PDA

View Full Version : Heading South

Boondocker
03-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Ok fellas going to take the misses and her sister to Ocala Fla for 10 days is there any gunshops or places of interest there to visit. I allready have a few BP shops lined up. We are squating at the nephews place and while they are doing wimmen stuff I want to explore some. Thanks Steve:-D

putteral
03-19-2009, 06:49 PM
There is a Gander Mountain, Ocala Armory is good too. Also the weather is fantastic now. Enjoy
:drinks:

waksupi
03-19-2009, 06:55 PM
See if Six Gun Territory is still open. I worked there for awhile in the seventies.

jsizemore
03-19-2009, 07:37 PM
You might ask around and see if Harry Beckwith's shop is still around. It's north on 441 just before you get to Micanopy and Payne's Prarie and Gainesville. I googled his name and his shop and gun range is still open. Ask somebody there to tell you about Harry. Better then rattlesnake hunting and gator ropin'. Way better then Silver Springs.

Rooster
03-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Boondocker-Ocala Armory is worth a look see. Jerry's Pawn Shop was pretty big but I have not been there in a long time and their prices were not the greatest then. They may even be closed at this point in time, I'd look them up in the phone book. There will be a little gun show in Newberry (about 45 minutes North just west of Gainesville) March 28-29. I would recommend Picketts Weaponry if you do go to Newberry. For a small town shop they are top notch. I think there is even a small show in Jax the beginning of April at the Shrine Hall.

Wahsupi-Man, Six Gun Territory! When I was kid, about 8 or 10, my folks took me there. I strapped on my cap guns, pulled up my boots and donned my white cowboy hat. We took the "train" ride in, had a big hold up, drank a tall cold Sasparilla at the Can-Can, Bank holdup with in the street shootout, guys falling of roofs, I even shot one of the bad guys! Rode a stage coach--what a hoot that was, thanks for the memory refresher from the way back machine. But all good things must end and I believe there is a mall there now.

jsizemore-Harry died a couple of years back and Picketts Weaponry took over the operation a while back. Harry was quite the character! Once a carload of yutes tried to do a smash and grab through the front window/concrete wall of the shop. I guess they didn't do their homework too well as Harry lived next door and came out with "Tommy" and showed them the errors of their way. I can see it in my mind now. SMASH!!! Yo blud, get the Glock fotay's! Wassat cracker in the funny robe gots in hiz hands? Rat-a-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat!!!! HOLEE-SHEET!

Too Classic. One of the many adventures this man had. He also had quite the impressive collection of Lugers too. I don't know what happened to them though after Harry passed away. I hope they went to some good homes.