PDA

View Full Version : First pan lube!

smburnette
03-23-2009, 01:29 PM
I decided to break out my new 452-200-swc mold.. I only cast around 100 bullets since I was just playing around.. I took 10 of them and decided to do an experament in pan lubing.. I took a block of wax, some olive oil, a couple of crayons and a squirt or two of lee liquid alox.. I didn't measure anything, just eyeballed it... Melted it all together and adjusted until it formed a soft solid when hardened.. I set my 10 bullets in a pan, poured the lube until the lube groove was covered, then threw it in the oven for about 10 minutes at 200 degrees.. It then went straight into the fridge until it hardened.. I then used a fired 45-70 case to cut the bullets out and sized them.. I am proud of what turned out from my first attempt.. It sure is messy however..

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr225/wot_racing/DSCN0498.jpg

EMC45
03-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Fine job! The bullets look perfect BTW!

smburnette
03-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Thank you, but not all of them turned out that great.. The first 5 or so pours were horrible... The rest were turning out well, but I messed up the majority of them.. I was also doing an experiment in water quenching.. When doing that, you need a DEEP poor of water... I had a small pyrodex dish with water about 3 inches deep.. Most of my bullets ended up dented and dinged up from being dropped on the other bullets.. They would probably be fine, but I like my bullets to be as close to perfect as possible...

They are wheel weights, and with the libe weigh exactly 202 grains...

Calamity Jake
03-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Very good job indeed!!!

You might try sizing first then pan lube. And if you can spair that 45-70 case then cut the head off of it and push one boolet on top of the other pushing them out the top, it's
faster that way and a little less messy.

One other thing you might give a try if you have hot plate. Place pan lube pan on it and turn it on very low, while it heats up put sized boolets in the holes created from the previous lubing. When the lube has melted the boolets are hot enough to accept the lube, let cool and cut them out

Down South
03-23-2009, 03:06 PM
you need a DEEP poor of water... I had a small pyrodex dish with water about 3 inches deep..Yes you need something much deeper. A 5-gallon bucket about 2/3 full of water works well for me. some folks even have a towel folded up in the bottom of the bucket but I have never had a need to do that. Maybe with the heavier 45-70 boolits a towel may be needed.