PDA

View Full Version : The god of Smelting...

Old Ironsights
03-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Through research, I understand that Vulcan is the god of Forging, but deeper research and eldrich wizardy has led me to realize that the god of Smelting is, in fact Cthulu.

I came to this realization after a smelting session when, totally unbidden, I found an Idol of/to Cthulu under my smelting pot...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/IMG_5875.jpg

While this disturbed me greatly, as the necronomicon had convinced me that Cthulu and the rest of the Elder gods were, in fact, evil, my discovery led me to the devine benefits of Angle Iron Ingots....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/IMG_5873.jpg

Using my 2# angle iron ingots, I will be able to stack over 1000# in the same space as 800# of Lyman Ingots...

So... be aware that Cthulu is watching you as you smelt... and remember to sacrifice a Statist/criminal to him whenever you get the chance... :twisted:

kendall yates
03-19-2009, 08:42 PM
If my shelf was half as clean as yours, my wife would think something was wrong with me. lol

Old Ironsights
03-19-2009, 08:58 PM
RE: 2# ingots

I had a local Fabrication guy cut me 5 sections of 1.5" angle iron 5 & 7/8" long each... then weld them together to a pair of angle iron legs.

I get roughly 2# per ingot, (on the average 2 1/12# ww).

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/IMG_5876.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/IMG_5877.jpg

Old Ironsights
03-19-2009, 09:28 PM
If my shelf was half as clean as yours, my wife would think something was wrong with me. lol
You don't know the half of it...

See all those shiny pb lyman ingots? I recently re-cast ALL of those (that's why they are shiny) because the previous pile wouldn't stack neatly. (I didn't have a level surface and my ingots were all slanted...)

Yes, I have OCD issues... :roll:

Daves1
03-19-2009, 09:37 PM
I made almost the same ingot molds and got the same results, except I haven't learned the art of pouring yet. I always seem to overflow the edges and get wings.

Old Ironsights
03-19-2009, 09:48 PM
More heat and clean alloy. It gives you more time to pour. before it solidifies.

I use a 6# pot Lyman Lead Pot with about 5# of alloy in it at about 750-800deg and pour 2 ingots at a go.

Keep your pot in the floating on the melt to keep it hot and it should go pretty smoothly.

I have to quench my ingot mould about every 4 castings (40#) to keep the set-up time down, but that's no biggie. I like taking my time.

anachronism
03-19-2009, 09:50 PM
You don't know the half of it...

See all those shiny pb lyman ingots? I recently re-cast ALL of those (that's why they are shiny) because the previous pile wouldn't stack neatly. (I didn't have a level surface and my ingots were all slanted...)

Yes, I have OCD issues... :roll:

Geeez....

HandgunHTR
03-19-2009, 10:19 PM
That is pretty awesome. Much better than my muffin tin ingots poured into empty kitty litter buckets. :)

I may have to make one of those. I haven't welded in a while.

kir_kenix
03-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Thats a good idea for ingot molds. I'm gonna have to make myself one of those. They do stack up very nicely, much nicer then my Lee ingots.

Ole
03-19-2009, 11:41 PM
I stack 3 layers of 11 2+lb muffin pan ingots as neatly as I can in a 5 gallon bucket. That's roughly 70#'s per bucket. Then I just stack a new bucket on top and continue the tower. You can stack a decent amount of lead in a relatively small area. While the stack of buckets might be almost 600#'s, I can still move the individual buckets. :mrgreen:

I get the buckets for free from work from the swimming pool maintenance guys.

Badgerloader
03-20-2009, 10:10 AM
"So... be aware that Cthulu is watching you as you smelt... and remember to sacrifice a Statist/criminal to him whenever you get the chance..." If we don't have a Statist/criminal handy, I think a politician would be acceptable.

targetshootr
03-20-2009, 10:51 AM
My ProMelt has also started to leave offerings to one of those guys.

Off topic, I'm thinking of having someone make half-round ingot molds about 9 inches long x 3" wide. Unless someone sells them. Then I could stick one in my pot and 20 minutes later be good to go.

Mtman314
03-20-2009, 10:43 PM
If we don't have a Statist/criminal handy, I think a politician would be acceptable.

Is there really much of a difference at all, in this day and age?[smilie=1:

I stack 3 layers of 11 2+lb muffin pan ingots as neatly as I can in a 5 gallon bucket. That's roughly 70#'s per bucket. Then I just stack a new bucket on top and continue the tower. You can stack a decent amount of lead in a relatively small area. While the stack of buckets might be almost 600#'s, I can still move the individual buckets. :mrgreen:

I get the buckets for free from work from the swimming pool maintenance guys.

My 4 year old would want to climb up it and I'd get killed. LOL