PDA

View Full Version : Possible Winchester Update

StarMetal
02-06-2006, 10:08 PM
All, my friend out in Colorado works at a high tech machine shop and apparently Winchester was one of their customers to make parts for. Here's what he said in an email to me an hr ago (8:00 pm est):

I was talking to the boss at work this AM and he said they threw out hundreds of parts that were made for Winchester but wouldn't be completed by some deadline they had for receiving due to maybe Bankruptcy or something. He also said that they heard there may be a deal in the works for Marlin to buy them out?.

Joe

9.3X62AL
02-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Oh, nice......Micro Groove M-70's. I can't wait.

StarMetal
02-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Damn, this forum is funnier then Comedy Central. Good funny reply Al.

Joe

9.3X62AL
02-06-2006, 11:22 PM
The "Lola" reference.......right on point. Why the hell not have S&W build AR-15's? Colt hardly does so, and S&W doesn't make much in blue steel anymore! Next--the Win 86 take-down repros with crossbolt safeties and MG rifling, chambered in 40-82. Oh, gag.........

woody1
02-07-2006, 12:41 AM
The "Lola" reference.......right on point. Why the hell not have S&W build AR-15's? Colt hardly does so, and S&W doesn't make much in blue steel anymore! Next--the Win 86 take-down repros with crossbolt safeties and MG rifling, chambered in 40-82. Oh, gag.........

I kinda like the 40-82 part............?
On second thought.......make mine 38-56.

carpetman
02-07-2006, 01:24 AM
like the 40-82 part and on second thought make it 38-56. I'll take 38-24-36 or thereabouts.

9.3X62AL
02-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Oh, RIGHT C-man. Yer like a dog chasing an F-250.......even if ya caught it, ya couldn't drive it.

No objection to a 40-82 at all--but the MG rifling would be like taking spray paint to the Sistine Chapel.

tom barthel
02-17-2006, 04:21 PM
You never know. China is supplying some old winchester design shotguns for the CAS and SASS compititions. If the Chinese started producing model 94s, would you buy one? Chinese factories are owned or controled by their military. China needs money to modernize their military. It may sound silly but, it is possible.
Rossi makes copies of the old Winchester 73s and 92s. I may be tempted to buy a Rossi made model 94. The only Winchester I own is a model 54.

felix
02-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Brazil is a friendly country. They have my vote. ... felix

txpete
02-17-2006, 09:17 PM
I don't need a micro junk barrel on anything I own :) .
pete

Frank46
02-25-2006, 04:30 AM
As a lot of you know remington just did a deal with zastava to make a bunch of rifles for them. We'll call them remstavas in the future. I wonder if they will sell them under the remingtom brand name?. Guess it would be cheaper for big green to have someone else make their rifles. Frank

StarMetal
04-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Okay guys, it's official. My machinist friend called me from Colorado this evening and told me that all the Winchester machinery was indeed bought by Marlin and is in Marlins hands now. As to what their intentions are yet to be known.

Joe

454PB
04-06-2006, 12:12 AM
I've got one of the Puma model 92's and it's a well made rifle. My second vote would be Brazil.....I'd rather Marlin took it on.

gregg
04-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Joe

Thanks for the update. Very interesting. Did not sound like winchester had that
big of a shop on site. Must of farmed out alot of there work. I would guess that
even with Marlin owning the tooling I still not sure they would build the guns?
HAY WAIT?? With such a small shop and farming out the work how the UNION
make Winchester go broke?

Thanks Again Joe for the update

StarMetal
04-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Gregg,

According to my friend they make gunsparts for quite a few gun companies. Just to name a few: Winchester, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Thompson Contender, Savage...plus they cut arrow heads for someone and made parts for that Gerber pocket survival tool. This is in addition to other non gun related items.

Joe

gregg
04-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Joe thank you. That is interesting. I do hope Marlin does bring
Winchester back. We can all hope for the best.
Gregg

StarMetal
04-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Maybe Marlin might find out Winchester used a faster twist for their pistol round carbines and change their own.

You know, I really wonder why Marlin does have Micro-groove on alot of their rifles. Do they really think it's better or do they really cut cost with it then other rifling styles.

Joe

slughammer
04-07-2006, 08:00 PM
You know, I really wonder why Marlin does have Micro-groove on alot of their rifles. Do they really think it's better or do they really cut cost with it then other rifling styles.
Joe

Are you ready for a Micro-groove model 70? :killingpc

jh45gun
04-08-2006, 05:30 AM
Maybe Marlin wants to be THE lever gun company now and not make Winchesters at all? Buying out the tooling so no one else could make them? Nothing wrong with Marlins but I always prefered the Winchester for a lever gun. Just liked the looks better. As far as Marlin buying out the machinery I guess we will all find out sooner or later if it is true.

Jumptrap
04-08-2006, 10:17 AM
No need to buy the tooling unless you intend to make the product. marlin certainly didn't need the machine tools and, buying the fixtures Winchester had would not prevent some other company from reproducing the 94 or 70. Buying the jigs and fixtures just makes it easier to begin production again. Now, will marlin make the 94? I almost doubt it.....but never say, never. Marlin needs a bolt action center fire in their line up and god knows they've flunked before. I would surmise the Marlin Model 70 will soon be one your dealers shelves! Personally, I never liked the model 70 and will never miss it. But there are plenty out there that cream their jeans just holding one in their hands. What I want is the 9422 magnum back in regular production at less than the value of my gonads........yeah C-man, they're worth a lot to me:)!

6pt-sika
04-08-2006, 07:11 PM
All Marlin bought was the machinery . Its my understanding that FN Herstal still own all the rights to the 70 and 94 .

45 2.1
04-08-2006, 10:19 PM
All Marlin bought was the machinery . Its my understanding that FN Herstal still own all the rights to the 70 and 94 .

And I heard today that the new 94s and 70s were going to be made in Belgium.

StarMetal
04-08-2006, 11:47 PM
Where did you hear that Bob?

Joe

lovedogs
04-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Someone can buy all the Winchester stuff but they can't manufacture under the Winchester name until the time limit runs out for that company ( I forgot their name) who owns their manufacturing rights. If I remember correctly their right won't expire until '07. I suppose someone might be able to purchase that right from them though.

I hate the thought of buying anything made out-of-country but if we adhered to that practice we would be able to buy precious little. I've heard rumors that Ruger is the only firearms manufacturer that uses totally American stuff. All others use some parts or wood or something from overseas. And, if you think that's bad news, look at your car. Half of that junk under the hood is from overseas. If you want to buy American only you'd have to ride a horse.

StarMetal
04-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Well...actually horses were brought to North America by the Spanish...I reckon you could say one that is born here now is American made tho.

Joe

45 2.1
04-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Where did you hear that Bob?

Joe

Local dealer with very good nationwide connections.