PDA

View Full Version : Punch & Sizing Die relationship

crazyjz
03-20-2009, 12:01 PM
I have a newby question. I have several molds for my 45-70. One drops .460 and one drops .461 unsized bullets. I have one .460 sizing die and one .459 top punch. I want to use my RCBS lube a matic to lube but not size either bullet, both styles of bullet have flat noses and my punch is a flat nose. (I guess I can use this punch on both the .460 &. 461 dies w/o issue right?)

I plan on buying another sizing die and opening it up. The largest I can find commercially available is .459. (Buckshot is taking some well deserved time off from his die making business and I don't want to wait.)

When I purchase the .459 should I try to go for two thousandths and bring it up to .461 or should I play it safe and open it to .460 and open the one .460 die I already own to .461?

One other note, I have not tried opening up a sizing die before but I have read every post here that deals with the issue.

dromia
03-20-2009, 05:47 PM
If Buckshot cannot make you one then Buffalo Arms have them, but not at Buckshot prices.

I have one of their specials in .460" and the quality is good.

Link is here:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm?viewfrom=73&catid=72&step=2

Buckshot
03-21-2009, 03:37 AM
...............I have both a .460" and .461" in stock :-) I'm just not MAKING any new ones for a couple weeks.

If you're going to open one I'd caution going much more then a thousandth or you'll have to become intimately familiar with how much pressure to put on the lube reservoir ratchet, or you may find lube in your lap.

............Buckshot

crazyjz
03-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Tks buckshot. I'll take the .461. I sent you a PM for payment instructions.

JZ

Hipshot
03-21-2009, 07:37 PM
crazyjz,
Are you talking about sizing dies OR sizing dies and top punches? One sizes the bullet (sizing die) and one pushes the bullet into the sizing die (top punch). Both have numbers-------------the sizing die # is bullet diameter and the top punch # is a reference number.

Hip