PDA

View Full Version : Cross your fingers for me

sheepdog
03-25-2009, 12:40 PM
So I'm new to casting, even newer to reloading. Been looking for sources of lead and such so I got the family keeping an eye out. So my wife calls her aunt in Louisiana, not a far drive, to see if she can save the lead "pigs" in the xray department. Sure she can she says. Oh and by the way her next door neighbor used to cast but died last year. Says used to have a large setup, might be able to get the widow to donate it to someone who can use it along with the "drums of scrap" in the back yard. :mrgreen: Pray for me brothers, that a wise mans fortunes might not go to waste after all. This young buck could sure use it.

ghh3rd
03-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Jealously praying for you...

jdgabbard
03-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Dangit, how come I'm never the one to find the widowed woman who's husband had a million tons of alloy in the backyard....

UweJ
03-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Our prayers are with you,:))
Uwe

sheepdog
03-25-2009, 01:22 PM
If it works out to be some large cache I'll spread the love.. in the form of ingots and mold lends.

jdgabbard
03-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Well, sheepdog, just remember when you start spreading the love to not forget us Okie boys. I'm right on the border just up Central from you ;) You know, that town with all the Red Lights on the highway ;)

Storydude
03-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Wishing ya good luck..sometimes you just stumble into it...:)

sheepdog
03-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Now sure what all he had but whatever it is the widow says I'm more then welcome to for free. :drinks: Crossing my fingers theres stacks and stacks of 6 cavity molds and boxes of dies just waiting for me. Anyway won't know til I got down in June.

jdgabbard
03-27-2009, 03:22 PM
June!?!? You ought to be there tomorrow! :shock:

JW6108
03-27-2009, 03:26 PM
June!?!? You ought to be there tomorrow! :shock:

You ought to be there yesterday! :kidding:

qajaq59
03-27-2009, 03:27 PM
If I were you my first trip would be to buy a Lottery ticket while you are on a roll!!!!!!

Tristan
03-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Jealously praying for you...

+10

Must be some karma coming back to you...

Recluse
03-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Dangit, how come I'm never the one to find the widowed woman who's husband had a million tons of alloy in the backyard....

Because all those widow ladies probably know you have not just an AK47, but a deadly accurate AK47. They might figure they're keeping the world safer by giving that stuff to ordinary lever gun and wheelgun shooters and casters.

:bigsmyl2::kidding:

Heh heh heh. . .

:coffee:

jdgabbard
03-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Because all those widow ladies probably know you have not just an AK47, but a deadly accurate AK47. They might figure they're keeping the world safer by giving that stuff to ordinary lever gun and wheelgun shooters and casters.

:bigsmyl2::kidding:

Heh heh heh. . .

:coffee:

Not look at my avatar? I prefer wheelies :drinks:

troy_mclure
03-27-2009, 06:56 PM
hey sheepdog, i currently live in louisania.
i also have no plans for the next week or so.
for a chunk of lead im willing to pick up and deliver the stuff to you.

Frank46
03-28-2009, 12:08 AM
Stop by my place in new iberia and will have a few buds in the fridge and gloat over your new stash. As well as shoot the breeze. Frank

Buckshot
03-28-2009, 03:11 AM
..............I can just see it now. Good ole sheepdog rolls up to this place and walks up to the door and knocks. The door opens and peering up at him thorugh the screen door is everymans white haired gran'ma. She's wipping her hands on her apron and at her side is a fat ole white muzzled Catahoula Cur. Can I help you honey? (we're down south, remember?) So our hero explains who he is, and she says, "Why yes of course won't you come in, I just took some cookies out of the oven, and there is some milk if you'd like." (We're down south, remember?:-))

So after a dozen hot oatmeal raisen choclate chip cookies and a quart of milk she says let me get my cane and we'll go out back. Walking slowly behind her, and down the back steps the old lady points her cane at an old truckless 40' truss rod boxcar, half covered in Kudzu apparently sitting on the ground. This was Abner's hideaway she says wistfully. Stopping and turning around she looks up and questions, "You were wanting lead, too I believe?"

