PDA

View Full Version : Sportsman's Warehouse - now filing for bankruptcy

handyrandyrc
03-23-2009, 11:29 AM
They are worth $436 million.

They owe creditors $452 million.

Guess we know now why the shortage. Nobody wants to sell them anything, as they don't pay their bills!

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?hlpage=2&nid=210&sid=53583

Couple of comments on the story are interesting. One is a guy who works for a print shop that does printing for Sportsman's Warehouse. He just lost his job. However, he also mentioned the print shop is owed $100k for work they've done and not been paid for.

Another post was from a guy who is a vendor for them -- he is owed $15k.

BPCR Bill
03-23-2009, 11:46 AM
That explains alot. I had my brother in Boise looking for primers for me, and seems the store there is just as empty as the ones here in Oregon. He did manage to buy a brick of 17 HMR ammo, but that's all they had. Not even 22 ammo.

Regards,
Bill

garandsrus
03-23-2009, 05:12 PM
I have one of their credit cards that I stopped using after the store near me closed. I am glad that I used my "rebates" a month or so ago :)

John

Dennis Eugene
03-23-2009, 09:55 PM
well I've never been in one and now I guess I never will be. Dennis

jdowney
03-23-2009, 10:22 PM
well I've never been in one and now I guess I never will be. Dennis

You still might. They filed chapter 11 for protection from creditors as they try to reorganize and regain a profitable position. Chapter 7 is liquidation.

Dennis Eugene
03-23-2009, 10:30 PM
OK but don't hold your breath I only get to the outside once evey couple years. Dennis

JIMinPHX
03-24-2009, 06:45 AM
The news link didn't work for me. The Sportsman's Warehouse web site still just says that they are selling 15 stores & closing 23 others.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/news.cfm

Tom Herman
03-24-2009, 08:39 AM
OK but don't hold your breath I only get to the outside once evey couple years. Dennis

Hi Dennis! You're not missing much by not getting out more often than you do...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

jdowney
03-24-2009, 09:23 AM

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
From your avatar Dennis, it looks like when you get out, you get out to the right places!

Dennis Eugene
03-25-2009, 11:02 PM
I do love to get out there. Dennis

Tom Herman
03-28-2009, 09:20 AM
Hi Folks,

I was in the area, so I visited the Lacey, WA store yesterday. It's even worse than before! I couldn't see anything for primers or powder, and what had been well stocked bullet shelves were at least 50% empty now.
It's a pattern I've seen many times before when a store is circling the drain: Useless stuff on the shelves, and the merchandise that sells well is nowhere to be seen.
I'm not hopeful...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Nazgul
03-28-2009, 10:26 AM
I go to the Lafayette, IN store when visiting my daughter at Purdue. Last week was there and they are closing. Decent sale, still had stuff on the shelves. Bought a nice Martin Longbow for 1/3 off.

Don

BPCR Bill
03-28-2009, 10:33 AM
I stopped into the store here in Salem, OR a few weeks back and bought a couple pounds of powder. I tried to get my "Veterans Discount" and it didn't apply. Guess I don't have to go back there again, even if they survive and are the only game in town.

Regards,
Bill

mtgrs737
03-28-2009, 10:56 AM
The Wichita Kansas store is closing, I'm going to miss that store! But they still have the taxpayer funded Gander Mountian store that has Cat's back high prices! Oh happy day!

auzzie101
03-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Hi Folks,

I was in the area, so I visited the Lacey, WA store yesterday. It's even worse than before! I couldn't see anything for primers or powder, and what had been well stocked bullet shelves were at least 50% empty now.
It's a pattern I've seen many times before when a store is circling the drain: Useless stuff on the shelves, and the merchandise that sells well is nowhere to be seen.
I'm not hopeful...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

I stop by the lacey outlet every couple of weeks. I drive by it on my way to work and don't really care for cabela's. I was talking to one of the gun sales guy's and he said they are owned by some Canadian Co-Op and were one of the stores sold in 15 store deal. He was telling me that the trucks were going to start showing up in a week or two. I kind of got the impression that they are in limbo right now because of the sale. He was very optimistic that the new owners were going to do a much better job running the store, maybe even have a used gun section.

