PDA

View Full Version : Purifying Beeswax

high standard 40
03-24-2009, 05:02 PM
I'd like to get some advice on purifying beeswax.
I've decided to have a go at lube making and the first step was to get some beeswax. I know a local beekeeper and paid him a visit. He gave me a chunk if very old wax he had laying around. Quite ugly, full of worm holes, trash, and bug parts. After reading here and elsewhere about purifying methods, this is how I proceeded.
I started boiling some water in an old pot and added the wax. After it melted, I ladled the liquid wax out and filtered it through an old t-shirt into another container. When I approached the water level in the boiling pot I removed it from heat and let it harden. I removed the floating cake and scraped most of the trash from the bottom & cleaned the pot. I then remelted the remaining cake and filtered it through a fresh cloth. The results appear to be pure with no sign of trash. I had weighed the block before and after and have very little loss. Most loss appears to be soaked into the t-shirt filter, but is very little.

Any suggestions or advice. Am I doing anything wrong?

jdgabbard
03-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Another method that one of the members here suggested some time ago was to use a pair of panty hoses and drop the wax in them, along with a lead ingot or something to weigh it down. Then drop it in a pot of boiling water. Apparently the wax melts filters itself through the panty hoses and floats on the surface. When you done, simply remove from the heat and let it cool. Soon you'll have a cake of wax on top.

high standard 40
03-24-2009, 05:19 PM
That's a great idea, I may try that.

Blammer
03-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Good going!

I use Cheese cloth, put about 2-3 layers and then use it as the filter, less beeswax tends to stick to it vs other types of materials.

the panty hose trick works well, but you have to have a way to have it proped open and stable over where the wax will pour into.

Woodsroad
03-24-2009, 07:50 PM
No need to use boiling water, 150ºf is all you need. Any higher and you are altering the physical properties of the wax, mostly aroma, but I love the smell of beeswax!

The pantyhose scheme works best for filtering, all the crud and bee parts stay in the pantyhose, clean wax seeps out and floats to the surface. Put a lid on the pot and allow the pot and wax to cool slowly. Rapid cooling results in a more friable wax, not what you want for lube. When it has cooled, simply pry the wax puck out of the pot and you are done. I keep a couple old pots and utensils just for beeswax.

jdgabbard
03-24-2009, 07:56 PM
I keep a couple old pots and utensils just for beeswax.

Me too. Of course, I get nice clean wax from the members here. They do all the prep work, and I get an outstanding product for a fraction of what others would try to sell you the same thing for.[smilie=w:

trevj
03-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Sounds like its working. Can't be wrong then!

I just boil a bunch of dirty wax together with a bunch of water. Filter it through an old gym sock (best use for a cotton sock I've yet found!) then allow the water/wax mix to cool slowly back to cold. The wax on top is usually pretty clean. Everything that floats can be put into a double boiler and the wax melted without as much water around and it works out OK.

Cheers
Trev

high standard 40
03-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. Can't have too much information. A wealth of knowledge here.