PDA

View Full Version : The dancing dot

44man
02-06-2006, 06:26 PM
I had a bunch of loads for my .44 that I wanted to shoot away because they were not to my specs. The wind was gusting to 35 mph all day. I waited until it dropped to the twenty's. I shot most at 25 yd steel plates but had five left. I tacked up a target at 100 yd's and shot the last five offhand. This was all I could do with the dancing dot.
Oh well, that would be five deer!

Dale53
02-06-2006, 06:44 PM
44Man;
Not bad at all! Who needs rifles to hunt deer? :razz:

Dale53

bisley45
02-06-2006, 07:28 PM
yep thats min-o-deer for sure not bad at all

BruceB
02-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Speaking of dots, I dropped in at our local Tru-Value Hardware the other day, and one of the "gun guys" showed me a BSA-made red-dot sight.

It has variable brightness and a selection of (I think) four different forms of "reticle", if that's what they're called. There's a tiny dot, an open circle, a crosshair with an open center, and some other sort which I didn't see. The sight has an open-form construction with a screen that folds up for the projection of the sighting element, like a Bushnell Holosight. It mounts on standard Weaver bases or a Picatinny rail mount. Weighs maybe six ounces or so.

Now, BSA has been a brand I avoid like the plague, their stuff being the very definition of "cheap". What kind of quality can you get in a 3-9x variable for thirty bucks, after all? However, I was impressed by the apparent quality of manufacture this thing displays, and for the money they want, I just might bite....only seventy bucks! I've never owned a red-dot type sight, but just for giggles....hmmmm.

Johnch
02-06-2006, 09:50 PM
PLEASE do not put a BSA Red dot on anything bigger than a 22.
The gunshop I go to has had problems ,even 357 mags are rattleing them so they will not hold zero or work at all .

Try a Millit , not sure how much they will mark it up but dealer cost is about $45 -$48

Johnch

44man
02-07-2006, 02:53 AM
I have torn up Millets on a .44 too. I called Bushnell about the reflex sight and they said it would not hold up on my .475. The only one to hold up so far is the Ultra Dot.

Frank46
02-07-2006, 03:28 AM
BruceB, I have a aimpoint comp M2 that came with a colt AR-15 Hbar. It was used to sweetin the deal. Never have used red dot sights. This one has the first two dots only visible to night vision and the rest (think there are 10 total) dots are in order of increasing brightness. Took it to the range one day to get a zero. With irons I can get 2" easily. This with the south african 5.56mm mil surp ammo. Just for kicks we set up some targets at 300yds, once we had it dialed in was very easy to keep all shots in the black. I'm no hi power shooter but for speed this is one neat sight. Sad to say the S.A. 5.56mm stuff shoots great but no longer available. The 303 British S.A. ammo also shot the best in my 1949 fazakerly #4MKII(jeex try saying fazeakerly three times fast) Shudda bought a case of the stuff. If off topic, my apologies. Frank