Another customer heard me asking for powder and said that he had been everywhere and there is none to be found. I asked about primers and he said he hadn't seen any but, he had about 500 so he was well off. It just goes to show you that everybody has there own comfort level when it comes to stockpiling supplies. If I had 500 primers I'd probably have to take up a new hobby:(.

Tom Herman
03-29-2009, 12:40 AM
I stop by the lacey outlet every couple of weeks. I drive by it on my way to work and don't really care for cabela's. I was talking to one of the gun sales guy's and he said they are owned by some Canadian Co-Op and were one of the stores sold in 15 store deal. He was telling me that the trucks were going to start showing up in a week or two. I kind of got the impression that they are in limbo right now because of the sale. He was very optimistic that the new owners were going to do a much better job running the store, maybe even have a used gun section.

Another customer heard me asking for powder and said that he had been everywhere and there is none to be found. I asked about primers and he said he hadn't seen any but, he had about 500 so he was well off. It just goes to show you that everybody has there own comfort level when it comes to stockpiling supplies. If I had 500 primers I'd probably have to take up a new hobby:(.

I was getting ready to totally write off the OLY store... I'll try them again next time I'm in town.
I am not fond of Cabela's, either.... SW had teriffic prices on powder the last time I actually found some in stock.
I've been at stores from Castle Rock to OLY, and found nothing in the big box stores. Four Corners in Castle Rock just got a powder shipment in, but no Unique.
I may have to diversify, and make loads from whatever powder I can find. The guy had a couple of cans of Red Dot, but no more primers.
Fortunately, I do have considerable stock, most of it bought nearly a year ago well in advance of the election, when stuff was readily available.
I'll load until I run out, hopefully I'll be able to restock long before then.
Lesson learned from this, I need to lay in an even bigger stockpile.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

dakotashooter2
03-29-2009, 11:35 PM
This does not totally suprise me. One of the reasons possibly being they expanded too fast. Given the current economy it would't suppries me if Cabela's started throttling back and even closing a few stores in the near future.

JDFuchs
03-29-2009, 11:55 PM

After loading up some 32 H&R this week I only have 400 small pistol left! I was just starting to get somewhat decent groups shooting that single six and my 38spl. Im not going to waste any of them on the 9mm I need to load up... :neutral:

jdowney
04-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Man, the store in Las Cruces that's closing is a bit of a joke! Popular stuff, like jeans, are supposed to be discounted, but they raised the sticker price up so they could discount it back to their normal price.

And then I bought some stuff for tying flies that was legitimately discounted, but didn't look at my receipt because I was in a bit of a hurry to get back on the road. First item is something I didn't purchase, no idea what it is, but I did pay $5 for it! Now I'm stuck at work on top of a mountain for a week before I can even get back and chew them a new one over it. I'll go complain to the manager in Albuquerque if the Las Cruces store is gone when I get back there, but I don't expect any satisfaction.

Edit* -- Well, I'll give the LC manager credit, I got so ticked about this yesterday that I sent him an email, the called me the same evening and after a discussion of the problem said they'd credit the sale for the disputed item. Paid with a credit card so he can do it without my coming in. Not bad for a store that will be gone in a week or two.

georgewxxx
04-01-2009, 09:05 PM
The Sportsman's store in Sioux Falls has been closing out for almost a month. I finally made into town today and stopped by. As a few buddies said, "Ain't much left". But here's the kicker....One brand new RCBS Pro Melt on the shelf followed me home for $225+ tax. Heck I was looking for cheap buys on belts, shirts and pants and only a few overpriced ones of those left. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to replace my old Lyman Mould Master-XX that had just died. It's was one no parts are available for anymore. ........Geo

Tom Herman
04-06-2009, 10:26 PM
I was in the area due to work, so I dropped in... Four people at the gun counter talking to themselves... No powder or primers. This is getting old...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Mtman314
04-06-2009, 11:10 PM
well the billings store has very little in powder and only shotgun primers. The helena store has a bit more powder but no primers the bozeman store has little powder and no primers.

trk
04-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Closing the one in Roanoke, VA.
2nd or 3rd day of the sale there were no reloading materials (primers/powder) left except a can or two of slow moving powder ...