with.
In my humble opinion, every gun tinkerer should have hand lapped a gun barrel, at least once. And, yes, I do most all of them from the muzzle end. Try to make the lap about five or six inches long as one poster has suggested and don't pull it all the way out till done. I use wheel weight or harder metal for the lap.
Life is good

Maven
03-26-2009, 01:06 PM
docone, After reading your post last PM, I was going to ask why as well, but I see Jeff & Jdg beat me to it. Before doing anything, I'd try those REAL's with various charges and granulations of BP, Pyrodex, etc. You may even find they shoot well as cast. However, if they do not, all is not lost, as you can try paper patching them (improved the accuracy of mine, but round- and Maxi-Balls outshone them by far) or even trying T/C or Lyman Maxi-Balls. If you have a .50cal. rifle, I can "home brew" you some of each.

docone31
03-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Maven, thanks.
I think I am going to have fun developing a load for the Hawken!
Down the road, I might just take you up on that.

AZ-Stew
03-26-2009, 03:11 PM
I think it would be far easier to fire lap your ML using a properly fitted patched round ball with the lapping compound embedded in the patch. Quick, easy and an excellent fit with the bore.

Regards,

Stew