PDA

View Full Version : Somebody tell me about... Martinsdale Montana..

Old Ironsights
03-25-2009, 12:38 PM
I may try to get a job there.

454PB
03-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Doing what?

I own a cabin on a small lot in Martinsdale. Great hunting and fishing, but unless you raise cattle or build wind generators, there not much going on there anymore.

Old Ironsights
03-25-2009, 01:21 PM
I like "not much going on"... (and the potential job is the feild(s) mentioned)

(I know about the Wind guys, but what do you know about the local Ranches?... PM me with dirt if need be...)

I couldn't tell by the couple of websites, but how about Medical Support? Is the nearest Dr. in Bozeman?

waksupi
03-25-2009, 02:01 PM
I imagine Bozeman or Helena would be your closest big medical facility. Harlowtown may have a local sawbones.
You have good elk hunting in the Little Belt mountains, and good deer and antelope hunting. There are a couple Hutterite ranches around there that allow hunting, as do quite a few of the local ranches.
Martinsdale is a very small town. Plan on trips to a bigger town every couple weeks for supplies.

Old Ironsights
03-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Well, I grew up in Lander WY, and shopping beyond Pamida, ACE & or Sears Catalogue (until a target was built in '86 or so - right about the time I left) meant driving to Casper...

No problem for me. It's the Wife I have to deal with.

FN in MT
03-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Are You aware what salaries are like in MT?? Costs of goods and services?? The hunting and fishing are nice, same for the scenery but neither put much money in the bank.

There is a Ranch south of me that has been broken up into 20/40 acre parcels and has been getting a steady stream of people IN and OUT for the past fifteen years. Far more GO than stay.

Not a lot of jobs that pay a liveable salary out here. Montana is a tough place to make a living.

The only folks that seem to do OK are those with either a good retirement income coming in...or those that move out here with a good amount of money in their bank account.

FN in MT

Old Ironsights
03-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Not much new there. I haven't put any money in the bank since I made the mistake of going to Uni at 30.

According to the job solictation I'd bring in roughly the equivelent of $33k.. or, about what I currently make in the Chicago area...

Frankly, if I was not married, the application would already be in.

square butte
03-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Crazies ( that's a mountain range ) to the south, Little Belts to the north, Castle range over to the west nearer White Sulpher Springs. Excelent hunting all around you. Ranches in the Martinsdale area are very tightly held and ranch folk can be a bit suspicious or stand-offish of new folks in the neighborhood. The country to the south east is some of the most appealing i've ever looked at in that it fit my pictures of what i liked. Best town of any size close by, in my opinion, is Lewistown which is at the geographic center of Montana. It's about a 75 miles to the northeast. Has the largest fresh water spring in the US which also is possibly the purest in the US. Piped straight in to the municiple water system with nothing added and some of the best bath water i ever sat in. I hear there is a brand new world class shooting facility there as well. If i were to pick a place in MT - That would be it - somewher out of town. I've hunted quite a bit in the Judiths just to the northeast.

The Double D
03-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Martinsdale on 33K? I hope housing is provided.

Lander WY is a huge big city by comparison. After living there, I can understand you wanting ot come back west. But you better pay a visit to Martinsdale before you say yes.

Check this website. http://www.bigskyfishing.com/Montana-Info/city-galleries/martinsdale-mt.shtm. It was the most descriptive I found.

Goggle Martinsdale Mt and see what you find.

Good luck!

montana_charlie
03-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Not much new there. I haven't put any money in the bank since I made the mistake of going to Uni at 30.
Don't care for banks? That's good, because this is the only one in Martinsdale...
http://www.bigskyfishing.com/Montana-Info/city-galleries/martinsdale-pictures/old-bank.shtm

CM

Old Ironsights
03-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Yeah, housing, Utils & company vehicle provided.

It's not so much that I don't like banks... (well, actually, I don't) it's just that I've never had enough money to put in one.

I know it's not much $$ but I hate Chicagoland and depending on a number of uncontrolable variables the business I'm in could survive another 10 years or be bankrupt by next week.

I don't need the stress.

454PB
03-25-2009, 09:55 PM
You're being pretty tight lipped, but I have to assume it's the planned wind generator installation that would pay that kind of money and benefits. Wind is the worst thing about Martinsdale. I've always said that if the wind stops, everyone in the area will fall over. The town itself is basically a ghost town now, it was created during the days of the Milwaukee Railroad ( a now removed electric powered railway) as a sort of rail line substation. Many of the small homes are abandoned, or owned by people like me that wanted a toe hold in a sparcely populated hunting area. There is a Bar, and a hotel and restaurant across the street. My guess would be that the town itself has maybe 75 residents. As was said, the lifelong natives are very tight knit and both suspicious and curious about strangers. Getting permission to hunt on any private land is tough, but there is plenty of public land available. During the summer, there are a lot of fisherman using Matinsdale Reservoir.

White Sulphur Springs is about 34 miles west, Harlowton is about 32 east, and both have small hospitals. Winter can be brutal in this area, due to the WIND, cold, and drifting snow.

When I bought my place in 1980, I had visions of retirement there. Now that I'm retired, I wouldn't even consider living there year round. I'm not nearly as tough as I thought I was 29 years ago.

TCLouis
03-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Let's see . . .

Chicagoland . . .

MT . . .

ADIOS Illinois home of blog, daly, and obama

Yeah that's it!

Old Ironsights
03-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback... gives me things to ponder...

GOPHER SLAYER
03-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Square Butte, you stated that the town of Lewistown had the largest natural spring in the USA. I have never been in the beautiful state of Montana however I did get close once on a trip to Devils Tower Wyoming. I have been to Big Springs Missouri and I must tell you that it is a river shooting up out of the ground .It is also very cold . I was told at the time it was the largest spring in the good old USA. I have an atlas but right now I am just to tired to look it up. My nephew was working in Montana as a carpenter many years ago, I can't remember if it was in Butte or Billings , anyway they had to quit work when it got so far below zero they could no longer hold a hammer. Just something to think about.