PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a recipe

Rockchucker
03-24-2009, 02:56 PM
For my TL356-124-TC cast boolits. I've been shooting 5.2 grs. with unique at spinner targets with good results, But don't have any other recipes with unique.

Ron

jdgabbard
03-24-2009, 03:52 PM
What are you loading it in?

putteral
03-24-2009, 04:01 PM
I use 4 grs of Titegroup in mine. Don't use Unique because it doesn't meter well in my Lee.

jdgabbard
03-24-2009, 04:04 PM
I use 4 grs of Titegroup in mine. Don't use Unique because it doesn't meter well in my Lee.

If you'll use a baffle you won't have that problem.

Rockchucker, what caliber are you loading for? The 356-124 can be used in a plethora of calibers. It will be easier to make sure we know what you're wanting to load then just guessing it is a 9MM.

Rockchucker
03-24-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm sorry Guys, it's a 9mm p-89. These cb's were a little large and would not cycle until I sized them, now they cycle great and I'm trying to find a recipe.

jdgabbard
03-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Well, my data for a 124-125g cast boolit shows a starting load for unique at 3.4g and a max load of 4.5g. So your load of 5.2g is a little on the high side of overcharging.

Now if your boolits are dropping a little light, like mine do (right at 120), Then you 4.0g to 5.0g for the difference in weight. But even then the 5.2 is high.

Unless you know your boolits are on the light side, I would go ahead and start with the 124-125g data.

Btw, this is straight out of the Lyman Pisol and Revolver Handbook. Which I consider to be my only source of data for any cartridge that they it list.

But if I were you, in the future I would switch to bullseye. I've had GREAT accuracy with it in the 9mm.

Rockchucker
03-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the information, I'm trying to find that book in stock as we speak. Midway is out of stock on it, guess I'll keep looking. I only loaded a few of those 5.2 grain, and didn't realize they were that hot. I'll certainly back off on that load. I do have 1 lb of bullseye that I picked up at a gun show, but I have a good bit of unique I need to use up.

jdgabbard
03-25-2009, 12:20 AM
Well, like I said, I'VE had accuracy with it. It all really depends on YOUR gun, and what IT likes. I've had wonderful accuracy with Bullseye in 9mm with that boolit. However, I am beginning to favor Unique in .38spl and .357mag. Right now I'm getting really good groups with Unique in both of those. Not to mention that Unique with light charges has turned out in recent years to be a proven load for most medium to small rifle cartridges geared at the 1600fps range. Play around and don't worry about using up the Unique. Powder, as long as it stays cool and dry, lasts essentially forever.

I was talking to one of the Supply Store Owners around here. He said that he found a can of powder he'd bought back in the 70's. Last month he loaded some rounds up with it and got just as good groups as he did way back then. So don't worry about "needing to use it up."

jdgabbard
03-25-2009, 12:26 AM
Another thing to think about is keeping a reloading journal. I know most people write things down, like favorite loads and whatnot. But I've been keeping a journal of everything. I go into as much detail as I feel is worthy of note.

For example my last log in it refers to loading some .38spl. I loaded in two batches, 100 rds a piece. I noted in there that on the first batch the measure was acting somewhat erratic while dropping charges (+/- 0.1g), while the second threw right on the money everytime. And that the boolits from the Second Batch looked "nicer cosmetically." And my predictions for those loadings were that the second batch would out perform the first. So when I go to the range and shoot them, I can compare groups between the two, and be able to tell if those "minor" flaws made any real difference in accuracy.

I know, I'm preaching to the Choir. However, just remember that your results are a direct result of your attention to detail, and relentless drive for perfection.