PDA

View Full Version : CB sizing

Nora
03-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Realistically how much can a CB diameter be reduced in a sizing die? Is .005" asking to much? Just wondering without trying if I can use an existing mold or if I'll need a different one.

Thanks in advance

jdgabbard
03-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Well, I believe it depends a lot on the boolit. For example, a TL would probably be able to be reduced more in one pull of the lever then a non-TL. I've got a mold for 9mm that drops at .360-.362 (because I leemented). I usually load this up in the .38spl for popcorn loads, but if I want some 9mm loads I just go ahead and size to .356 and it isn't difficult at all. This is on a set of Lee Push through sizers.

Now 0.010 over...yeah that might be a two step sizing project. But as long as it seems to give you good results why let someone else say that its too much or too little? Just don't try to size a .309 boolit down to something for your .270... get the idea?

sqlbullet
03-25-2009, 05:22 PM
I assume rule of thumb that I can go .005 on a pass. However, this gets pretty hard to do with hard alloys. With softer alloys I would assume more is possible.

Shuz
03-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Lube groove distortion or even elimination needs to be considered as well. That factor is very "boolit design" dependent on how much you can size.

blackthorn
03-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Lube does not compress, so if you lube the bullet prior to sizing you run less risk of damage to the lube groves. The more radical the sizing required--the more critical it is to lube first. A sothers have noted 0.005 is easily doable. Welcome to the forum!!!

StrawHat
03-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Lube groove distortion or even elimination needs to be considered as well. That factor is very "boolit design" dependent on how much you can size.

Filling the grooves with lube helps to an extent but it is difficult to size to less than the diameter of the grooves.

What bullet are you trying tosize, that would help get an answer besides "definately maybe"

Leftoverdj
03-26-2009, 01:26 PM
.005 is on the edge of doable in one pass. Groove distortion becomes a factor. An intermediate die will give better results. .314-.311-.309 is quite feasible with bullets with conventional lube grooves. Microgrooves are shallow and don't take that much resizing well.