PDA

View Full Version : mono lead

JKearns
02-08-2006, 03:30 PM
I'm new to the forum and look forward to learning much from you fellow shooters.. I have been casting for about 30 years but only recently got serious about it if that makes any sense:)

I have come into a supply of mono. Would anyone know the hardness rating for it? At first I thought it was lino but apparently its even harder.

Many thanks
John

sundog
02-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Welcome, John. Try this:

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Tell us about what you've been doing for thirty years. sundog

Bullshop
02-08-2006, 04:17 PM
I'm new to the forum and look forward to learning much from you fellow shooters.. I have been casting for about 30 years but only recently got serious about it if that makes any sense:)

I have come into a supply of mono. Would anyone know the hardness rating for it? At first I thought it was lino but apparently its even harder.

Many thanks
John
monotype
lead tin antimony
72% 9% 19% BHN-28
BIC/BS

Johnch
02-08-2006, 05:58 PM
I would mix it 1 Mono to 3 or 4 WW .

IMO it would make a great mix for hard bullets .

Johnch

9.3X62AL
02-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Welcome to the asylum, J. Kearns!

I do a similar thing--add 15%-20% foundry type to WW to get close to Taracorp alloy (92/6/2). Call it "WW Sweetening".

Murphy
02-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Welcome to the board John,

I just in the past month or so became a member here. A wealth of information and great guys. I'd been casting for close to 20 years when I got here. Already learned some great things I'd never read or heard of before.

Respectfully,

Murphy

JKearns
02-08-2006, 08:18 PM
THank you all for the warm welcome.:)
I was lucky enough to go groundhog shooting with my "dutch uncle" starting around my 8th birthday. Here we cant shoot handgun until your 21. Joined the university revolver club after graduation. Bought a 44 mag from Herter's just before the govt closed that off with the GCA of 68. Started casting for it. At one point I bought about two dozen moulds from Lyman,mostly hangun. At present beside the handgun stuff I am casting a 210 gr Lyman(311284) for the 30-06 and a 55 grain Lyman (22835)for my 22 Savage Hi-power. Lots to learn in my old age. fortunatly I shoot with a fellow who is a caster as well:)

nighthunter
02-09-2006, 05:46 PM
JKearns............ Mono is totaley useless as a casting material. It is a very toxic to the enviornment material. If you handle it with your hands or as much as smell it before melting you can cause an untold number of birth defects thousands of miles from where you live. You are living in a very dangerous world with that terrible stuff in your basement. What you need to do is to put it in a box and use UPS to deliver it to me. I am totaly trained to dispose of said elements a little at a time. Just send that awful crap to me and you will not have any further worries. Believe me ....... I have fed this line of crap to others.
Nighthunter

454PB
02-09-2006, 06:24 PM
Welcome to the forum. I also own one of the Herter "Western Marshal" .44 magnum revolvers. It's kind of awkward looking, but an amazingly accurate revolver.

Dale53
02-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Herter Western Marshal - "Better than need be." [smilie=l:

Dale53

JKearns
02-10-2006, 01:51 AM
You are right about the Herters pistol. It does shoot very well but I found the original grips to be useless in my hands. I ended up making a set that was a little better.It really needs a pair with a thumb rest to stop it rolling back and biting the middle finger.

Nighthunter.. thanks for the offer of asasistance in the safe disposal of that mono. I would hate to put any of the delivery people in jeopardy by asking them to transfer such a noxious substance. Fortunately, I belong to a rifle club that will let me bury it in either the 100, 200 or 300 yard backstops. I will be doing it at 200 grains at a time:) For those interested I will let you know the group results when they are available.

I will be in Wisconsin and then Houston for the next 8 weeks so no reports until then. Besides its way too cold :)