PDA

View Full Version : Collect brass automatically as you shoot?

ghh3rd
03-24-2009, 01:29 AM
I wondered how goofy it would look if someone had something clipped to their gun with a little net to collect the brass as it's ejected. Has anyone ever heard of anything like that?

Randy

OLPDon
03-24-2009, 02:22 AM
See it somewere online attaches to rifle or pistol. Also see a stand that catches brass as it is ejected. I shoot mostly indoor range so a broom does the job quite well.
Don

Fish_N_Russ
03-24-2009, 02:43 AM
uhhhh you mean a brass catcher??

Shiloh
03-24-2009, 05:45 AM
The brass catcher I saw, on a .40 S&W, looked rather ungainly. It seemed to work but certainly got in the way. I didn't ask the fellow any questions about it. It doesn't look like something I'd want on my handgun.

Shiloh

Down South
03-24-2009, 06:16 AM
I've seen the net stand type and I think it would work well. The only porblem would be taking the time to set it up each time you go to the range.

Flash
03-24-2009, 06:57 AM
I've seen one that clamps around your wrist with velcro and has a small net. Nothing on the gun. They're small enough to catch one mag of empty rounds. A buddy of mine made one pretty easy with a wire coat hanger and a nylon stocking.

bobk
03-24-2009, 07:04 AM
IIRC, the first one was for 1911s. WW1 pilots used them, supposedly, although I question what they could possibly hope to hit from a airplane in flight.
Bob K

Bret4207
03-24-2009, 07:05 AM
The only reason I don't shoot my auto's more often is that here at the HF Martin Memorial Ballistics Research Center ( my sandpit) the brass gets lost in the grass and dirt. I hope one day to build a simple 3 sided frame affair with loose screening to catch the brass.

Actually, it's just another reason to love revolvers.

Down South
03-24-2009, 07:31 AM
The only reason I don't shoot my auto's more often is that here at the HF Martin Memorial Ballistics Research Center ( my sandpit) the brass gets lost in the grass and dirt. I hope one day to build a simple 3 sided frame affair with loose screening to catch the brass.

Agreed, I don't shoot my auto's much either for the same reason. My range is in the back of my pasture and of course it's grass. I've even went to the trouble of mowing around my table when I plan to go shoot but it's still hard to find some of the brass.

inuhbad
03-24-2009, 07:44 AM
When I go to those more 'private' backyard style shooting ranges, I usually lay down a 20'x30' plastic tarp on the ground near the firing line... All those people with autoloaders can then either pick up their own brass, or if they don't want it, when I leave, I can just roll up the tarp & take all the brass it caught with me...

For me, I live in the city, about 2.5 miles from an indoor range that is notorious for not letting reloaders keep their brass! They'll sit behind the shooter with a broom sometimes, and while you're shooting they'll sweep the brass up and shove it in front of the firing line where you can't get it anymore! This makes it next to impossible to get your brass back - and the employees do that because they get first dibs on the 'free' brass at the end of each day.

It infuriates me and I've talked with the owner of the gun range about that, but he says the best thing to do is tell them you reload so they put you on an end-lane up against a wall so you can collect your brass. In the same respect, whenever I've told them, they've still sometimes swept up my brass while I"m shooting before I can get it!

I've resorted to buying a brass catcher for some of my rifles, and just not shooting there much anymore! One of the rifles I'm building will have a built-in brass catcher too.

armyrat1970
03-24-2009, 07:45 AM
The outdoor ranges I have shot at have deflectors you have to put up to stop the ejected cases from flying into the next lane and covering the next shooter with hot brass. It does not actually catch all of the expended brass but it does save a lot of it around you and your not throwing them at the guy next to you. Especially when shooting an AK. They sling it for 20 feet.

dragonrider
03-24-2009, 07:48 AM
In the situation that Bret descripes I spread a tarp to catch brass. With my SKS I gave up trying to find the brass and just took out the gas piston, operate it manually like a straight pull bolt gun and the brass fall right next to me.

3006guns
03-24-2009, 08:19 AM
A small "a-frame" frame can be built from wood...say three feet high...covered with window mesh and unfolded like a pup tent on top of the shooting bench. The ejected brass strikes the screen and is contained in the area around the shooter. At the end of the day pick up your brass, fold up the screen and head home.

I learned a trick from a 1940's American Rifleman article that works exceedingly well for recovering brass in rough terrain or tall grass. Pick up all that you can see easily, then return later after dark with a flashlight. Shining the light makes the brass gleam and you can pick up the missing ones. It works......in fact I usually come back with more brass than I fired, which is always nice!;-)

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
03-24-2009, 08:35 AM
I had an old metal detector laying around and found that to work great at finding those pescky pieces of brass in the tall grass.

