PDA

View Full Version : sizing question...again

sjm
03-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Hello all,
I've given the dimensions of both my cylinder throats (.451+), and my groove diameter (.4510), and have been advised to size to .452.

Does that mean that my molds will have to be .454 (I'm taking into account the shrinkage that occurs when using a mix somewhere between WW and #2 alloy).

Anyone have some thoughts concerning the RCBS SSA mold that I believe drops boolits weighing somewhere around 270gr. ? I'm looking for a hunting load for the 45Colt that consists of the heavier boolits without GC's. Maybe a Keith style 255+.

Any actual hunting/boolit performance info would be very appreciated.

Thank you, Scott

mooman76
03-20-2009, 08:08 PM
A 454 will work but you won't 452 may work depending on the mould. Some will drop even WWs at that and some moulds tend to drop a little large but if you want to ply it safe get the 454.

Slow Elk 45/70
03-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Hullo SJM, I use the RCBS mold you ask about , 270gr boolit. I use WW water quenched and shoot them in my pistols and carbine 45colt & 454 casull. I will just say that I would size them if they were Over .454 for a .451 grove'mine are used as cast. Good accuracy so no reason to size, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If I had the mold, I would try a few unsized at reasonable velocity and go from there, we are talking about .003+-, most say that .002 over size is what they strive for. I have molds that drop .001-.003 oversize and one's that drop closer to the advertised size. I modify them to be .002-3 oversize for the gun they will be used in, works for me.

The RCBS boolit is a good one,IMHO. The size will probably vary with the alloy you use. The best thing about a mold that drops undersize, is you can lap it out to whatever you want.

As I stated, this represents my findings and my opinon.
Have fun and keep on casting.

Heavy lead
03-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Of all the moulds and cartridge combos I have my hands down favorite and last out the door would be the RCBS270SAA in 45Colt in a Ruger. My all around load I always have loaded up and hunt deer with (I'm sure it would kill the heck out of elk too) is that boolit cast 50/50 pure/ww air cooled lubed with Lars BAC over 10 grains of Unique and a Federal 150. My mould casts at 454 all day long, and usually size to 453 (all my Rugers except one have had undersize throats and I've reamed to .4525, the other is right at .455, and this one shoots them ok too as they are soft enough to obturate).
Also I like this boolit in my 50 caliber encore in a sabot for deer. It'll shoot clean through these MI whitetail.
FYI my boolits with this combo weigh in at 287 grains lubed. They also run fine in my 94 Winchester 45 Colt too.