PDA

View Full Version : Lead muffins sticking in the tin, help?

Bobby Ironsights
03-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Hi, started melting down the lead from the scrapyard now, lead muffins are sticking in the tin.

Tried smoking with the candle, usually works, but still sticking occasionally.

Will graphite work? Is it as simple as coating the inside with the lead of a pencil?

03-22-2009, 05:34 PM
I sprayed my muffin pan with Midways (Frankford Arsenal) "Drop Out". The coating is very durable and ingots fall right out.

DAFzipper
03-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Use a propane torch and heat the muffin tin so it starts to glow. You only have to do this once and they will fall out easily after that. This takes the coating off the tin. I will rust a bit but it won't hurt anything.

fredj338
03-22-2009, 08:04 PM
What kind of muffin tin did you use? I have no problems w/ steel, iron or aluminum. The aluminum ones work the slickest. Just pour the lead in & shake the ingots out.

SAJTU
03-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Bought a couple tin-plated steel muffin tins at Goodwill for .99 cents each some time back. Took some Comet cleaner on a wet rag and scrubbed the tin plating off the steel. Left them out in the yard to rust a little and have never had any ingots stick...just pour, cool, and dump!

Namerifrats
03-22-2009, 10:16 PM
I had that problem. Started dumping them about a 1minute and a half after the top became solid. Let them sit and cool and you'll have a hell of a time getting them out. I did anyway.

RegCom7
03-22-2009, 10:42 PM
That's been my experience too. They stick if you leave them in the tins too long. After I pour the lead into the muffin tins I wait 5 to 10 minutes, then dump them out. They never stick. The spray-on graphite quick-release stuff works great too. And it also helps if you put your muffin tins upside-down over a smoky campfire for awhile. Once they're good and black nothing will stick. :coffee:

HangFireW8
03-22-2009, 11:37 PM
I sprayed my muffin pan with Midways (Frankford Arsenal) "Drop Out". The coating is very durable and ingots fall right out.

Same here.

-HF

jonk
03-23-2009, 09:43 AM
I had that issue as well. It seems to be the coating. Next try I'm going to blast the tin with the weed burner until it is crackling hot. Then if need be add some of the mold release spray. I hate to do that. I hate the stuff and the can I have is dead, propellent all leaked out over years of non-use. I would hate to order another can.

Ugly Dwarf
03-23-2009, 05:47 PM
I bought new tin's at the dollar store and had problems with them sticking. I rubbed them inside with sandpaper and then left them out in the weather to rust a little.

Brand new I had to dump them as soon as they solidified. Once rusted, I can dump them even after they're cool to the touch.