PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at wax boolits

ghh3rd
03-21-2009, 02:41 PM
I have five .38 cases with the primer cup drilled out that my 11 yr old son uses whenever I'm generous enough to give him some primers to fire (no powder or boolit). Today I softened a 1/2 thick pariffin wax sheet and pused the cases into it and loaded some wax boolits.

I pushed the wax to the bottom of the cases and primed them. At about 12 feet they were grouping about 5"-6" low, as I heard they were likely to do. I wondered if adding a tiny amount of Bullseye would bring up the group without blasting the wax apart.

Any suggestions?

Randy

high standard 40
03-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Probably not. It's not the low velocity causing it to impact low. It's a factor of the weight of the projectile. In a handgun, at the moment of ignition, as soon as the bullet starts to move, the barrel starts to rise in recoil causing the bullet to strike higher. The wax is so light, the barrel will not rise nearly as much, thus the lower impact.

RU shooter
03-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Maybe try moving back some more? I shoot wax boolits in my Makarov at 7 paces(20 ft give or take and they hit to the sights.

Tim

ghh3rd
03-21-2009, 08:28 PM
The are all of the way back - perhaps I'll try loading them flush with the edge of the case and see what happens. Perhaps one problem is that the barrel is only 1 7/8" long. If nothing else works, we can still use some "verticle 'kentucky windage'" :???:
Randy

Hipshot
03-22-2009, 07:32 PM
ghh,
Try putting up two bullseyes, one for point of aim and one 5-6" lower for point of impact ! That will probably keep your son happy ! I used to do the same thing with the wax bullets----drill a 1/8" hole in the brass flash hole, I didn't push the wax bullet to the bottom of the case, no need to ! What I did though was when cookie cutting the wax bullet I held the case with a shell holder, this allowed the trapped air to escape which made the cookie cutting part much easier!

Hip

jdgabbard
03-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Just out of curiosity, how load are those wax boolit loads?

ghh3rd
03-22-2009, 11:56 PM
jdgabbard - they are very quiet. I though they would be loud because the loads with just a primer were very loud. Once I loaded wax bullets into the case, they sounded like a pellet rifle, if even that loud. I was outside in the back yard with neighbors on both sides and behind me 50' away, and was comfortable that they wouldn't know what I was up to.

Randy

jdgabbard
03-23-2009, 01:40 AM
Comfortable enough to shoot inside the apartment at a back stop?