Westwindmike
03-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Here is a portable brass catcher that fits in an ammo can. Could probably build one cheap.
http://www.bubca.com/
http://bubca.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/BUBCAIISetup.jpg

par0thead151
03-24-2009, 10:36 AM
im sure you will have their attention if you stop shooting, turn, face them and start yelling to keep their filthy hands off of your brass.
a man who has a partially loaded weapon and shouting to stop stealing from him, can be a convincing sight.
doesn't the range have a cease fire? i would wait till there is no one there(other shooters) and go in front of the line and get my brass + some.
or bring your own broom and take back your brass and then some...
thats just me though.

When I go to those more 'private' backyard style shooting ranges, I usually lay down a 20'x30' plastic tarp on the ground near the firing line... All those people with autoloaders can then either pick up their own brass, or if they don't want it, when I leave, I can just roll up the tarp & take all the brass it caught with me...

For me, I live in the city, about 2.5 miles from an indoor range that is notorious for not letting reloaders keep their brass! They'll sit behind the shooter with a broom sometimes, and while you're shooting they'll sweep the brass up and shove it in front of the firing line where you can't get it anymore! This makes it next to impossible to get your brass back - and the employees do that because they get first dibs on the 'free' brass at the end of each day.

It infuriates me and I've talked with the owner of the gun range about that, but he says the best thing to do is tell them you reload so they put you on an end-lane up against a wall so you can collect your brass. In the same respect, whenever I've told them, they've still sometimes swept up my brass while I"m shooting before I can get it!

I've resorted to buying a brass catcher for some of my rifles, and just not shooting there much anymore! One of the rifles I'm building will have a built-in brass catcher too.

mike in co
03-24-2009, 10:50 AM
im sure you will have their attention if you stop shooting, turn, face them and start yelling to keep their filthy hands off of your brass.
a man who has a partially loaded weapon and shouting to stop stealing from him, can be a convincing sight.
doesn't the range have a cease fire? i would wait till there is no one there(other shooters) and go in front of the line and get my brass + some.
or bring your own broom and take back your brass and then some...
thats just me though.

indoor private ranges, the customers are NOT allowed forward of the firing line...ever, and no they typically do not have cease fire's.

both of the indoor ranges i service allow customers to pick up"thier" brass, but no brass scavaging.

it amazes me the difference in the mind sets of "shooters" and "reloaders". i can barely comprehend buying ammo and shooting it, "shooters" buy ammo shoot it and dont even look at the brass.
( but it is great for my biz)

mike in co

Larry Gibson
03-24-2009, 10:57 AM
I've had one of the hard plastic brass catchers that were available commercially some years back for a M1 Carbine. It works pretty good actually. Not all that big, snaps on and off (no mod to weapon needed) and it is solid so it doesn't flop around. I get an occasional stove pipe with it when i'm working the trigger fast on a running jack rabbit. Really makes "finding' the brass easy.

Wish I had gotten one for the SKS.

Larry Gibson

par0thead151
03-24-2009, 10:57 AM
mike, i would make a point to let the owner know they are loosing a customer due to their insulting attitude towards hand loaders. letting your employees steal brass from reloaders is insulting and theft.
people who blatantly disregard a polite request i give to leave my property alone do not fare well with me.

actually i would probably go back to the range and when shooting(assuming they dont charge by the hour), ask other shooters if i can police their brass for them. if they say i can have it, it is my brass,not the range's
tit for tat....
they take my brass, i take brass of other shooters(given i have their permission). this way i come home with far more brass than i shoot.

and i second not being able to fathom buying factory ammo. too dang expensive!
it was like pulling teeth buying a few TAP rounds for my AR. i even hate buying match grade bullets, however i do enjoy the accuracy

badgeredd
03-24-2009, 11:40 AM

Bret,

You can do as I have for cheap and portable within reason.
I bought a cheapie plastic tarp, mounted it with some screws that poke through the grommets to a 2x2 frame with feet. It's a 10x 6 tarp and the frame is about 4x6 high. The xcess height is draped on the ground (staked up on the corners),and the majority of the hulls fall into the bottom after hitting the loose tarp. Works fairly well for me with a 90-95% catch. What don't actually lay on the tarp at the bottom usually are close by the edges. Just a thought.