Yes mam our ole buddy sheepdog says. Walking over to the end covered in Kudzu she begins poking around and says "He kept all that here, as I wouldn't have it strung all over. Moveing the cane to one side she reveals a neat head high and 10' long stack of linotype ingots. "I don't know what he ever planned on doing with all this. There's some more of a different kind I think, at the other end".

Well come on then and you'll have to open this door as I can't. Hope the light bulb works. There should be a chain there to your right honey. Abner just loved it out here and he never was one much for the television, you know. Dimly seen to the right along the wall is an old lineshaft Hendy lathe with an 8'bed, converted to electricity with an Chevy 4 speed trans mounted over the headstock, and belts running to the spindle, a round ram step head Bridgeport mill, a 8" Logan shaper, and a Craftsman drill press. Along the other wall ran a wrokbench, with tools neatly racked. In the middle sat a Gerstner tool chest. The old lady walked over and touched it. "Abner did so much like to tinker", she said. "He even made some things to fix our car", she proudly said.

To the left on the opposite wall was an old Kelvinator refrigerator and next to it on a long bookcase full of books sat a hotplate with a hammered aluminum percolator coffee pot. You pull out a thin book from a bunch of similar one's and see The Ideal catalog #3. The old lady walks unevenly over to a shallow but 6' wide cabinet that sat on the floor and extended to the ceiling. "This is where he kept his equipment for making bullets" she says. She pulls one door open and displays shelves 6" apart. Each one sags slightly, loaded with names on pasteboard boxes labeled Modern Bond, Santa Anita Engineering, Hensley & Gibbs, Lachmiller, Ideal, Lyman, Saeco, and others you've never seen before. However you also recognize some newer plastic orange and green boxes.

to the right of that is a counter with a couple lead furnaces, neat stacks of small lead ingots and all the odds and ends that go with casting. Then 8' of lubesizers mounted to a counter. Below it is modern plastic plastic parts drawer stacks holding lube-size dies. Above the counter are shelves holding cardboard boxes, all neatly labeled 32-40, 38-55, 30-30, 30-'06, 8mm, 7mm, 45 Colt, 38 Special, and on and on. Taking up the remaining room is a counter with reloading presses mounted and several stacks of cartridge trays. Underneath is boxes of primers and powder containers. Overhead on shelves are box after box of loaded ammunition.

At the very end is a rolltop desk and chair. The desk has a few papers on it along with a pipe stand and 5-6 pipes, and a tobacco humidor. Above the desk hangs a Model 54 Winchester in 30-06. Below that is another, but chambered 22 Hornet. To the right of the desk on the wall is a rifle rack, and in it is a M94 in 32-40, and another octagon barreled in 30-30. A 1903 Springfield, M1917 Enfield, a M70 Supergrade in 300 H&H magnum and a 1921 Savage in 250-3000, then 2 Lefever Nitro Special double barreled shotguns. A 12 and a 20 guage.

Now the question is sheepdog, what do YOU do? [smilie=w:

..................Buckshot

randyrat
03-28-2009, 05:42 AM
OOOOHHHH Buchshot you hit my weak spot....A stack of "oatmeal raisin chocolate chip cookies" with milk.
OH yeh the other stuff... You better be real nice to the lady.

The Dove
03-28-2009, 09:35 AM
June???? Heck Sheepdog, give me the address and I'll swing down there today and scope it out for you!!! HAHAHA

The Dove

troy_mclure
03-28-2009, 12:12 PM
well, cancel my offer for now, work called and told me to show up tonite for a week or so.

sheepdog
06-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Well next weekend I head down. The widow called to make sure I'm coming cause she's having the "workshop" pulled down. According to her you can't even walk around inside its so packed. :mrgreen: Now is it all reloading and casting stuff? Thats to be seen. She also says theres a closet of stuff as well so borrowing a buddy's Ram 1500 and a tow hitch in case I need a Uhaul. Wish me luck :)

Trey45
06-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Sheepdog, I don't know what you'll run in to there, but even if it's half of the picture buckshot painted you're a lucky dog!

sheepdog
06-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Sheepdog, I don't know what you'll run in to there, but even if it's half of the picture buckshot painted you're a lucky dog!

Keep an eye on the PIF section. When I get back hopefully it will be good enough I'll be pasting out goodies like candy on Halloween.