PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang has passed

BPCR Bill
03-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Just read in The Black Powder Cartridge News of the passing of Wolfgang Droege, founder and former owner of Shiloh Sharps. I probably would not be casting boolits if I hadn't gotten my hands on one of his lovely rifles over 20 years ago. Rest in Peace.

swheeler
03-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Sad news indead, he will be missed by many.

kodiak1
03-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Sorry to hear of his passing.
Ken.

Marine Sgt 2111
03-25-2009, 10:59 PM
After having some bad dealings with a certain wholesaler while wanting to buy a shilo, I finally called shilo and had the pleasure of dealing with Wolfgang while ordering my rifle. Being a Sgt in the Marine Corps in 1982, money was tight. He personally picked out the wood for my rifle (beautiful does it no justice) and recommended a 34" bbl. Two months later I got the rifle and yet another phone conversation he told me how to apply tung oil to further bring out the grain in the wood. He was great and gave the purchase his own personal touch.

I got the chance to meet him at the 1982 Phoenix NRA gun show. He asked me how I liked my new rifle and of course I was very pleased with it. We talked about rifling, land a groove ratio's, calibers, paper patch bullets verses lube grooved bullets, alloy's and so much more. He was courtious, polite and every bit a fine gentleman.

I am greatly saddened to hear of his passing as he left me with such a positive impression of what a "good ambassador" for the shooting faternity should be. Though we shall miss him here, now he can once again can go shooting with his son, who he loved dearly.

Good shooting to you Wolfgang on heaven's bright windless range....