PDA

View Full Version : Diving weight mold

kendall yates
03-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Has anyone ever used a diving weight mold to make ingots with? They look like they would stack pretty well. Anyone know who sells a cheap mold?

docone31
03-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Weight molds are ok, but I am convinced the smaller ones like the muffin tins are easier to alloy with.

r6487
03-18-2009, 11:04 PM
my diving weight mold makes diving weights only because they won't fit into my production pot.

JIMinPHX
03-19-2009, 01:01 AM
I've seen guys at dive shops give old weight molds away. They don't seem very popular anymore like they were back in the 70's.

CSH
03-19-2009, 08:51 AM
I've been a SCUBA diver for over 20 years and when I first started the traditional style weights were all that were available. As noted earlier these have fallen out of favor to some extent due to the newer shot filled nylon bags, but if you travel abroad the dive services for the most part still use the older weights. My BIL has a 4 lb mold that I have used to cast my own set of weights. I think you would find it a little frustrating to use as an ingot mold. The solidified alloy doesn't just fall out of the mold due to the two posts in the center that form the void for belt slots. You have to encourage it by giving it a good whack on a piece of wood. A muffin tin works a lot better, or you can do what I've been doing lately, which is cut the top off of aluminum cans and use them as 8 lb molds (or less, if you cut the can closer to the bottom). When the alloy is solidified and cool I peel the aluminum off. These would be a bad idea for use in a 10 lb pot, but work great in the 20 lb versions.