PDA

View Full Version : what is your 9mm's bore diameter

smlekid
03-25-2009, 07:24 AM
I just checked the barrel on my Norinco M213 it measures .357" which seems a little big will I have much trouble loading bigger bullets in a 9mm?
I was looking at getting a Lee 124gr tumble lube in 9mm will I be able to get it to cast to .357-.358" by changing alloys?
this is my first 9mm pistol I am thinking that some lighter weight bullets intended for 38's might be the go I can get some 125gr cowboy bullets locally but they are flat point I don't know hoe they would feed

Leftoverdj
03-25-2009, 12:19 PM
I've never had any problem loading .358 diameter bullets for 9mms in a dozen or so guns. It's possible you'll run into one with a tight chamber, but it does not seem to be common.

Lee moulds typically run a thou over nominal. They claim their specs are from nominal to +.003, but I've never seen one .003 over. Seen several that cast nominal or smaller.

Your thinking is sound. It's a lot easier to size down than it is to make a mould cast larger. You can usually gain a thou by going to straight linotype, but that's scarce and expensive. Moulds can be shimmed or lapped to a larger size, but both are nuisances.

Only way to tell what your gun will feed is to try it. Some are fussier than others. Most can be made to feed a wide range of bullets, but that's a job for the experienced.

Lee's 358-125-RF should feed in most 9mms. The flat is no larger than the nose on many hollow points, but not all guns will feed hollow points, either.

StarMetal
03-25-2009, 12:26 PM
My 9mm barrel measurement goes in the other direction. I put a match 9mm Nowlin in my 1911 and it's groove measures .3535. To complicate matters I can't chamber any cases (any brand) that are loaded with bullets much over .354. I size my RCBS 124 grain TC bullet to .354 and the guns shoots just amazing. Now my Browing Hi Power will take fatter bullets and so will my P 38 Walther.

Joe

jdgabbard
03-25-2009, 01:17 PM
I would just Leement your mold to drop larger boolits. I had to do that to my 124-2R mold, now it drops at about .360, and they all size down to .358 nicely. Give it a try, I used fine valve lapping compound.