PDA

View Full Version : What parts of plumbing scrap is lead?

sheepdog
03-19-2009, 12:17 PM
I got a friend of a friend that might be willing to give me lead from his plumbing work in older neighborhoods. I know some pipes are lead, as well as their plumbers solder. But also heard some other parts like drains and the like are as well. I'd like to have as much info as possible so I get him to save what I really need.

Cherokee
03-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Have him save anything that has lead in it.

giz189
03-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Yep, save it all, melt it down away from the house and don't throw the stuff that floats in the yard

runfiverun
03-19-2009, 03:06 PM
get it all and you can figure out what it is as you go along.
most of what he gets you will be pure lead or pure with some antimony in it.
the joints will usually be done with tin solder. you will have to learn to mix and match.
and get a hardness tester.

fj3fury
03-19-2009, 03:14 PM
In plumbing, lead flashings were used for vent pipes. Pure lead was poured in bell ends on cast iron drain pipes to secure them together. 50/50 solder was used on copper water lines, but that isn't enough to salvage. old lead pipes would be a major score.

MT Gianni
03-19-2009, 07:07 PM
In plumbing, lead flashings were used for vent pipes. Pure lead was poured in bell ends on cast iron drain pipes to secure them together. 50/50 solder was used on copper water lines, but that isn't enough to salvage. old lead pipes would be a major score.

Add shower pans to that as well as lead traps in old drain lines.

HandgunHTR
03-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Add shower pans to that as well as lead traps in old drain lines.

Yep.

Tell him to give you everything that is heavy and you should get some good stuff. Anything you can't use you can take to the scrap yard and get some $$ to grease the palms of the tire technicians. [smilie=1: