PDA

View Full Version : Mailing primed brass

hoss-noogy
03-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Gentlemen,

What is the law on mailing primed brass? I ask the lady behind the counter at the local post office and she could not awnser

Thanks

hoss-noogy
03-19-2009, 09:43 PM
nevermind,same question in sellig and swapin

Johnch
03-19-2009, 09:44 PM
It is OK to mail
As I get primed shotgun hulls and primed brass sent to me all the time from 2 places

It is best to pad the brass so it dosn't rattle to much
As the loonies at the post office sometimes get all bent out of shape when a box makes noise

John

azrednek
03-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Unless the regulations have changed, primers and all solid propellants are prohibited not only by the Post Office but also by FAA regulations. The FAA has the authority because the Post Office uses commercial passenger airlines to move Airmail. The US Post Office and the FAA have the legal authority to open and search packages. The privacy statues that protect your hand written letter do not apply to parcels.

There is/was an exception to the rule for solid propellants but best I recall it involved a great deal of red tape assuring the parcel was sent via truck or rail. Priority Mail, do not push your luck. The USPS and FAA uses dogs to locate explosives drugs etc. As far as I'm concerned you're shooting dice putting primers in the US Mail.

In a nutshell, plenty of ammo, primers and even firearms have traveled through the US Mail. If one got caught shipping a small amount of primed brass. The likelihood of being prosecuted and serving time might be slim. Just be prepared to spend thousands lining the pocket of a defense lawyer and hope the prosecutor is not an anti.

Gerry N.
03-19-2009, 11:58 PM
Gentlemen,

What is the law on mailing primed brass? I ask the lady behind the counter at the local post office and she could not awnser

Thanks

Take a lesson. The counter staff of the US Postal Service tend to have less than average intelligence. They have a copy of postal regulations at hand and will neither read nor understand them. Many of the staff make up their own regulations on the fly, then enforce them.

Ship your brass UPS, they have at least a foggy notion of their own regulations and requirements.

Gerry N.

MT Gianni
03-20-2009, 11:22 AM
I have ordered primers from mailorder and been charged haz-mat fees. I have not been charged haz-mat fees when I ordered primed brass.

RU shooter
03-20-2009, 04:40 PM
I have ordered primers from mailorder and been charged haz-mat fees. I have not been charged haz-mat fees when I ordered primed brass. This is the same story with me a few times I have bought primed brass ,For whatever reason they treat it/class it or whatever you call it, in a brass casing differently than a cardboard container?

Tim

azrednek
03-22-2009, 03:27 AM
Take a lesson. The counter staff of the US Postal Service tend to have less than average intelligence. They have a copy of postal regulations at hand and will neither read nor understand them.

Gerry N.

You're incorrect on both counts. To pass the USPS civil service exam requires a higher than average IQ. More than 60% of applicants fail the exam and of those that pass the exam only the top 20% are usually selected for hiring.

The federal regulations pertaining to primers or other solid propellants in interstate commerce are not found in USPS regulations and despite your claim are not available at most US Post Offices. The USPS is required to comply with ATF, DOT and FAA regulations regarding the shipment of ammunition and solid propellants such as smokeless powder and primers.

Primed brass sounds like a gray area and it is most likely regulated by the US Dept of Transportation, the agency responsible for UPS's Haz-Mat fees.

supv26
03-22-2009, 09:36 AM
341.21 Nonmailable Explosives
Nonmailable explosives found in the mailstream must be immediately reported in accordance with POM 139.117.

Nonmailable explosives include, but are not limited to, the following:

Common Fireworks. Fireworks are classified as Division 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 explosives depending on the degree of hazard. Fireworks include roman candles, skyrockets, helicopter–type rockets, cylindrical and cone fountains, pyrotechnic wheels, illuminating torches, firecrackers, salutes, and combinations of items that are designed to produce any of the aforementioned types of effects. All types of fireworks are prohibited from mailing.
Fuses. Fuses are classified as Division 1.3 or 1.4 explosives depending on the degree of hazard. All types of fuses (except safety fuses as permitted under 341.22) are prohibited from mailing.
Small Arms Ammunition. Ammunition is classified as a Division 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 explosive, depending on the degree of hazard. Ammunition that is regulated as a Class 1 explosive and designed to be fired from a pistol, revolver, rifle, or shotgun, as well as associated primers and blank cartridges (including those designed for tools) and propellant powder for use in any firearm, is prohibited from mailing.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/pub52/pub52c3_016.htm#ep898624

223tenx
03-22-2009, 01:22 PM
I called the customer service toll free number for USPS on Friday and was told as long as it wasn't LOADED ammo it's ok. I then asked is she had a definition for LOADED ammo and she refered me to my local PO which I didn't bother to call because I've dealt with them before and had to point out their own regs to them. So, I'm at a loss.

supv26
03-22-2009, 01:43 PM
See my post above. According to the USPS website you cannot ship primers in any manner, loaded ammo or not. A primer is a primer.

Now as for shipping them USPS, I guess there are a lot of individuals that do it. When the post ofice clerk asks you "is this item liquid, fragile or potentially hazardous" I bet they are referring to the paragraph I posted above. Personally I would not do it as it would not be worth the trouble if something should happen.

All post offices are going to have their own "in house" rules as with any other business or office and I am sure each clerk is going to have their own interpretation of the rules.

:neutral:

shooterg
03-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Stick with UPS instead of sticking your neck out !