PDA

View Full Version : mold repair

acemedic13
03-22-2009, 08:53 AM
As I am casting with my lee 230 gr. 2 cavity mold, I get a few boolits that are seperated slightly at the nose of the boolit. Meaning, one side is higher than the other. I know it is due to the mold not lining up correctly. How do I adjust, tighten, fix or (whatever) the mold?? It only happens to a few. It's not every boolit. When I close it, I tap the bottom of the mold against the sprue plate to align it. This seems to work. If it dont get it just right everytime or even if it appears that it is aligned, this still happens. Is it a common thing? Does not seem to be common in my other molds. If not, how do I "field strip" and repair this thing? Thanks for replies.

WHITETAIL
03-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Send it back!:-D

Ben
03-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Yep...send it back !

No_1
03-22-2009, 09:42 AM
You did not mention if this is a old mould or new mould. Either way I would check your alignment pin(s) engagement.

Robert

badgeredd
03-22-2009, 09:43 AM
Is this a Lee Mold?

If it is, I have one that doesn't align it self correctly occasionally. What works for me is to almost close the mold and then set the mold with a little tap on a 2x4 piece that is on my casting table. Then close the mold completely with it sitting on the 2x and then move the sprue plate back into position. It takes a lot longer to explain it than to do it. With that particular mold, it is second nature now to do as I said.

It MAY need the hinge bolt tightened to make it align better.

Good luck.

Edd

mooman76
03-22-2009, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't say it is common but on the same note it is not uncommon. I have a couple mould that do that. I got to where I always tap the mould lightly when closing to help insure it is closed. On the other hand it's like beagling without the beagle!

runfiverun
03-22-2009, 03:00 PM
i have a mold that i have to close with the sprue cutter facing the floor ,or i have to sit it on the bench to close it correctly, since it is aluminum [classic n.e.i.] and i don't wanna mess it up.

Dale53
03-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Lee two cavity moulds have a rather unique alignment method. They have a horizontal "pin" that is supposed to align with an aluminum "v" in the other mould half. The problem is that this puts steel against aluminum and it tends to hang up. The solution is actually pretty easy. I use Bullshop's Sprueplate lube the way he instructs. Then, I also lube the alignment surfaces (pin and v) with it. Now, since it is lubricated, the parts slip together easily and alignment is perfect.

Apply with a que-tip and don't allow any to get into the bullet cavities.

The mould is now much nicer to use and the lube seems to last for a couple of hours. Then, just re-apply.

Every other lube I have tried to use over many, many, years, just "burns on" and eventually holds the blocks apart. Bullshop's Sprueplate lube does NOT gunk up the mould.

Dale53

acemedic13
03-22-2009, 06:32 PM
I will try and lube this thing. It is a new mold. Not in the sense that this is the first cast session with it. I have cast several hundred boolits with this mould. It is new to me. I dont know how long the model has been out. When I bought it, it was brand new in the box. I bought it from a guy around here some time back. Wiljen sent me some boolits from the same mold a while ago. I will see if he knows the nomenclature.

Anyways, I cast a bunch of 45 today with it, I tapped the bottom everytime(as usual) to insure alignment and had no real snags. One or two out of a few hundred. So it's not a show stopper but, it really cuts down on production, having to check the alignment this carefully every cast. No big deal, speed aint the goal, its quality. It puts out really nice boolits when it's not being a booger. So I will continue to use it and just be more studious in my casting. Thanks for the replies. Joel

Dale53
03-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Joel;
The link for Bullshop is at the bottom of this page. Try it and I know you'll never want to do without Sprueplate lube again.

Dale53

acemedic13
03-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Will do Dale. Thanks.

shotman
03-23-2009, 01:19 AM
dale is right on with the lee2 cav. shotman

dubber123
03-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Keep in mind it's pretty easy to ruin the alignment on a Lee 2 cavity. You have a VERY hard steel alignment pin working against VERY soft aluminum. A few "enthusiastic" closings, and the aluminum takes it hard.

If lubed and closed gently, they last a long time. Once the aluminum "V" part of the alignment system is pounded out of spec, you're done.