PDA

View Full Version : Tumble lube molds...what's reasonable?

rbstern
02-09-2006, 12:21 PM
I bought several of Lee's tumble lube molds for the convenience of loading unsized boolits. Generally, I find that they work as advertised.

One of the molds, the 356-124T, is throwing wheel weight boolits at about .3585; too big for 9mm use without sizing. Is it reasonable to expect Lee to replace this mold with one that casts closer to .356?

redneckdan
02-09-2006, 12:42 PM
yes. cast some bullets, write a note explaining whats wrong and and send the whole she'bang back to lee. they will fix it in about a week.

Leftoverdj
02-09-2006, 02:06 PM
I bought several of Lee's tumble lube molds for the convenience of loading unsized boolits. Generally, I find that they work as advertised.

One of the molds, the 356-124T, is throwing wheel weight boolits at about .3585; too big for 9mm use without sizing. Is it reasonable to expect Lee to replace this mold with one that casts closer to .356?

I would not consider that too big. If loaded cartridges chamber freely, I'd leave the bullets at that size and be grateful. It's undersized bullets that drive me nuts, and .356 was undersized in every 9 mm I have worked with. You may be able to get slightly smaller bullets just by casting at a slightly higher temperature.

rbstern
02-09-2006, 02:22 PM
I would not consider that too big. If loaded cartridges chamber freely, I'd leave the bullets at that size and be grateful. It's undersized bullets that drive me nuts, and .356 was undersized in every 9 mm I have worked with. You may be able to get slightly smaller bullets just by casting at a slightly higher temperature.

My 9mm checks in at .355 and these have been leading the barrel at reasonable velocities.