PDA

View Full Version : Lead galore....

Texasflyboy
02-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Just had to share this. The company I work for deals in many different technologies. Mainly Research & Development.

I am on my third visit to one of the field labs this week and today, while wandering around in the back parking lot, I discovered a pallet of lead bricks. "Oh cool" I thought, they use lead for xxxxxxxx (unkown project). So I keep walking. I see more pallets. I round the corner and....pallet after pallet after pallet.

All in all, I counted about 130 pallets with about 20-30 lead bricks, about the same size (maybe a little larger) as a house brick. Enough pure lead to keep me in bullets for several lifetimes.

I came back into the office and one of the big-wigs saw me walking down the hallway grinning from ear to ear. "Boy, you're sure in a good mood" he said.

"Yep, I sure am. Can I talk to you for a minute?".

LOL....

God I love this company....

beagle
02-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Reminds me of the visit I made to the Bell Helicopter plant down in Hurst, TX back in the early 70s.

In the back lot were huge lead forms for stamping "hydraform" parts for the old UH-1 series of helicopter.

These were about 2 feet high and as wide/long as needed for the part.

Talk about some bullets....../beagle

Roudy
02-08-2006, 01:39 AM
This sounds like the Irishman drowning in a sea of beer. He had to get back in the boat several times to empty his bladder! :lovebooli

Lee
02-08-2006, 01:42 AM
Ummmmm, I'd like to be first in line to assist with the disposal of that nasty environmental contaminant. Heck, I'll even pay shipping. How much per brick.............Lee ;-)

Pepe Ray
02-08-2006, 02:06 AM
Soooo?
Did you talk to him? Have you got a lock on some Pb. bricks? We like to hear of someones GOOD fortune. Heard enough BAD crap to last a life time.
Pepe Ray

Frank46
02-08-2006, 02:20 AM
We used to go into the dumping area where the splicers used to clean out their trucks. Cable sheathing and remains of the bars of 40-60 solder that was used to the splicing joints. A lot of the cable sheathing was made into fishing sinkers (yeah I know it was sacreligious) and piles of 500 gr 45 rifle boolits for my trapdoor. The solder pieces i still have a few. I weigh a piece and then can figgure out what the tin-lead weights are and use it. We made sinkers by the gallon can. And I made boolits by the cigar box. Then they closed down the dump and bulldozed it. Was fun while it lasted. Frank

357maximum
02-09-2006, 06:22 PM
A hunting buddy of mines ol man worked in a large auto plant, and he brought home some slabs of hard@$$ lead. they were about 8 inches thick and roughly 3X5 feet square, he said they came out of a fork truck (counterweight). We used a rosebud torch on this stuff the whole time we were kids. We melted into angle iron ingots then made it into fishing sinkers.

Awhile back I was over to his parents and they were still there, one whole one and 3/4's of another.

Negotiations are under way...