PDA

View Full Version : Keyhole

bompa
03-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Must say that I have been a reloader for more years than I wish to admit..
Had some 125gr lead bullets do the keyhole thing on me..These 9mm rounds were loaded a while ago for use in a 1911 and a CZ.. Wanted to use them in a M&P recently and found that the COL was too long,the bullet engaged the rifling before the slide was in battery.. So I just seated,pushed down,the bullets deeper in case to fit the smith chamber and recrimped..Thought all was well.. well it was almost but I would get a keyhole every now and then at about 15-20 feet..
The quertion is did I do enough damage to the cast bulet when I deep seated them ?? or is it just the smith barrel ??
Hope to try that bunch of ammo in the CZ this week to see what happens there..
Does anybody have any thoughts on this problem??
Did this to about 300 rounds...

MT Chambers
03-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Everytime this happens to me it is because the bullet dia. is too small, and this particular bullet may be prone to uneven flight if fit is not perfect.

oneokie
03-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Have you slugged the barrel on the M&P?

dromia
03-25-2009, 05:04 PM
As has been said check your boolit fit first.

Nora
03-25-2009, 07:37 PM
If it's not the boolit, it might not be liking the powder. I've got a Taurus 66 6" that will key hole a Lee 358-148-WC about half the time at 25yrs with Bullseye. Change to Unique at the same velocity and it prints just fine.

bompa
03-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Well tonight I got to shoot some of that ammo in a CZ that shoots anything great..
The stuff was tumbling when shot from that gun also..So I guess that to just push a boolit deeper in the case after the normal reloading process does not make for great ammo..Leaves me with around two hundred rounds of blasting ammo..
Maybe should give it to the son in law and don't say it tumbles every now and then..After all it only happens maybe one in five or six rounds..Does go bang every time...

runfiverun
03-26-2009, 11:20 PM
you squeezed down your boolits when you re seated them.

bompa
03-26-2009, 11:52 PM
That is my thoughts also..Just took a while to admit it to myself..
Guess one is never too old to learn something or perhaps relearn something that you might have forgotten..
Getting old is no fun at all..