PDA

View Full Version : Nyanyanya haha!

jonk
03-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Ah, one of the things I love most about casting... as my buddies run out of jacketed and either can't replace them right now, or pay exhorbitant prices, I happily warm up the lead furnace.... just finished a batch of 314299s. :drinks:

jdgabbard
03-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Isn't it grand!

Gunslinger
03-25-2009, 06:41 PM
YES, that is the beauty of it.

I have a army ammo case half filled with boolits, when needed I just take a few good hand fulls size 'em and load 'em, all the while he guys at the club stand on a row and whine about the prices goin up and not haveing money to spend on boolits due to the financial crisis...

Whining school girls all single one of them...

Stop crying and starts casting :castmine:

docone31
03-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Yeah, a lot of folks I know are in the same boat.
They have listened to me on the merits of what we do. They are now takeing the plunge.
I have never seen a more disgruntled group in my life! What did they expect?
Melt some lead, put it in a mold, hit the bullseye every time! Man, are they POD! One of my buddies forgot lead is hot in liquid state. I had to show one how to get the lead out. I had to explain many times about sizeing, twist, weight, alloy. I send them to here and not one has shown up. They sure can complain though.
I have a feeling things are really going to change.
I wonder when they will realize it takes effort, and the effort is worth the energy.

quasi
03-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Independence, Self suficiency, is what I like most about casting.

jdgabbard
03-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Never keep less then a grand of each caliber ready to load on the shelf. If I shoot it down a bit, I cast up some more to replace them. That way your cycling your stock, and still getting to shoot as much as you want for a fair price.

codgerville@zianet.com
03-25-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm in the same place as docone31. They all want to be able to shoot but don't want to take the time and effort to learn casting, etc. They would really like me to do it for them. One of 'em asked if cast bullets really need to be lubed. I told him to try some with no lube, haven't heard how that turned out.

docone31
03-25-2009, 07:14 PM
I really want to help out, but, they have to do some of it also.
Now I just tell them what I do. If they want to learn more, they can show me they did something on their own.

Down South
03-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Independence, Self suficiency, is what I like most about casting.Ditto

Matt_G
03-25-2009, 09:49 PM
I wonder when they will realize it takes effort, and the effort is worth the energy.

Probably just as well docone31.
You really didn't want any MORE competition for the local wheel weight supply...did you? :lol:

docone31
03-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Wheel weights are a done deal here.
I fix jewelery for a bunch of roofers though.
They come to the shop with a bunch of boots from the jobs.
Pure lead.
I mix that with my mystery metal and get some fine castings.

mooman76
03-25-2009, 11:38 PM
Are you crazy? You can't shoot lead in a rifle! It will lead the bore![smilie=l:

runfiverun
03-26-2009, 01:37 AM
i have recently started to just paint the flgc's grey.
it's way easier then doing all the work,sept the paint is really dang expensive, and i have to sit there all night waiting for it to dry. and the mixing to get the shade just right,jeesh
but when i have the chrono out and it shows 3,000 in the rifle, it really gets some attention.
:kidding:

303Guy
03-26-2009, 02:19 AM
Yeah, but I live in a fishing country and these fishermen get all the bloody wheel weights from the tire shops!:(

Gunslinger
03-26-2009, 06:36 AM
Yeah, but I live in a fishing country and these fishermen get all the bloody wheel weights from the tire shops!:(

Ahhh those greedy sons of b****** :twisted:

Why can't they just use... I dunno, SOMETHING else than the wheel weights!? I mean, as you are a caster all WWs within 20 miles of you are part of your birth right as a caster. It's okay to share them with other casters but certainly not fishermen.

Chunky Monkey
03-26-2009, 06:59 AM
I know a few who moan about the price of FMJ and loaded ammo being impossible to find. These are the same people look at me like I have six heads cause I shoot lead boolits out of my guns. I'm like crazy uncle Ed, nobody listens to me. But I'm the one shooting 44's, 45's, and 223's, when they are all shooting 22LR's cause that all they can find or afford. Like talking to a stone wall.

Just yesterday my former BIL was complaining that he cannot get any 45 acp ammo anywhere not even walmart. I just smiled thinking that I have several 30 cal ammo cans full of 45 ammo loaded with nice silver boolits.

Same with 223, people are trying to find FMJ's to reload, not me I'll just shoot my cast and checked boolits.

Our (some of us) only concern is where that next bucket of WW is coming from.

qajaq59
03-26-2009, 07:15 AM
Let us not get too cocky.... We've got every %^$%%## do-gooder in the country tryng to convince people that lead is going to instantly poison us and should be outlawed.

And considering I can't get any wheel weights at all around here, because the garages have to return the used ones to the jobber, I think it may be working.

Matt_G
03-26-2009, 07:40 AM
Let us not get too cocky.... We've got every %^$%%## do-gooder in the country tryng to convince people that lead is going to instantly poison us and should be outlawed.

And considering I can't get any wheel weights at all around here, because the garages have to return the used ones to the jobber, I think it may be working.

Amen.
Luckily, I can still get wheel weights. For how long is anyone's guess. I'm grabbing everything I can get my hands on, while I can get it.
I sure would like to have about 8 to 10 tons of the stuff. :mrgreen:

bbs70
03-26-2009, 08:21 AM

A lot of people in my area have tire shops save the ww for them to make sinkers and decoy weights.
What a waste of wheel weights.:roll:

I can find soft lead just a tad easier than wheel weights.
So I let everyone know I will trade soft lead ingots for wheel weights.
That way they don't have to mess with the clips and other junk, all they have to do is melt the ingots and save themselves a bunch of time.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but it never hurts to ask.

cajun shooter
03-26-2009, 08:54 AM
WW's are almost impossible in my area. I had a small tire shop that I was getting 50 lbs from every 7-10 days which was keeping my CAS supply going. Went there the other day for weights and the owner had sold out. The new owner said I'm not selling you no used weights, I just bend them and reuse them myself. I walked away shaking my head.

jonk
03-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Cajun shooter, I sure won't get my tires balanced there then...

I have cast many a sinker myself (poured them too if you wanna get technical) especially as a young teenager. Great fun. Made a 2 lifetime supply, like 3 coffee cans full.

Yep you guessed it. Most of that has been melted back down to use for bullets- though I do still keep about half of one can for fishing. I just don't lose sinkers like I used to since I more or less quit shore fishing. Fewer snags off the side of a boat.