PDA

View Full Version : Stainless vs Blued steel bbls. ??

Joe C
03-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Hi . looking for a little info.
I am looking into picking up a 24" bbl Rossi lever action in 45 LC and have a choice of Stainless or Blued.
Since this will be shot with only cast bullets , i was wondering which might be easier to clean any leading out of
My thinking ( which usually only gets me in trouble :???::???: ) is that any leading would not "stick" to the stainless as easily as it would to the steel bbl.

Please note that i have absolutely nothing to base this assumption on other than the fact that solder doesn't stick to stainless very well.........

On the other hand, it was brought up that a stainless bbl. might not be quite as
finely finished (stainless being tougher to machine as smoothly ) as a steel bbl.
which would lend to more leading than a smoother finished steel bbl.
I guess there would always be the option of lapping the bbl to polish it up a bit .

Any and all comments welcome .
thanks
Joe.

44man
03-18-2009, 09:04 AM
Will not make any difference. Pick what you like best.

felix
03-18-2009, 09:14 AM
44man is correct. You are correct in your analysis, but they are just many other variables in practice. ... felix

Tom Herman
03-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi 44Man,

Out here in the PNW, the weather is my main concern. I regularly wind up in very wet weather, and occasionally find myself slipping and staring up at the sky while the rest of me is laying in a very cold stream.
Stainless works wonders on not dissolving on me in this corrosive environment.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Old Ironsights
03-18-2009, 10:08 AM
I prefer stainless. Get it bead blasted and it will look like a well used/in the white gun.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/BBSS35792a.jpg

felix
03-18-2009, 10:25 AM
You need to got those sights bead blasted too. The stock is not black either. Just does not look like the gadget I am used to seeing. However, on a bench gun, anything goes because looks mean absolutely nothing on those rigs. ... felix

Old Ironsights
03-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Actually, if I could get a polymer stock set for my 92 I would. Much more water friendly and I spend a lot of my hunting time in a swamp up to my hips in water.

The reciever sight is aluminium and the buckhorn is not stainless. Besides, black sights work better.

GrizzLeeBear
03-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Stainless on a lever gun, eeewwww. :oops:

Might as well get one with a synthetic stock while your at it.:groner:

:mrgreen: :twisted: [smilie=1: [smilie=l:

Dan Cash
03-18-2009, 01:13 PM
What you guys want, rust, split wood..?

Old Ironsights
03-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Stainless on a lever gun, eeewwww. :oops:

Might as well get one with a synthetic stock while your at it.:groner:

:mrgreen: :twisted: [smilie=1: [smilie=l:

If you're talking Shiny, I agree. But I've had people mistake the Matte/Bead-blasted look of my 92 as just being "in the white".

Gee_Wizz01
03-18-2009, 08:36 PM
One advantage of having a stainless steel barrel is that if it becomes badly leaded, you can plug the chamber and fill it up with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and Hydrogen peroxide and the leading will dissolve. Back when I had access to a high magnification bore scope, I found that several of my stainless barrels were pretty rough inside. I think this is because many stainless steels don't machine as cleanly as other barrel steels. I do like the stainless M92 and I would go for it.

G

JIMinPHX
03-19-2009, 01:05 AM
There are certain cleaning chemicals you can use on stainless that will remove bluing. Lead Away cloth comes to my mind first.

44man
03-19-2009, 08:06 AM
I like stainless myself and all of my revolvers are stainless.
I was just considering the question of leading between them and now that I know about the conditions the gun will be used in, I too would buy stainless.
One hunting trip in heavy rain can rust bluing and swell wood stocks no matter what you put on the gun.