PDA

View Full Version : Lee push through sizer

Gunlaker
03-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Hi,

I just picked up a Lee push through sizer. I've got a bunch of 500gr .45-70 bullets to size. Am I better off sizing them and then lubing with Alox, or should I lube, size and then lube again?

thanks,

Chris.

dk17hmr
03-23-2009, 12:49 PM
I hose my bullets down with WD-40 if they are going through a LEE sizer. Than I pan lube them or tumble lube after. Keeps the sizer die a bit cleaner.

Rockchucker
03-23-2009, 01:13 PM
I tumble lubed mine with a mixture of alox and mineral sprits, Then sized them and lubed them again. I would lube the sizer die first to get a little lube in it, My first couple boolits were pretty tough going thru but after those the rest went through great.

Char-Gar
03-23-2009, 05:18 PM
I would not go anywhere near a firearm or ammo with WD-40. When it came out, it was all the range for gun use. Then folks started to find out, it can creep just about anywhere and it will kill primers grave yard dead.

docone31
03-23-2009, 05:25 PM
I use a Lee Sizer Die.
When I paper patch, I use dish soap for lube. It rinses off really easily. When I pan lube, I lube and run it through the die.
Both work well for each application.

Leftoverdj
03-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Yeah, it helps to use a little lube when sizing, and it does not seem to matter much what lube you use. Only a trace is needed. I don't use LLA to lube before sizing because of the mess and drying time, but I've used anything within reach from hand lotion to cooking spray. One I particularly like is lanolin rubbed into my hands. Just handling the bullets transfers enough to ease sizing.

My girlfriend liked that method, too.

Gunlaker
03-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Perfect. Thanks for the ideas!

Chris.

Down South
03-23-2009, 09:50 PM
I understand that the spray case lubes work well for sizing boolits too. When I used the Lee push through dies I pan lubed first but it gets a little messy.

deltaenterprizes
03-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Pledge furniture polish is silicone based and works well for a spray lubricant to size bullets.

Gohon
03-23-2009, 10:46 PM
I used a light spraying of One Shot case lube a couple times and it worked well but my concern was it may affect the LLA properties to stick to the bullets so I stopped using it. Now I just do as instructed and coat with a very thin coat of LLA and run them through the sizer. Not really that much of a hassle. One thing for sure and that is WD-40 is something I would never use.