PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever cast for the Walker?

docone31
03-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Since brass has gotten a little slow in acquireing, I am planning on bringing out my old Walker. I never fired it. I got it, put it away and there it sat.
Anyone ever cast for the Walker?
What size balls?
I think I remember .457.

mooman76
03-20-2009, 08:04 PM
I haven't shot mine yet but you are correct 457 is what they recommend.

docone31
03-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks, I am looking forward to makeing smoke.
My wife even likes it.

Glen
03-20-2009, 09:07 PM
I haven't cast for a Walker, but I have shot cast through a Walker, and boy what a hoot! You're going to enjoy that smoke-belching hogleg!

docone31
03-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Here is wondering.
Lee makes Conicals for the Ruger Old Army. .456, the Walker calls for .457.
Would there be an advantage over the time tested round ball with this mold?
With things like they are, getting a mold is less expensive than getting swaged balls.
Has anyone used the Conical in the Walker?

KCSO
03-20-2009, 10:08 PM
The round ball from pure lead over 50 grains of FFfg is a real whomper. We used this load to demonstrate the power of the old guns. We would fix a jug of water to our backstop and I would shoot it from 20 yards and get drenched every time. We used this to close our summer demonstrations as the flying water was like being at a Gallager show. Well my partner decied to liven it up a little by puttng red food dye in the jug one day. I now have a set of PINK buckskins! It NEVER came out and I look like *** 'o the mountains if I wear them! We got paid $100 each for that demo and the buckskins were hand tanned deer hides.

Oh and the Navy Arms Walker shot best with 457 balls. With bullets I used the Lee 456 200 grainers and could get a full 40 grans under them.

docone31
03-20-2009, 10:25 PM
40gns would work for me.
Is that the Lee Conical 456 220 1R?
I am planning on calling Lee for the 457 round ball mold. Everyone else is out of them.
Pink Buckskins!
Man, that sucks. I do not even have a snip comment for that one.
Sorry that happened to you.
Many years ago, I went to re enactments. I learned a great deal there. My third ex wife and myself got to taste some real good cookin. Sat on hay bales, Dutch Oven chicken, grits, hardtack. She was positively impressed. Nothin cooks like a good wood fire.

AZ-Stew
03-21-2009, 02:32 AM
Wear the buckskins again, but this time fill the jugs with green dye. Red + green = brown. Or you could do it in the sink. But that would take all the fun out of it.

Regards,

Stew

Ricochet
03-25-2009, 07:02 AM
Mine has (IIRC) .442" chambers and .448" grooves. Not good. I've got a .448" reamer I intend to apply to the chambers, but have yet to get a round tuit.

StrawHat
03-25-2009, 10:21 AM
I've had good luck with the 457 round ball and a full charge of powder. Smoke, boom and good groups.

I have also used the Lyman Collar Button boolit with good results. I have the group buy CB mold but have not used it in the Walker yet.

I also used the Lee 45 HP conical bullet with okay results but that mold has been out of circulation for quite a while.