PDA

View Full Version : lead thermometer

twally
03-20-2009, 06:27 AM
What type of store or supply house would sell a high temp. lead thermometer? There must be a place to get one localy, I just don't want to wait for shipping.
Thank's Todd

montana_charlie
03-20-2009, 11:10 AM
You might check with a plumbing shop, or a welding supply...if local gun stores don't carry them for bullet casters.
CM

ghh3rd
03-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Where I live here in FL there's a reloading store with tons of stuff. Look in the Yellow Pages for reloading - maybe you'll luck out and have one nearby.

Randy

mooman76
03-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Give it a shot without while your waiting. I don't use one.

Poygan
03-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Concur with Mooman - I had one and found I didn't use it. I cast for years without one. For me, it was a solution looking for a problem.

AZ-Stew
03-21-2009, 02:26 AM
Harbor Freight used to sell a digital thermometer that used a thermocouple (look it up) to measure from ? (low temp) to 2,000 degrees F. I have one of them. It cost a whopping $26, or close to it. It wasn't available through the web site, only in the stores. I've been using it for everal years and I'm VERY happy with it. They also have some non-contact digitals, but I don't know whether they'll cover the range we need. You have to float a dull-textured piece of steel in the pot becuse the thermometers won't work from a shiny surface, such as the top of the melt in a casting pot.

Regards,

Stew

454PB
03-21-2009, 02:57 PM
I have to agree, I cast for 35 years before I bought a lead thermometer. It's fun to play with, but in the long run only confirmed what I already knew from years of experience. Mine is seldom used now.