PDA

View Full Version : Lead Removal from Molds

marlin55
02-06-2006, 11:57 PM
I have 2 molds that have a very thin layer of lead on it. Both are cast iron molds. The lead deposit is less than a 0.001 thick and is mainly in the venting cuts and aroundthe ball-halfs that align the 2 halves. I tried heating with a torch and scraping with a piece of thin wood but to no avail. can someone help? Thanks

crazy mark
02-07-2006, 12:44 AM
I use a brass brush in a dremel tool. Use lightly and it shouldn't remove any metal from the mould, just the lead. Mark

Bullshop
02-07-2006, 02:32 AM
The best way I have found without damaging the mold. Set your pot at a fairely high temp and cast until the mold is up to full casting temp, enough to frost boolits good. Have ready a couple hard pencils with very sharp tips. When the mold is at full temp open, drop the boolit, take your pencil point and push out each peace. Each vent line should push out in one peace.
To clean blocks or sprue plate the same thing but push the pencil point with the tool marks in the metal not accross them. Again you should see each peace in each tool mark come out in one long sliver.
After you get it clean proper lubrication will prevent the problem. Bull Plate lube is what I recomend. It will prevent lead from sticking and will help clean off what ever may remain from your initial cleaning.
Good luck
BIC/BS

uncle guns
02-07-2006, 08:52 AM
I use this mix..... 50 - 50 white vin. and hydo. peroxide...... let set in mix no longer than 5 mins ( you can see the lead comming off ) I use this in guns that get lead build-up also.....

I got this info f/ a gunsmith and it does work but remember NO LONGER THAN 5 MINS. then wipe dry and oil your molds/gun

felix
02-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Use a hard water, not distilled, to rinse throughly the barrel after using this mix. This stops the reaction cold. Distilled water will NOT (on a microscopic basis). ... felix

shooter2
02-07-2006, 12:13 PM
I use a brass brush in a dremel tool. Use lightly and it shouldn't remove any metal from the mould, just the lead. Mark

I follow Mark on this one. I get the mould hot by casting, then use a brass bristled brush that welders use. Buy them by the three pack at your Home Depot or Lowes. Works for me. It greatly helps to prep the mould with moly. It's a one time job and makes cleaning a snap.

marlin55
02-08-2006, 02:04 AM
Thanks to ALL for your advice. I went this morning and got the brass brush for my Dremel. Works good. I will try the other methods too. Where do you get Bull Plate lube? Marlin

Bullshop
02-08-2006, 02:03 PM
marlin 55
Scroll to the bottom of this page to a link to my site.
BIC/BS

nighthunter
02-08-2006, 08:52 PM
I use a scotch brite pad when the mold is up to temp. Works for me and doesn't seem to harm the mold.
Nighthunter

quasi
02-14-2006, 10:13 PM
To remove lead from a cold mold, I use a "Clean Bore" lead removal cloth, it works great. I think Loyd Devore posted this somewhere, long ago. He seems to have dropped out of sight.