PDA

View Full Version : Newbie about to start casting for 45-70

BowHunter252
03-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Hey everyone, I have never casted before but have reloaded for many years. I just bought a Handi rifle if 45-70 and a Lee 500 gr mold. I have never used or even handled a bullet mold before, but I must say that I am not too impressed with the Lee mold. There is a good sized burr around the edge of the bullet and I can see daylight when looking through the mold. The burr I can remove, but will the gap be a problem? Is this common?

I would like to load some reduced loads. Say 1000 fps at the most, maybe 700fps or so? Any recomendations on a good powder for this? I was looking at the Hodgdon site and they list Trail Boss at 8.0 gr starting load for a 485 gr boolit:-D for 700fps. Would this be a good powder and charge to start with?

Also, I scrounged for lead at the range for about 30 minutes the other day and picked up 11 pounds of mostly jacketed bullets. I figure I might get 10 pounds of lead. I hear this type of lead might be "soft" lead. Do you think it will work fine for my purpose? I rinsed them off pretty good, but will the dirt that is left float to the top when the lead is melted?

I plan on trying to find an old cast iron pot or something and just using a propane stove to do the melting. If I can't find something cast iron to use, will a stainless steel pot work?

Thanks in advance for all the replies!

JSnover
03-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Check the Lee-menting threads, you'll get schooled on how to treat a new mold if it's giving you trouble. If the gap isn't filling with lead (finning the boolits) you're probably ok. Look for a thread about "beagling" molds, too. I don't have any that won't close, can't help with a fix on that but it may not be a huge problem.

jack19512
03-19-2009, 05:46 PM
If it is something wrong with the mold that you feel you cannot correct then I would send it back. There should not be a good sized burr if the mold is right.

I like 4198 powder for the 45/70 myself.

Don't worry about the dirt, you can easily skim it off when you smelt the lead.

A stainless steel pot will work fine. That is what I use.

leadeye
03-19-2009, 06:38 PM
There are a fair amount of 400-500 grain molds in my stable and I find they all respond best with lots of heat. I cast from a Lee bottom pour and get good results as long as both the mold and lead stay on the hot side.:-D

WHITETAIL
03-19-2009, 08:25 PM
BowHunter, Welcome to the forum!:drinks:

WHITETAIL
03-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Welcome to making your own.
First off it is a good idea in searching the bord.
:castmine:

WHITETAIL
03-19-2009, 08:28 PM
The best I can say is melt what you have and skim off what is floating.:redneck:

Wayne Smith
03-19-2009, 09:47 PM
Powder for the 45-70? The original, of course, the Holy Black! Of course, it may give you too much velocity.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. Stay with us and ask questions continually; you'll always be answered. Casting for 45-70 involves big bullets and 500 grainers are about/almost as big as one can go. First of all Lee aluminum block molds need more heat than those made of other metal. Aluminum sheds heat rapidly and molds have to be kept hotter. A 500 grain mold is a big mold and it takes a lot of melt to fill it. In an aluminum mold of that size that is dumping heat faster than usual, it is also possible that the nose of the bullet is "setting up" before the base section does. Regardless of what the blocks are made of, long bullets have to be fed more metal at the sprue hole because bullets shrink when cooling and to avoid voids or holes forming under the base, you have to keep feeding the sprue puddle on top of the cutter to insure that additional metal is there to feed the shrinking that is going on in the base. Sometimes this results in sloppy, weird shaped sprues, but they're going to be put back in the pot anyway....and you don't want bullets that look good on the outside, but have voids/cavities hidden inside that are off-center and make for weight variations---both defects that will cause poor(er) grouping.
You will have problems with a mold that has burrs or other defects that interfere with the production of good bullets. A minimal amount of light in the form of a faint line is admissable in a mold, but none at all is better or best. A gap will cause a raised seam on the finished bullet and interferes with the "roundness'. If you have a mold that starts out with these problems...send it back to Lee and have them exchange it for one that is as good as the money that you paid for it.
On velocity/reduced loads in the 45-70; traditional speed with 400-500 grain bullets have been usually in the 1100-1200 fps.( Above that speed especially with 500 grainers, you won't like the recoil. You might, but that's your call.) This is possible with many different powders and recommendations/combinations are listed in all of the loading manuals in print by the various companies. The most economical of those I know of is the one by Lee; It is a good manual and goes for about $13. at Midsouth shooters supply.
Salvaging range lead is ok and yes it tends to be soft if it is from jacketed bullets. It has to be cleaned of jackets and dirt, but I'm not in favor of washing unless you make absolutely sure that everything is 1000% dry when finished. If you get any water into a molten lead situation you WILL have a dangerous explosion that is well known on this forum as "A visit from the tinsel fairy". A faceful of hot lead is definitely not fun! Stainless steel works well for a pot; also get a good dipper or ladle to clean the melt;it'll also fill your mold too. Good luck, enjoy casting. LLS

Westwindmike
03-19-2009, 11:07 PM
For a light weight rifle like you have, I would have got the Lee 340 gr mold. Good shooter and won't kick you as much as the big 500's. I like Accurate 5744 for the 45-70.
Good luck with yours.
Mike

BowHunter252
03-20-2009, 01:28 AM
Thanks for all the replies! The gap got much smaller after I opened and closed the mold several times, I guess there was metal shavings or a burr somewhere that wore down. I can just barely see any light shining through now. I think it will work fine.

I know I could have gone with a lighter weight bullet for less recoil but I just like the idea of a BIG bullet. I tried searching for 500gr reduced loads on here but didn't find anything.

Hopefully I will get to try casting some tomorrow or Saturday:drinks:

Now all I need is some 45-70 brass and powder:roll:

Wayne Smith
03-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Almost any manual will have Trapdoor rated loads for the 45-70. That is where you want to start with that big boolit. I have shot the 457125 out of a Trapdoor with 70gr Goex FFG behind it and it hurt! Go with the beginning listed loads and listen to your shoulder!