PDA

View Full Version : Putting the Cart Before the Horse

Rick N Bama
02-09-2006, 08:00 PM
In another post, Nighthunter was ragging me about buying gas checks for my 41 Mag when I didn't even have a mold requiring them.. Well the mold is now on it's way and yes Nighthunter, we do have TV but the time spent worrying about Gas Checks & Molds is time better spent than watching anything that's on the tube these days.

Hey, who else has bought dies & brass before buying the gun? I've been picking up 9MM brass for several years and just got myself one last week. I'm also saving 30-30, 44mag & 45LC brass even though I don't have a gun in those calibers. FWIW, a 44mag is next on my list. May get the dies next week:) I'll get the gun when the CFA approves my doing so [smilie=l:

Rick

kenjuudo
02-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Rick,
Run down to the gun shop and get that 44mag, pick up a set of ivory or pearl grips, tape it to a box of chocolates and ya have Valentine's day covered. Hell, you've gotten "the look" for alot less haven't ya?

jim

Roudy
02-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Well Rick,
I think you are in good company! I ordered an H&R Target Model Rifle on December 17, 2005 and they said it would take some time to get it. It is supposed to arrive in Mid-February, 2006....still don't have it.

But I do have the 38-55 loading dies, 100 Winchester cases, a Lee bullet mold and about 200 bullets cast so far. (don't want to size the bullets before slugging the bore)

When the rifle arrives I can say, "I just love it when a plan comes together" :castmine:

David R
02-09-2006, 10:44 PM
Sheesh, I am not the only one. I saw a Seaco 4 cavity 38 cal wadcutter mold on Ebay and bought it for fifty bucks with handles. I don't have a 38 yet...........

David

NVcurmudgeon
02-09-2006, 11:57 PM
Rick, my entry into the .44 Magnum business began with a gun show RBCS 240GC mould. I then had to order a Marlin 1894 Cowboy. That led naturally to a conversion for my Dillon Square Deal machine, RCBS die set (sometimes I want to load only a few rounds,) an RCBS 250K mould, a S&W 629. etc...................... The moral of this story is to never pass up a chance to buy a mould or die set you don't yet need. It can lead you to some very interesting places.

Rick N Bama
02-10-2006, 05:21 AM
Well I think that if I want to bring a new gun home right now, it had better have a pair of Diamond Earrings taped to it!

I'm certainly glad to hear that I'm not the only one that puts the cart before the horse when it comes to shooting. Makes good sense to me:)

Rick

Four Fingers of Death
02-10-2006, 06:11 AM
I have bought several moulds for which I didn't have rifles or pistols for as well as gas checks and dies.

wills
02-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Thought it was normal for present company to buy a mold on impulse, then hunt for a gun to fit it.

gutshot_again
02-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Buy a mould before the gun? I ran across a "good deal" on 338 gas checks so I bought a lifetime supply. Then of course I had to get the mould, which turned into 3 more moulds. Still didn't have the rifle, so got a 338 Mag. The 338 mag didn't shoot as well as I thought it shoud with cast bullets so I rebarreled an FN action to 338-06. Of course I had to get the dies also - but at least I waited until after I had the rifles. Probaly the most expensive gas checks I ever bought.

carpetman
02-10-2006, 12:28 PM
First time Starmetal saw a suppository mold,he thought it was a bullet mold . He fashioned up a gun for it and it wouldn't shoot worth a darn. He could only get 1 1/4" groups at 200 hundred yards. He worked on the crown and put a rectum shaped crown on it and it now shoots one holers. Was a real pain in the A$$.

Goatlips
02-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Did he lube with Preparation H, to shrink his groups?

Goatlips

kciH
02-11-2006, 04:52 AM
This is how it is meant to work. What good is it to spend all your money on a firearm and have no moulds, dies, brass, bullets, etc to shoot/load for it? This is the way it is meant to be for the truly enlightened. You already know what cartridge you want and are prepared, all you have to do after that is find the right piece.

montana_charlie
02-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Did he lube with Preparation H, to shrink his groups?

Goatlips
This looks like y'all are getting back into that discussion about fish oil in bullet lube...
CM

Ross
02-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Putting the Cart Before the Horse
Does this not refer to the preferance of the sentiment "carpe diem" over "cogito ergo sum"?
I've always been taught that was getting Descartes before Horace.
Argh! Wrong forum.

The Nyack Kid
02-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Putting the Cart Before the Horse ?
yep i do it all the time , the veiw that way is much better than the other way.

grumble
02-11-2006, 06:55 PM
I had to think about that a bit, Ross. But, he who laughs last might actually get the joke! <GGG>

grumble
02-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Putting the Cart Before the Horse
Does this not refer to the preferance of the sentiment "carpe diem" over "cogito ergo sum"?
I've always been taught that was getting Descartes before Horace.
Argh! Wrong forum.

Ross, if you were speaking to misanthropic Lilliputians, you could make that, "Descartes Defoe Horace?"