PDA

View Full Version : Lube seeping around bevel base

Slinger
03-21-2009, 12:43 PM
I thought I saw a solution to lube around the bevel base when sizing/lubing 45 acp 200 gr SWC BB boolits. I tried a thin slice of cork in the die, but it didn't work. Any ideas? I've got the depth adusted correctly. Years ago, when I cast we didn't have bevel base slugs. Using a Lyman 450.

sundog
03-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Slinger, try a gas check instead of the cork.

runfiverun
03-21-2009, 02:14 PM
a piece of the styrofoam from an egg carton or the meat containers is reputed to work also.
or take the b/b outta the mold.

Recluse
03-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Go buy you a nice, thick T-bone steak and save the styrofoam base it comes on. Grill the steak to perfection, but while your grill is heating up, wash off the styrofoam, then take a .45 brass shell casing and cut out a "wad" from the styrofoam. Place that on your plunger in the seating die and presto, takes care of the lube seepage.

Works like a charm for me, and I get a good steak out of the deal.

:coffee:

sleeper1428
03-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Find a friend who has a metal lathe or who has access to one. It's a pretty straight forward job to produce custom pushout pins for your BB boolits. I turn my own pushout pins for each BB bullet that I cast, cutting the face recess to match the BB contour. Toughest part is getting the pushout pin just the right diameter so that leakage around it when it's in the sizing die is minimal. Also important is to use as little pressure as possible when sizing and lubing. I almost routinely employ at least a two stroke method - one stroke down and up then turn the boolit about 90 degrees and then a second down and up stroke. Takes a bit more time but allows me to use minimal pressure on the lube reservoir while still getting well lubed boolits.

sleeper1428

Slinger
03-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks fellas!

Mavrick
03-22-2009, 03:19 PM
I took a Dremel tool and ground out the part of the mold that makes the bevel-base. I now have a flat-base boolit.
Have fun,
Gene

Bret4207
03-23-2009, 07:06 AM
Stay away from BB in the first place!

Char-Gar
03-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Amen Bret...AMEN! I have gotten rid of every BB mold I own.