PDA

View Full Version : What's not to love about shooters who don't

Recluse
03-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Reload.

I LOVE shooters who don't reload. Love the Lord, love my dog, love my wife, love shooters who don't reload. Verily.

Get to the range today to try out my Black Lube (which is worthless, by the way) and what greets me laying right there all purty and welcoming on the benchtop but a pile of .41 magnum once-fired empty brass casings. How do I know they were once fired? Because the non-reloading shooter so kind to have left them also left the Remington box he'd plucked them from.

I don't cast for .41 Magnum. Don't reload for it either. Might be because I don't own a .41 Magnum, but it IS on my list as the next wheelgun I'll purchase.

I'm thinking to myself, "Self, this can't get much better." Oh but how I was wrong. I bend over to set my shooting bag on the ledge underneath the bench, and what do my eyes behold? Three boxes full of empty Winchester .357 Magnum brass.

I've got a grin on my face bigger than Obama's right after he passes gas or breaks another promise while on camera, and the shooters next to me note my happy demeanor and I explain why I am such a happy shooter. They ask, "So, you reload--do you reload .38 special or .45?"

"Why, does a polar bear like frozen seal popsicles?" I answer. These two gents hand me a heavy plastic bag with probably 500+ empties of .38 Special and .45 ACP--all once-fired. I thank them profusely and right before they leave, one feller comes up and says, "What about .380 ACP--do you load that one too?" I assured him that I did--and slicker than hocus pocus, he reaches in his shooting bag and gives me close to 150 Winchester .380 ACP empties from his wife's gun.

I finish doing my disasterous testing of the Black Lube, then head over to the rifle side of the range. I find five boxes of .308 empties in my stall area. This place doesn't mind if you scrounge brass anyway--he does a BOOMING business with reloaders. I finish shooting, do some scrounging and end up with a little over one hundred 7.62 x 39mm Winchester empties, probably three hundred .223's of mixed headstamp, another forty or more 30-06 and a couple dozen .270.

Hell, I'd been content to have just paid the range fees today and scrounged. How oh how do I love the non-reloading segment of our shooting society!

:coffee:

snaggdit
03-18-2009, 12:45 AM
Nice! Wish the guys at our range were so careless! Still, find 50 -200 runds of mixed brass every trip. Today, my buddy called to tell me he found 40 .223 cases in the boxes, a bunch of .40 (once fired, the cops must have had a qualification again) and some .45. I'm happy (to add to my lucky day, another post...), but you sound like you had a bumper crop day!

beanflip
03-18-2009, 12:46 AM
Score!!

jh45gun
03-18-2009, 12:48 AM
Our range they either pick up their brass or the range picks it up. The guys who work the range as safety officers used to sell the brass cheap until the club who runs the range decided to get their sticky fingers in it now they have locked boxes for brass disposal. The range guys still wind up with some brass to sell but not as much as they used to now the club sells it.

Bigjohn
03-18-2009, 01:01 AM
At my club; if it hits the ground and you don't pick it up, it belongs to the person who does!

I like it that way, but mind you I don't lose a lot of my own brass, either. [smilie=1:

John

JDFuchs
03-18-2009, 01:03 AM
:o Ive had good luck before, but dang! nice.

Echo
03-18-2009, 01:27 AM
The (county) range where I volunteer keeps the brass, and sells it to recyclers. I guess Pima County is strapped for funds, so when the recyclers were giving $1.90 for sorted brass, they made some money, which the range had some access to. Now that the recyclers have cut way back, I guess they aren't making so much, but I have been warned - no cherry-picking brass! Dang...

Crash_Corrigan
03-18-2009, 04:44 AM
I shoot at a private club that allow any LEO to come use the facilities. Metro {Vegas cops} get free ammo from the department and do not bother to pick up their brass. I have buckets of .40 S&W and .223. All once fired and brand new. If I bother I can also get the boxes it comes in by picking it out of the barrel.

I had a bonanza one day when a buncho Metro guys came with their .45's. I ended up about 7 gallons of brass as both of the emergency 5 gals buckets were more than 3/4 full and I hardly could carry one.

Now if I could only mine the berm for lead. The club has been here since 1959 and I do not believe that the berms have ever been mined for lead. After a good rain I gathered almost two buckets of it as it was easy to find and pick up.

The rain washes away the caliche soil and it stands out. Otherwise ya can't tell a boolit from a chunk of rock. It all looks the same.....drat!

I do love those BCPR shooters with those big 425 to 500 lead slugs.

EMC45
03-18-2009, 08:34 AM
We have a WMA range near me and there is a guy who picks up all the brass and sells it.:twisted: Not for the range nor for a club fee or anything, but for himself. He walks around with a pickup stick and will literally pick each piece up as it ejects from your gun. ANNOYING!!!! Used to be able to go there and get walmart bag loads of brass. Not anymore! He came sniffing around one day when I was shooting and I told him flat out that I reload and will keep all my brass. He left and went over to the rifle side. Like I said I used to be able to scrounge all kinds of rifle and pistol brass. A buddy said he went to the same range the other day and the old man wasn't there. Thank God. My buddy has a bag of brass waiting for me.