Edd

montana_charlie
03-24-2009, 12:36 PM
I live in the city, about 2.5 miles from an indoor range that is notorious for not letting reloaders keep their brass! They'll sit behind the shooter with a broom sometimes, and while you're shooting they'll sweep the brass up and shove it in front of the firing line where you can't get it anymore!
I would (first) have a talk with the management to see if that situation could be ended.

If no agreement is forthcoming, I would (second) decide if I am willing to be banned from that range.

If I am willing to say goodbye, I would (third) go to the range one day, and keep a close eye on the broom(s). If I saw one with nobody holding it, I would clear my weapon, leave the line, and shove the broom out in front of the line...so nobody could use it...then return to my position.

If all else fails, I would only shoot brass at that range which is so old it's only good for one more shot, anyway.
CM

par0thead151
03-24-2009, 12:38 PM
or shoot steel or aluminum cased pistol rounds :-)

MT Gianni
03-24-2009, 08:34 PM
I bought a device on e-bay several years ago that fits on the thickest part of my palm. It has a bag and a frame that extends up and it doesn't bother my view of the sights. It catches 75% of 9mm, 90-100% of 45 and 100% of 223 & 7.62. I have not seen another since but it saves me time.

jhrosier
03-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Here is a portable brass catcher that fits in an ammo can. Could probably build one cheap.....

Mike,
I went to the website because the catcher looked like a good one.
The pages were very difficult to read, being black text on a blue background.
I sent a message to the outfit suggesting they change the color scheme.

I got back a very rude message, suggesting that I don't contact them again!

What a bunch of flaming @@@holes.

They can put their over priced catcher in a place where the sun don't shine.

No disrespect to you though, Thanks for trying to help.:drinks:

Jack

jcwit
03-24-2009, 11:43 PM
If you have a bench or table in front of you where you shoot here is what I use and it works great with most auto pistols and rifles.

It is a large 18/20 inches in dia. fish net with a 6 foot wooden one inch handle. Cut approx 16/18 inches from end of handle, this is saved and put into the net to hold it open. Next take a randem length of 2 x 4 --12/ 24 inches long and drill a one inch hole in it for handle to slid thru. Drill this hole about 2 inches from end. Take a hand saw and make a cut from ent to the one inch hole. Finally cross drill a 13/32 hole for a cross bolt to pinch the 2 x 4 to the one inch handle. Last thing you need is a "C" clamp or one of the slining clamps to hold the 2 x 4 to the bench/table.

These nets are available at most Walmarts in the sporting goods section for around $12. And as you can see measurments can vary a bunch to suit your personable needs.

Hope this makes sense, wish I knew how to post pics, as this makes a perfect brass catcher for around $15. Works great and very easy to set up and takes up very little room.

Hope this is clearier than mud.

beagle
03-24-2009, 11:53 PM
Gave a friend a GI mosquito net for when he and his friends shoot Class 3s. They place it on sticks and it does a respectable job on 9mm and .45 ACP.

Worst gun I have for throwing brass is a .351 SL and since those cases are like gold, I often use a similar net./beagle

Nefarious Cohort
03-25-2009, 12:27 AM
We shoot out in the desert and it was darn near impossible to find your brass, it blended right in with the enviroment. I just happened to be in Harbor Freight when they were putting their large moving blankets on sale so I picked up 4 of them, With those laid out it serves as a nice place to lay prone or sit on the ground andwhen your done you just roll them and all the brass up and tip them over a ammo can.

the blankets store nicely under the rear bench of the pickup for other uses too.

armyrat1970
03-25-2009, 08:28 AM
mike, i would make a point to let the owner know they are loosing a customer due to their insulting attitude towards hand loaders. letting your employees steal brass from reloaders is insulting and theft.
people who blatantly disregard a polite request i give to leave my property alone do not fare well with me.

actually i would probably go back to the range and when shooting(assuming they dont charge by the hour), ask other shooters if i can police their brass for them. if they say i can have it, it is my brass,not the range's
tit for tat....
they take my brass, i take brass of other shooters(given i have their permission). this way i come home with far more brass than i shoot.

and i second not being able to fathom buying factory ammo. too dang expensive!
it was like pulling teeth buying a few TAP rounds for my AR. i even hate buying match grade bullets, however i do enjoy the accuracy

I have shot at indoor ranges as well as outdoor ranges. Never had a problem picking up my fired brass. Have even been able to pick up others fired brass when asking them if they wanted it. I don't just walk around and pick up brass. I also buy buckets of brass. I use what I use and try to sell what I don't. The rest goes into the scrap pile for sale.